Discogs...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by averica, Jul 15, 2020.

1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

anyone ever actually used their marketplace? i was perusing some stuff and saw some things i might like to buy but i've never purchased anything on there and was wondering if anyone uses it without issue(not getting stuff, getting stuff damaged,etc)

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...use it quite often, maybe too much. :D No issues really. I ask the seller questions before purchasing making sure it’s as described/advertised.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    black sheriff and greelywinger like this.
  3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I only got one thing from their marketplace - a library disc album, two of whose pieces were used on The Benny Hill Show. I have a few others to go, as there are some questions as to certain stock musics used on the program I still have though I sewed up many others.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I've sold about 3-4 Beatles items on there, no issues....

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Since 5 years I often buy LPs and CDs there and had no big issues so far.

Dave likes this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I buy lots of stuff through them. If you're not buying new titles direct from the label or artist, though, I'd advise checking the seller's rating before ordering and scrolling through the other items they have for sale. If everything is either Mint or Near Mint, I'd be a bit suspicious. And, if you're paying premium prices (more than $100, say) for a specific rare edition of an album, email the seller before sending the money to confirm that they actually do have the exact edition they've listed. A lot of sellers just go by title, not by catalog or matrix #.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I buy several CDs from them every month. I have had one problem over four or five years, so one out of around 300 transactions is not too bad.

8. averica

just what i need.ANOTHER place to spend money on music lol

BillM, uzn007, Instant Dharma and 4 others like this.
  9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I've deposited a lot of my retirement funds there.

10. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...you asked. :D

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve never used Discogs. Considering how much I buy online from eBay and the like, I suppose that’s a bit odd.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I have recently just started and I have ordered 4 records over last month and half. Have not had an issues shipping wise and all came as described. One guy sent pictures when i requested. My main thing is looking at sellers recent reviews and last time he/she sold something. If reviews are good and looks like they have recently sold items, I pulled trigger. Probably biggest thing to watch out for because people have been scammed before there. Just my two cents but your wallet will be hurting more then that now! haha

RSteven likes this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I use it all the time, and love it. As suggested, though, it’s for third party sellers, so you may have issues with the sellers.

I sell through there, but I’m just a collector not an active business person. That’s one of it’s charms, though, finding other collectors who are willing to part with some of their collection. As 93curr said upthread you’ll also find artists and labels and indie shops selling there, too.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. averica

what's that? i couldnt hear you over the sound of me typing in my debit card number

uzn007, Dave, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Never ever any issues.
    People are honest.
    And if a seller has a bad rating, then don’t use him/her.
    Also, it’s always possible to return an album if it’s not up to your standards.
    They use Paypal.
    Recommended.

andrewskyDE and Jarleboy like this.
  16. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's far more reliable than Ebay, but the gradings people issue are a bit generous.

LivingForever and greelywinger like this.
  17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I've bought many items there, and only had one problem that could have been avoided if I'd read the reviews more carefully. After several months of getting no replies from the seller I contacted PayPal and got my money back.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I have made several purchases from sellers overseas with any issues. I have a bunch of stuff for sale on there that I don't want anymore. Turns out nobody else wants it, either. Come on, the VHS tapes and sleeves are in excellent condition!

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just started using it myself in the last month in order to find some rare CD's that had outrageous costs on eBay, and I actually saved quite a bit of money for some hard to find Elvis FTD's ( A speciality label created for his diehard fans) and a Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazelwood greatest hits collection. Some stuff comes from Europe, so there is some additional shipping time on those CD's, but so far, so good.

20. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Yes, very odd. :wtf:

uzn007 likes this.
  21. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Imagine shopping for car but not being able to see a picture of it, yeah that's Discogs

impalaboy likes this.
  22. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

And the seller can't even send you a picture of the "car" you want to buy without using an image hosting site or communicating with you outside of Discogs. I really dislike that part of the Marketplace.

cwitt1980 and Christian Hill like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You are going to encounter the similar issues on Discogs as any other online marketplace that deals with the selling of used records.

It won't necessarily be different to your experience on say eBay. You might luck out and have 10 great transactions vs 5 good and 5 bad on eBay but eventually you'll get 5 good, 5 bad on discogs vs 10 good on eBay. :)

My only advice is to read feedback for the seller (don't just look at the rating, look at what people wrote) and if you are looking for a specific pressing then send a message to the seller to confirm the one he has is the one you are looking for.

Some people like to ask for pictures. That's fine but a lot of sellers won't bother as many of them feel it's a waste of time (plenty complain that it hardly ever leads to sale) so if you do, make it clear as to what you are trying to verify and if you can verify that detail you will buy the record. Sellers are more likely to treat you as someone who isn't just kicking tires. Most of the time, when I ask, I tell them if they just confirm a certain detail then I don't need any pictures.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You don't need to communicate with them outside of Discogs outside of just getting an email with the photos. Once they send you an email with the photos, don't reply to that email, just reply within Discogs. This is what I do. No conversation takes place via private emails. That way any discussions that might need to be referenced by Discogs can still be referenced. But any issues are usually dealt with via PayPal if the seller is being troublesome and PayPal doesn't care about out messages via Discogs or otherwise.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

99% of pics won't show the condition of a record anyway.

Lost In The Flood, Myke and Dave like this.