Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - Olé Coltrane (Atlantic 1373-2)

[​IMG]

3. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

[​IMG]
    This is the Verve/Analogue Productions hybrid SACD reissue originally recorded Dec. 11 & 12, 1961 by Rudy Van Gelder. Mastered at Sterling Sound by George Marino for this 2014 issue.
    Johnny Hodges plays melody on all tracks. His alto sax' buttery tone a perfect blend with the fifteen piece band. Strayhorn does not play. He did arrange and conduct in the Ellington tradition. I'm normally not a fan of big band jazz but this one is a winner, IMO. SQ is astonishingly good and that makes this very easy to listen too. I purchased this and several other SACD titles during Acoustic Sounds sale from a while back.
    Johnny was a master and he shows off his virtuosity on several tracks including "Don't Get Around Much Anymore", "Jeep's Blues", "Juice A-Plenty", and my favorite, "Stardust". Too bad there isn't a volume 2. Love this album on a sunny Wednesday.

KCLizard, peter1, vanhooserd and 12 others like this.
  4. lemonade kid

Always loved to listen to
    Marian MacPartland's radio show. Piano Jazz, on NPR.

She brought in so many jazz greats and when she and her guests did an improv together,
    that was highlight for me every time.

[​IMG]

5. lemonade kid

6. lemonade kid

KCLizard, Ray Cole, jcarter and 7 others like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Many of her shows are on cd--I have a few.

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The Bill Evans program is the only one I have and it's a treat to hear them talk shop and play together.

NP Don Friedman Trio - Timeless (EightyEight's/Sony) BSCD2 disc
    W/John Patitucci and Omar Hakim. Hakim is a little busier than I prefer in this type of material but he's a fine drummer.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP The Great Jazz Trio - Blue Minor (EightyEight's) Japanese SACD
    Hank Jones, George Mraz and Billy Kilson.

10. Lonson

Mostly Other People Do the Killing "Kind of Blue"
    [​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  11. dennis the menace

John Coltrane, Hank Mobley, Zoot Sims & Al Cohn - Tenor Conclave (Prestige/Analogue Productions CPRJ-7074 SA)

September 1956 recording from a set of Prestige tenor All-Stars accompanied by Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor.

[​IMG]

12. RCA Victor NL - 45977 [FSR 1985] - Charlie Barnet and his Orchestra " Redskin Romp" - rec. 1954

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I for one am looking forward to Makaya McCravan's new release. I don't see how you could call his music ambient, at least not unless your willing to group Headhunters and other jazz-funk groups as such. It's still improvised and draws on Black music forms, that's jazz in my book.

For my listening today, I'm starting out with another slice of Chicago's great contributions to the current scene: Irreversible Entanglements Who Sent You? on International Anthem 33.
    [​IMG]
    On another note, I seriously believe International Anthem is the closest thing the current jazz community has to a label like Impulse in the 60s or Tribe/Strata East/Black Jazz in the 70s. It feels like a label that's documenting a real, priori musical scene in a vital, necessary fashion. And just as importantly in my mind, doing it with artifacts (well pressed lps and CDs) that try to elevate the content within.

Hip-hop/jazz fusion and spiritual jazz revivalism are most certainly the jazz movements of the moment. Don't kid yourself, if you're not listening, you are missing the "new thing" in jazz.

Ray Cole, jay.dee, Plinko and 6 others like this.
  14. Lonson

Yazz Ahmed "Polyhymnia"
    [​IMG]

15. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Amazing album. I've been enjoying her albums since randomly running across a live set she posted on Bandcamp last month. To anyone who wants LP copies of her albums I'd say go for it now. When I was buying earlier this month her first album was already getting difficult to source.

davidpoole and Campbell Saddler like this.
  16. dennis the menace

I love this album and La Saboteuse as well. Great CD packaging also.

17. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Pete la Roca Basra (TOCJ-4205)
    Still the best CD edition imo.

18. RCA [Japan] RGP-1061 (M) - Red Norvo Sextert " Red's Rose Room / Red's Blue Room" rec. 1954 - feat. Tal Farlow (g)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I guess we hear it in very different ways. I don't hear Universal Beings as a funk album, where the Headhunters stuff clearly is. I haven't heard any other McCravan so I'm only talking about that album which principally consists of loop-like post hip hop drum grooves with musical atmospheres played over them not so much with a lead voice focus but with a focus on the ambiance and tone atmosphere, which is more like what ambient music is than like what funk is. Even if they are both examples of musicians coming from jazz and playing other contemporaneous music styles that aren't jazz (or mixing them with jazz sensibility or whatever), they aren't playing the same contemporaneous music style, the contemporaneous styles they're drawing from are different and a generation apart. Are either jazz? That's a debate that will never be resolved, or maybe long term history will resolve it. For me as a listener though, neither scratches the same itch that I get from listening to other kinds of jazz. And I don't concur that jazz = any kind of improvised music that draws on African American vernacular forms, so we probably have different ideas of what jazz is, if that matters. (Many jazz musicians have long been ambivalent and even hostile to the notion their music being boxed up as "jazz" to begin with.)

But you're right, spiritual jazz and post-hip hop jazz fusion certainly are au courant. I've heard a lot of it, but very little of it has rung any of my chimes yet. But I don't feel like I'm missing out. There's plenty of other kinds of new contemporary jazz being made. Too much, actually. I can't keep up. In some ways I wish there was less of it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Cal Tjader - Soul Burst (Verve) cd reissue/remaster 1998
    Part of the "Verve By Request" series remastered by Suha Gur at Polygram. That engineer's name doesn't mean anything to me so I don't know if it is good or bad but the cd sounds really good on my system.

Chick Corea is on piano plus some top drawer percusionists.

21. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I don't know this edition, but this is a fine session in a very typical of BN way despite at least two of the players not being regulars. And it's a prime example of my preference for Joe Hen as a sideman over his admittedly very good leader dates, this is as good or better than any of his leader dates and this and the other sideman dates have a far greater range than the leader dates. IMHO, YMMV, and yes I own all his vintage BN leader dates too, but very little after.

bigphatraj likes this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I think it's been clear for more than 2 years that this was a label to watch - probably since the debut albums from Irreversible Entanglements and also Jaimie Branch Fly Or Die. Both of those got some decent coverage on this thread at the time - and others too e.g. Jeff Parker, hear In Now, Ben LaMar Gay.

Fairly safe to buy anything they put out.

frightwigwam and alarickc like this.
  23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I picked this up on vinyl a few months ago - it was either this or the Complete Black Saint/Soul Note box but that had three 80s albums that I wasn't that fussed about. But this is great.

[​IMG]

Reader, jcarter, FunkJazz and 5 others like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jackie McLean - New Soil (Blue Note) Japanese 24bit RVG Remastered cd from 1999.

25. BlueIsland

BlueIsland Forum Resident

Now Playing

Stan Getz - Getz Au Go Go - Verve V6 8600

1964 First pressing US stereo vinyl

Love that Astrud Gilberto - "Only Trust Your Heart"