Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I tried listening to this this evening. It just shows that a jazz album is not like a western classical music score that can faithfully be reproduced note for note by a great musician to recreate a similar kind of magic.

2. BlueIsland

BlueIsland Forum Resident

Jack Kerouac lived in your home? That is really really Interesting. Like many, I am a huge fan of his writing.

Any stories you may wish to tell?

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the year 2000, this was officially declared "The Louis Armstrong Millenium"

It is the first millenium that began under the aura and influence of Louis Armstrong.

We still have almost another thousand years to celebrate.

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Marian McPartland's "Piano Jazz" may well be the most important jazz radio broadcast program of all time. Over it's history, it probably produced more hours of original music than any other series, and all of it was recorded in top studio quality. The musicians formed a wide spectrum across jazz history and she gave them an opportunity to play personal pieces that were often overlooked by the record companies.

On top of all that, she was a superior and gentle interviewer who enabled musicians to speak freely and reveal their personality as few recorded interviews achieve.

Her guests respected her and she respected her guests. That was the secret.

[​IMG]

KCLizard, Irish51, vanhooserd and 8 others like this.
  5. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Thanks for posting about this album: after sampling some tracks, I ordered the Polyhymnia and La Saboteuse CDs from Ahmed's Bandcamp page :thumbsup:

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No, my mother knew him and we bought and moved into his home (1959) when he decided he needed to go underground and have absolutely no one know where he lived outside of a few friends. Even the media (TV, magazines, etc) thought he still lived at our house for years. Hitch-hikers who wanted to meet him came to our door for years too, including (my mother believed) Bob Dylan just after he arrived in NYC. She invited the hitch-hikers in for a meal after telling them she didn't know where Jack was. We had guests fairly often.

But the hitch-hikers were very close as Jack moved only about a quarter to half a mile away. No one could telephone him, because he never had a phone. Not even an "unlisted" number...no phone at all. He hated a bell that interrupted his spontaneous writing.

I have many stories about him (and have posted some) but for the moment, I'll rest on it.

He did come back to our house looking for his kitty cat a few times. If he could not find her, he got worried that she may have found her way back to our house

[​IMG]

peter1, jcarter, JazzFanatic and 10 others like this.
  7. BlueIsland

Last one for today:

Tommy Flanagan, Piano with George Mraz, bass and Al Foster, drums

Giant Steps (In Memory Of John Coltrane) - Enja Records 4022

1982 West German vinyl

Flanagan has such a great touch

8. BlueIsland

Thanks so much for this - hey, Jack was a fellow cat lover. Well, we have that in common anyway.

frightwigwam likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My mother is gone now, so I cannot confirm this. But (at least in 1959), I don't think Jack Kerouac had a television either (in addition to no telephone and no car).

This is not at all shocking to me. I didn't even have a television until after I was 40 and had a family.

These things are distractions!

But.... records, CDs and stereo systems....these are spiritual things that help free your soul.

peter1, jcarter, JazzFanatic and 15 others like this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I think it's fascinating. To be honest the biggest differences to me are the sound of the saxophonists and the actual recording sound itself--the "room" of the Columbia studio is sadly missed. I like to listen to this every now and then and think about it.

Ray Cole likes this.
  11. The McPartland doc looks promising. I watched the 5 min trailer which is worth folks time
    Watch In Good Time: The Piano Jazz of Marian McPartland Online | Vimeo On Demand

and delighted to see audio archive of Piano Jazz online.
    Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  12. the Polyhymnia tricolor LP has to be one of the loveliest packaging jobs

listening on Spotify now

13. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...ain’t that the truth! :agree::thumbsup:

davidpoole likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I could never go along with people who say that my music collection represents materialism, that these are just objects that should be downsized.

The music collection represents my search for my soul, and I cannot downsize that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have heard that Canadian Cats are mellower than Cats from the States, that they do not hiss or scratch as often. Just friendlier to everyone.

It seems likely enough to me that I am willing to risk prison time for smuggling cats across the Lake, by canoe or kayak, though that in itself may permanently damage the cat's psyche.

[​IMG]

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many years ago, I contacted a film director who had completed a documentary on Kerouac. After we talked for a bit, he said he would send me a poster about his film. He sent me a box of about 100. They are pretty much all gone to friends by now.

The photo was based on this ( a b&w version)

[​IMG]

the color negative was not well balanced

[​IMG]

It was later used as a book cover.

There were other images that night.

These all probably represent only about four seconds of Jack's life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ernie Watts - Classic Moods (XRCD)
    Great player who doesn't get much mention here.

18. Vote For Miles

Vote For Miles Forum Resident

Man what an AMAZING musician... My favorite trumpeter alongside Miles Davis and Booker Little...

19. Campbell Saddler

The album title befits the AACM lineage and Ornette On Tenor sound--I especially enjoyed the interplay between Drake and Rudolph:

Fred Anderson--The Missing Link

Anderston (ts); Larry Hayrod (b); Hamid Drake (d); Adam Rudolph (perc)

[​IMG]

"The Bull" starts at 30:36 of this album video:

20. Campbell Saddler

I love hearing Pepper Adams in this non-hard bop context--he makes for a distinctive mix of horns with Farrell and Coleman:

Elvin Jones--Poly-Currents (from the Mosaic set The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sessions)

Jones (d); Joe Farrell (ts, Eng horn, fl); George Coleman (ts); Pepper Adams (baritone sax); Fred Tompkins (fl); Wilbur Little (b); Candido Camero (cga)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Agenda":

21. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

The Other Side Of The Sun - Sun Ra And His Arkestra
    Sun Ra: acoustic & Fender Rhodes pianos, percussion, bells & vocals;
    Reeds: John Gillmore/ Marshall Allen/ James Jacson/ Elo Omoe/ Danny Davis/ Danny Thompson;
    Trumpets: Eddie Gale/ Walter Miller/ Michael Ray;
    Trombones: Tony Bethel/ Robin Eubanks; French Horn: Vincent Chancey;
    Bass: Oscar Brown Jr./ Bob Cunningham/ Ben Jereeboo Henderson (Jaribu Shahid);
    Guitar: Dale Williams; Percussion: Atakatune/ Luqman Ali/ William Goffigan/ Eddie Thomus;
    Vocals: June Tyson

[​IMG]

22. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Today Sinatra 57 in Concert the 24 Karat Gold Disc arrived... mastered by our host Steve ...what can i say it's stunning playing through my Klipsch Quartets just now as a first listen ...this will get much more play ....

thanks Steve for this album and thanks to those that recommended this particular version here and elsewhere ...

vanhooserd and Campbell Saddler like this.
  23. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Larry Young Unity (UCCQ-5049)
    Blue Note 75th anniversary SHM-CD from 2014.
    Continuing with Joe Henderson on Blue Note. Very good sounding remaster and the 4(!) previously unreleased alternate takes are very much worth hearing.

KCLizard, bluemooze, Xelfo and 13 others like this.
  24. Gugaz

Gugaz Forum Resident

For many years i used the track "Brown Rice" to evaluate new hifi components

Mike6565 likes this.

25. Like that very much. Good philosophy!
    ;-}