Black Sabbath Paranoid Best Vinyl Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I feel like I usually see Spaceships go for around 30$. Maybe thats a good deal, but I only do good deals anyway.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

I just got Spaceship for 35$. Looks NM, wish me luck.

sathvyre and latheofheaven like this.
  3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Thank you @latheofheaven for almost singlehandedly keeping the Sabbath pressing torch burning! When I finally get a crack at those Vertigos (one of these years) I will report back.

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

35 usd? If so, somewhat remarkable!

5. Slick Willie

Is a hi rez version of the Magee offered?

6. Leonthepro

Well here in Sweden, so actually 350kronor.

Sounds quite good, some ticks at times so close to EX Id say.

latheofheaven and Slick Willie like this.
  7. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

That sounds awesome Bro! :righton: Do let us know how it sounds when you get a chance to listen.

8. latheofheaven

Heh... Nooooooo... although that is nice of you. Many of these others know and have contributed WAY more than I have :)

I just foolishly allowed myself to get ROPED IN by the clever wiles of @Slick Willie , that's all... [​IMG]

Slick Willie and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. latheofheaven

That is what I thought too, especially if it is hopefully in that good of condition. Believe me, I looked before I shagged this WWA!

Slick Willie and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

Well, this post is from 2016, so my Paranoid journey has gained three new additions (and a subtraction) since then. I have since acquired a UK WWA Paranoid with Vertigo stampers. I love it so much that I parted ways with the 2016 deluxe version and haven't regretted it. Along the way, I also came upon a wall-shaking German Vertigo swirl with VERY heavy bass that is a fun alternative. To top it off, I also found a very clean US quad version for a decent price. I don't have a quad system, but I enjoy hearing the different flavor of this odd mix in stereo. I'm feeling fairly set with this trio.

I am still happy with my early US Greenie Artisan cuts of S/T and Master of Reality (both are very clean and quiet pressings, so that helps) and haven't had the urge to seek better pressings.

11. I just picked up a Canadian Pressing from 1979 cut @ The Lacquer Channel, and it sounds suprisingly great, with tons of bass

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. latheofheaven

Well then... It must be nice to have untold wealth... [​IMG]

Heh, seriously that sounds great. I'm looking forward to giving my WWA a good workout soon when I have the chance. Since you evidently prefer it to the Sean Magee, I will be very curious to hear the comparison.

Yes, I agree about the S/T Greenie. Very nice sounding and definitely an improvement over the 2010 McMaster analog pressing (although it is not too terribly far off from it, which is surprising being that it is a McMaster vinyl pressing)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't have an original Vertigo to compare, but I enjoy the 2016 Sean Magee cut. My point of comparison is the 1976 UK NEMS, which is a little brighter, very crunchy, and frankly the way I have heard the album most of my life. The darker, almost silky sound of the 2016 is a nice contrast.

(I've heard several rips of original Vertigo LP as well, but I don't consider hearing someone's rip to be equivalent to hearing an actual LP)

14. latheofheaven

Yep, I'd agree...

Yeah, I have a very good Pbthal rip using his outta this world equipment of the 1st UK, and I don't know in the translation what the hell happened, but it just doesn't seem to sound that good (others have said that too) I KNOW you really hafta crank the original, and I'm looking forward to doing that with my new WWA w/Vertigo stampers when I get a chance. I have a LOT of his rips and most do sound quite good, where even on my mediocre 2nd system (which I use for digital) I can hear the quality come through on most, but I have no bloody idea what happened with his rip of the UK Paranoid...

15. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Have you the 2016 pressings of S/T and MOR too? And if so, how do they stack up? I have the Sanctuary pressings for the first three albums (along with this Aussie Vertigo of Paranoid I mention above now), an early UK Vertigo of Vol. 4 and the Chris Bellman pressings of SBS and Sabotage. In other words I'm pretty set with Vol.4, SBS, Sabotage, but am left wanting somewhat for the first three albums... so am keen to know if the Magees for S/T and MOR are worth considering.... whilst I continue to trawl Discogs etc for affordable WWA/Spaceships...

latheofheaven and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. latheofheaven

Unfortunately, I'm the wrong one to ask about that...

Now, if it had been a subject where I was more conversant...

[​IMG]

OH DAMN, $h*t!!! Hit the wrong key, Geez... :oops:

*cough... Uh, as I was saying, since I do not have all of those pressings to compare I really cannot give you any objective impressions about how the Sean Magee pressings compare. I WILL say that as far as the S/T goes, I chose the 2010 Ron McMaster over the Magee because I liked the presentation better. And, now that I have a 1st Greenie, the McMaster is very close to that, but that Greenie definitely beats it.

As far as MOR, the only pressing I have is Sean Magee's (Green vinyl I think) so I really don't have anything to compare, sorry about that mate... But, MANY others here I'm sure would be able to help you with that.

17. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Hahaha! The ol’ wrong key trick huh? It’ll get ya..
    No probs re: pressing comparison - thanks for the reply all the same. Interested that you prefer the McMaster - from what I’ve read here it seems to get very mixed reviews ... I’m keen to hear it now.
    As for the Magees, I’m so annoyed I didn’t pick them up earlier - about a year ago they were in every record store in plentiful supply - now they are nowhere. I guess as I had only recently bought the Sanctuary’s when the Rhinos arrived I didn’t give the latter a second thought...

18. latheofheaven

Yeah, I was shocked when I checked the prices on these coloured vinyl releases! I don't buy NEARLY as many albums as most do here, but it just worked out strangely that some of the ones I've purchased in the last few years (a few of Rush remasters, the mono 1/2 speed Abby Road Disraeli Gears, the Hoffman 2-45 Rumours, for example) have really gone up! I'm glad that I stumbled upon the ones when I did...

I heard a comparison of the Magee S/T and the McMaster. In this case, I found the Magee way too shrouded and dark (whereas his Paranoid DOES indeed fit the original darker sound better) I mean, I could barely hear the cymbals at all. The McMaster, FWIW, very closely approaches the sound of the 1st Greenie, which many here highly praise.

Byrie likes this.
  19. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

20. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

So am I reading this right that the vinyl version is using the 2016 remaster? Based on some reviews here, the 2016 was a decent (enough) version? I don't know if the other bonus material is worth the price of $110...

Black Sabbath / Paranoid box sets | superdeluxeedition

21. Slick Willie

Could buy a nice UK cut for that money!

neubian and latheofheaven like this.
  22. latheofheaven

:laugh: :agree:

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Has anyone heard a French Vertigo? Either the original or ‘72/‘74 repress? If so, keen to hear your thoughts...

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I have a French Vertigo Swirl. It is awesome.

latheofheaven and Byrie like this.
  25. latheofheaven

Yeah... It's usually the feeling I get when I try to watch French films...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.