Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

The 50th anniversary of the Let It Be album passed over two months ago but we still have not heard anything about anniversary releases. At first, I thought that it might have been held up due to Covid 19. However, since other releases have been announced like the Get Back movie and the Rolling Stones Goat's Head Soup releases, I am beginning to lose hope.

The Sgt. Pepper and White Album releases came as pleasant surprises to me. After those two, I was expecting Abbey Road packages and perhaps Let It Be packages. I wasn't as hopeful with Let It Be because it was not a favorite of the surviving Beatles and because of the 2003 Let It Be Naked release.

However, I still held out hope that something would be released. There is so much great material that could have been included in a deluxe package. We can only hope for a companion cd/lp release with the two movies.

I would have also liked to see a release of the original UK album with the book (with better binding) and an analogue mastered LP, perhaps from the original stampers. I knew that was very unlikely but one can always dream.

Wingsfan2012, phillyal1 and DK Pete like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The audio box set was supposedly going to be released along with the Peter Jackson GET BACK film. That film is delayed for over a year because of the pandemic, not coming out now until late August 2021.

The audio set is likely delayed as well, as one of our insiders has stated. BUT since Apple never announced any anniversary audio set in the first place, they don't have to mention that it is delayed. (Sort of a Catch-22 type of thing).

Still, anything is subject to change. Maybe Apple will rethink their plans with the ever-changing COVID-19 situation.

3. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I believe Apple will rethink plans, and drop the LIB50 box this December to capture the holiday sales market, then when the film comes out next August, they'll release a stand-alone single-disc "The Beatles: Get Back" soundtrack with all the same visuals/branding as the film--having saved a few choice nuggets and different mixes from the big box set to be on the Get Back Soundtrack. That way, they get two bites at the same Apple, so to speak. Just my two cents.

obi, The Quiet One, Bern and 11 others like this.
  4. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

All unreleased tracks from 1970 will lose copyright protection in the EU at the end of this year, so they can't delay the release anyway.

phillyal1, Jmac1979 and 7solqs4iago like this.
  5. beatleroadie

I hope a The Beatles: Get Back soundtrack is like an improved LIB Naked, with some life into it, better mixes, some studio chatter, a loose jam or two, but best takes combined, just none of the Spector stuff added.

The LIB50 box can celebrate the original album, the Spector stuff, and have tons of really raw live sessions, rehearsals, the rooftop, etc.

lordcat, Woodville and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

That is ONE SONG: "I Me Mine" --- recorded January 3, 1970.
    (Really two songs: Since they did a bit of "Peggy Sue Got Married" during the session for "I Me Mine".)

Everything else is from 1969, and the copyright already expired at the end of 2019 for everything but "I Me Mine".

As mentioned before, Apple does not care one wit about the copyright. They feel that they can avoid any problems through various means.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    nikh33, goodiesguy, DK Pete and 5 others like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was always a delay when it comes to the Get Back / Let It Be projects.
    Comparing the album's 50th anniversary right on time and the general global situation right now... ugh, what a coincidence...

saborlord123 and blutiga like this.
  8. beatleroadie

And yet many, many artists are releasing brand new material, and in physical format, in 2020 amid the pandemic. Yes there's a health crisis, but artists should make art even during crisis. And having all this audio material on hand and ready as an archival release, I see no reason not to put it out. It'll bring so much joy to people.

9. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Has it been confirmed that there is even going to *be* a “big box” as opposed to simply a revamped soundtrack for the film? I was always kind of skeptical of this.

10. Arnold Grove

It is impossible to confirm something when there has not been any announcement about any audio set---whether an anniversary set or a soundtrack.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm, I thought our insiders here gave us a little hint there might be a box set similar to the previous albums' anniversary releases.
    Of course I could be very wrong though.

applejam101 likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Yes, those insiders have stated that. BUT one cannot consider that to be a confirmation. It is just an "insider tip", which (no matter how accurate at the time) may be subject to change.

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

The Beatles have re-released their albums several times over, since 1970.

joy stinson and ARK like this.
  14. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

The point was related to previously unreleased material.

Stallings, phillyal1, ARK and 2 others like this.
  15. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

:laugh:

16. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

I hope that soon after the release of Flaming Pie a new Beatles-related release will be announced (Plastic Ono Band deluxe and/or All Things Must Pass deluxe). After that we will possibly may know whether a Let It Be deluxe fits in the schedule this year. Although I have no factual information, I still don't rule out a Let It Be deluxe for 2020.

17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I’d say very accurate in these Covid-19 times. It has had an obvious effect in planning and every other stage at this point and the longer we are in this mess, the more things become subject to change. But at this point, things seem to be in flux , so maybe nothing out of the realm of possibilities. At this point, hope for the best but expect the worst

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

The 50th anniversary of the Magical Mystery Tour album passsed over two and a half years ago but we still have not heard anything about an anniversary release for that.... o_O

jerseyboydavid and bluemooze like this.
  19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

i’d say the MMT 50th ship has sailed. However, there was very, very good intel that a LIB box was coming.

20. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Christmas in hell for Beatles fans: LIB 50, JL/POB 50, Flaming Pie 25, ATMP 50...

MrMarty likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

22. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

To me, that is the optimal solution. I’ve been hoping for this since the announcement of the movie’s delay. This makes perfect sense to me. You get a boxed set celebrating the album in a similar manner as the previous three, and then when the Get Back movie premieres you can have a soundtrack complete with its own branding.

saborlord123, beatleroadie and JoeF. like this.
  23. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Tough economy, big ticket item, older clientele, people afraid to go to retail stores, potential health risk for those who do, add it all up and it's not a very Beatle-like thing to do.

Next year, when things are back to normal (God willing) we'll all be in the right frame of mind for a celebratory Beatles event.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Also. when the film comes out, it will help move a few more copies of the Box Set.

The Quiet One and beatleroadie like this.
  25. JimBop

JimBop Forum Resident

Didn't the Hey Jude album get released as a stop gap when the original Let It Be was delayed? Maybe powers that be ship a 50th of that album to keep us going in these lean times

arcamsono and Woodville like this.