Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Is that his latest book? I know he has a new one out. I enjoy his podcast when I have time to listen. As for the product I don't watch WWE anymore. I guess I have aged out of the demo. But I do enjoy AEW and NWA Powerrr.

Found Survivor Series 1996 last night on FS1 and it was great to see that! I hope FS1 keeps airing old PPV's.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Johnny "Mr. Wrestling II" Walker dead at age 85 - Pro Wrestling Dot Net

'Mr. Wrestling II' Johnny Walker Has Passed Away | WrestleTalk

Johnny “Mr. Wrestling II” Walker obituary: wrestler dies at 85 – Legacy.com

Yes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  3. Adam6437

Adam6437 Forum Resident

4. MikaelaArsenault

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

6. MikeInFla

Tessa Blanchard’s Impact Wrestling run is at an end after the company terminated her contract, vacating the World Championship in the process. PWInsider has confirmed with Impact that Tessa Blanchard, who was the reigning champion, has had her championship terminated.

According to the site, the situation between Blanchard and Impact went cold in recent weeks, an issue that escalated after Blanchard did not sent Impact promos from Mexico where she has been living since the June 1st episode of Impact. Impact was forced to re-edit the episode when they didn’t receive the footage, which was going to be edited into a sit-down interview with Joey Mathews via “satellite.”

The site notes that there were attempts to get her to return and lose the championship but they were not able to come to terms. Blanchard’s contract was set to expire before Slammiversary and when it became obvious they could not get her to return for a final appearance, the company decided to go ahead and end her contract, vacating the title.

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I smell a lawsuit coming.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

9. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

10. MikeInFla

I was wondering the same thing. I think she burned that bridge with WWE but never say never when it comes to WWE. She could be good in AEW. I don't have Axs channel anymore (for some reason the cable company dropped it a few years ago) so I haven't seen Impact and have never seen Tessa.

11. MikaelaArsenault

This says:

On June 25, Blanchard's contract, originally set to expire June 30, was terminated and she was stripped of the Impact World Championship after the two sides were not able to come to terms.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/impact-wrestling-terminates-contract-tessa-blanchard-impact-world-title-vacant

IMPACT WRESTLING TERMINATES TESSA BLANCHARD, STRIPS HER OF IMPACT CHAMPIONSHIP | PWInsider.com

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The “Eye For An Eye” Rollins-Mysterio match could be the stupidest **** WWE has ever attempted. The winner must literally pluck out their opponent’s eye. Yeah, okay.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Brooks was a mainstay in the Sheik's Detroit territory in the 70s. Found out that he was huge in Texas when I was there.
    Stinky cigar.

15. MikeInFla

I think Jericho has already called them out for doing the same thing AEW did with Moxley, altough I don't think they called it that.

RayS and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. RayS

The plan apparently is to make the match "cinematic" and to CGI the eye removal. I guess if Mysterio re-ups his contract, he'll have "an artificial eye" for the rest of his career. There's no way for this to turn out well.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My suspension of disbelief does not cover the unbelievable. The boys and the girls want to work, I get that. But Jebus, this stuff AIN'T wrestling!

18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

19. MikeInFla

I bailed on Raw over 3 years ago. Last year or so I even stopped reading the recaps on wrestling news sites. I just don't care anymore. I've moved on from WWE. While I still love a lot of the old matches I feel there is too much time spent talking. I do happen to flip thru channel and catch it from time to time but I would say 95% of the time the portion I catch has NO wrestling, just talking. I'm looking foward to NWA Powerrr coming back. Until then I have old Smokey Mountain, AWA, WWF and AEW I can watch.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I haven't followed WWE in about 20 years. That new NWA show was speaking my language, though. I'd like more of that.

Speaking of AWA I sure do wish we could have another DVD set of classic AWA action. They gave us 2 measly discs? C'mon.

Do they even do DVD anymore? Maybe it's all streaming now. I'm out of touch. I watch a lot of old stuff on youtube and on the replay reels of my mind. Oh no! Colonel DeBeers just pile drived Jimmy Snuka into the floor! Repeatedly!!!

905, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. RayS

Even though the product is definitely weakened by the lack of a proper audience, I've watched more WWE product since the pandemic started simply because I am home more and because the NBA disappeared. The return of the NBA will mark the end of me following WWE weekly programming, apart from NXT, which continues to be head and shoulders above the other two brands. I'll watch the PPV on Sunday, but I'm expecting a different type of "horror show" than is advertised. It might be time to rethink my network subscription, but I would hate to miss the Royal Rumble, which has always been my favorite PPV and is twice as good since they added a women's match.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

They do but nowhere near as many as they did before the Network. Their DVD sales are probably extremely niche now.
    AWA is a fairly niche thing to make a DVD out of. It isn't like old WWF or WCW were there is a much larger audience who will buy that old footage. I know the AWA was one of the bigger territories before it had its steep decline post-85 but I don't think the people who were buying WWE DVDs in the '00s were going to buy old AWA footage.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

Yeah, I have that AWA disc. Would love to see more classic matches. I used to have ESPN Classic and watch it on there. Even the terrible era was fun to watch (from the Showboat in Vegas) with terrible matches from Rocky Mountain Thunder.

And Teijo Kahn who wasn't even close to looking Asian. Those were some great shows!

From what I understand Cornette said all of the SMW is on YouTube if you don't have the WWE network (I don't have it and haven't checked to see if all of them are on YT but I have seen a lot of episodes on there).

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  24. Live Professional Sports need a live audience. Sports Entertainment absolutely has to have one in order to “work”. For the most part it has been a chore to watch. It has one redeeming quality - it puts me right back to sleep when I wake in the middle of the night if I put it on the DVR.

WWE RAW & Smackdown have handled this the worst. NXT has been OK. AEW has handled it the best - Heels cheer on the Heels, Faces cheer the Faces. Having only the Faces being cheered all the time doesn’t work. ROH is basically just highlights of old PPV’s, so it depends entirely who they are featuring as to whether on not it’s worthwhile.

I take that back. Impact has handled this the worst. I watched (FastForwarded through) the first match this week and just deleted the rest. No Plan. No interesting stories. Poor Wrestling.

Haven’t tried the other Promotions.

25. MikeInFla

Well this sucks:

Fightful Select has an update on the future of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). According to Fightful, NWA has “no firm plans moving forward” at the moment. The news comes not long after Raven stated in an interview with Hannibal TV earlier this week that owner Billy Corgan is planning to shut down the promotion.

NWA is currently on a hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, former company Vice President Dave Lagana exited the promotion after allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced against him during the #SpeakingOut movement.

Fightful reports that NWA Worlds heavyweight champion Nick Aldis was considered as a replacement for Lagana’s post, but he doesn’t have Lagana’s particular skill set. NWA roster members are reportedly very fond of Billy Corgan, who treats them with respect, but he’s not been very active lately with the promotion.

Additionally, wrestlers under contract with the promotion found out about Lagana’s exist when the general public did as well. Before that happened, NWA was holding weekly Zoom meetings with about 12 people to go over the direction of Carnyland, which is said to be cancelled for right now. As previously noted, after the company shakeup with Lagana, wrestlers were told that if they didn’t believe in the vision for company going forward they were given the option to leave.