Your Complete Music Collection On...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudioAddict, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's 2022, Covid-19 has mutated four times and the populations of the world are dropping like flies. Your uncle, Elon Musk (richest man in the world by far), has bought an island for you in the South Pacific with a comfortable home and lavish listening palace – designed with the highest of the high end equipment and perfect acoustics (bar optional). You will be spending 8+ hours a day here.
    But Musk has a peculiar stipulation: you can only select one media format for the rendering of your entire music collection (hundreds, thousands, tens of...whatever the count). Here are the rules:
    1. Your choice includes the physical nature of the medium – vinyl requires the trips to the turntable and digital requires selection and manipulation from an appropriate media engine (assume most of you will select JRiver).
    2. All media types are assumed to have been produced with the highest of high-end recording, mastering, and physical production.
    3. Inherent qualities such as physical size, program notes, picture qualities are all factors you must live with.
    4. You will get new music in this format as it comes out but no replacement copies.
    SO TELL US YOUR PREFERENCE for this new life in a quiet kind of heaven. And vote accordingly...

bever70 likes this.
  2. noway

noway Forum Resident

Definitely digital Hi-Res. I would hope Uncle Musk would also gift me a harem of 100 beautiful girls and I couldn't be leaving them every 20 minutes to flip records. I would have to add some "mood music" to my collection.

AudioAddict likes this.
  3. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Does he also provide the library? Because mine is combination of vinyl and CDs and if I need to choose one, then thanks but thanks.

4. AudioAddict

The assumption is that your entire library is revised into the chosen format. Time travel is, of course, involved...(LOL).

5. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Dear uncle,

Thank you for your generous offer. You know I love you and all but I have to decline. I know you can buy anything money can buy, but you can't buy something that doesn't exist and quite a few albums in my collection were released only on CD, while this is not my preferable format generally speaking. I promise to visit you regularly and we'll have wonderful listening session, but for the sake of my sanity I'm staying put.

Your favorite nephew.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Pretty much what I have now: High-resolution multichannel PCM (or DSD) from my server.
    Just one question: Is my wife included?

7. AudioAddict

That will be Elon's decision -- contact him directly (LOL).

8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I guess it will be negotiable.

AudioAddict likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

CD

CDFanatic and siebrand like this.
  10. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

24/96 vinyl rip

11. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I have my entire collection in FLAC redbook and a few high-res. So I didn't vote as none of the options appeal to me.

shaboo and Grant like this.
  12. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

None of the above. Given a choice I'd be happy with 16/44.1 FLAC or high bitrate MP3 stored on a local SSD or NAS.

Grant likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

So double thanks? :D

14. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

What does uncle Elon have against CDs

15. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I'd opt for the hi-res digital, though I rather like having my collection spread across several different formats and tend to concentrate on a particular format on each day. Today is a files/streams day; another might be vinyl or CD or cassette or reel-to-reel or eight-track or SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray Audio.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

OK. I cannot answer because the vast majority of the music I have now was not produced with the highest quality on any format, but sure would never want to live without it. I would want the remainder of anything I get to be of that level, though.

That said, i'd want digital files. But, I think your choices only address it from a purely consumer perspective. I absolutely have to have the ability to make backups and manipulate the files.

So, I guess i'm out. I'll just ask Elon Musk to just give me a well-paying job so I can spend my money as I please. Besides, that little South Pacific island might be hit by a tsunami one day.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't need a harem. Too much work. All I need is one woman. I have one in mind already.:love:

18. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

Dear Uncle Musk, please put some money into tinnitus / hyperacusis research first. Having all these lovely discs makes no sense if you cannot enjoy them. With my current audiogram, you should've offered an option for mildewy 8-track tapes. My younger ears were happy being abused by either analogue or digital. But I can't remember if I own something if it is just a file, so I'd better have some physical copies around so I can organize / fetishize them. Your ungrateful and overly picky nephew.

timind and Crimson Witch like this.
  19. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

x None of the above

Perfectly happy with cd's. The only digital choice given is too space consuming and the only music produced with the highest of high-end recording, mastering, and physical production would have to be some kind of new music, of which there is a miniscule amount that I have found that I care for. So give me my old flawed favorites on cd, wait, I've already got them. The future is now!

20. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

The bar is NOT optional!

21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I'll take the harem and educate them on how to cue up records and change sides....suitably 'dressed' for the occasion of course :angel:.

timind and SirMarc like this.
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’m not playing this game :cheers:

23. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

This poll is definitely missing a digital "CD Quality" option. 192/32 is a total waste of space - and yes, if you have TB's of music and multiple backups this DOES matter.

Gaslight and anorak2 like this.
  24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

None of the above

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I chose digital high res as it's the closest option. But my specifics are more lossless in general with 24/96 fine for high res.

That includes CD and vinyl rips too so it's all in the same library.

Rolling Stone and shaboo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.