Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, but with all due respect I see Amazon trucks moving all day, every day and now even on Sundays. FedEx does Sundays now.
    Products are being manufactured and shipped to customers. It was understandable that March /April would have caught manufacturing by surprise, but most have adapted by now.
    There's no reason why a Let it Be Box can't be readied, released and shipped to consumers by Christmas.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That wasn't the reason. Allen Klein saw big $$$ on the horizon by releasing the Hey Jude album.

Diego Lucas, jmxw, Woodville and 4 others like this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Part of that is their loyalty to brick and mortar record stores who I am sure are lobbying for a delayed release. The last thing those small businesses need are more of their customers running to Amazon. Those Beatles releases are huge for record shops, they sell a lot more than boxed sets from that traffic.

And all the releases help each other. The movie helps the super deluxe, the super deluxe helps the movie, the book, etc. etc. so without a strong movie turnout its going to hurt record sales.

It's not the right time for a celebratory release for a 50 year old product. It can wait. And it should.

OptimisticGoat and Trixmay 988 like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Om.

5. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I hope the streaming versions are released first, and the physical can be delayed.

6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What Brick & Mortar stores bring in for music sales is pennies on the dollar compared to what TheBeatles.com, Amazon and other sites bring in for Apple/The Beatles. The LIB50 box set might delayed along with the film, but there's little chance the delay will be because Apple feels some kind loyalty to the likes of Barnes & Noble, Target and indie record stores. Besides, all those shops are open now, and people can swipe their credit cards with a mask on the same as they used to without a mask.

Would LIB5o really get more sales in August next year compared to holidays this year with an "Anniversary" message included in the marketing? Not sure....We don't know what the economy will be like a year from now, no one does, the compounded effects of the virus could be worse on finances at that time...

7. Mr Snow

Mr Snow Forum Resident

Another affront to Paul, one might assume. Not only was Allen Klein behind the compilation, it was done without Paul's consent (which wasn't needed - the 3 to 1 majority Beatle vote would have carried at this point) and, it had Paul's song as its title. He'd clearly now lost control of his own releases - wouldn't be long before Phil Spector arrived the scene too...

JonnyKidd likes this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree with you and your last point is something I’ve been saying to people I know. There will be repercussions from this pandemic for years to come and no one has a crystal ball.

9. Arnold Grove

It should be pointed out that the contract that was signed in the photo below in September 1969 was the new contract with Capitol/EMI, which increased the Beatles royalty rate by quite a lot. It has been stated that the Beatles earned more from the royalties of their records sold in the 1969-1970 time frame after Klein's renegotiation than the total of all the royalties earned from records from 1963 to 1968. And supposedly that was why Paul was willing to go along with Klein in this one instance to renegotiate the contract.
    And the Hey Jude album was part of Klein's plan to earn big $$$ for the band (and himself!) from this new royalty rate.

[​IMG]

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

According to the current issue of Beatlefan, there will be multiple sets coming out including a reissue of the original LIB box with book. Let's hope.

11. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Another thread, eh? Why not.

12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Don't forget Let it Be 2020 is the last 5oth Anniversary of any Beatles album release that can be commemorated while the band remained extant. They broke up in 1970.

I guess they can do 55th or 60th anniversary editions, but it's not the same.

Sidewinder43 and btomarra like this.
  13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

This will just delay the album that needs the remix the most - Revolver.

supernaut, JoeF., Bonzodog and 6 others like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I hear what you're saying but for me, a deluxe edition at any time is great
    anniversary or not.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Of course, but "Anniversary" is a solid marketing hook. And it guarantees press coverage.

DK Pete and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

wouldn’t make a lick of sense doing it that way

17. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

They can still release anniversary editions, it just doesn’t have to be “50th”. They can just be good ol “deluxe editions” Let’s not miss out on box sets for albums like Revolver or any others just because they won’t coincide with any nice round anniversary year

jmxw, saborlord123, DK Pete and 4 others like this.
  18. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Revolver is and has been the one deluxe boxset I really pray for!

19. Now - that’s what a rough day at the office looks like - open up a dictionary to “burnout” and you might see this picture. LOL

20. Arnold Grove

Hendrix didn't have a problem with a "51st Anniversary":

[​IMG]

supernaut, a customer, jmxw and 9 others like this.
  21. Mr Snow

Mr Snow Forum Resident

All true. I believe he did sign the agreement, as did George who wasn't there on the day. Besides a hike in royalties, the agreement also gave the Beates control over their music in terms of releases etc. However as equal partners, a three-to-one vote would carry and Paul was pretty much in self-imposed exile from the Beatles and Apple in autumn 69 to spring 1970 - so whether he was asked about Hey Jude, I don't know, but I doubt it. He was aparently not even told that Let It Be was being worked on, so that illustrates something about the situation at the time.

22. Arnold Grove

I don't know if Paul actually approved the Hey Jude album or not. But he might have signed a copy, if that autograph is legit:

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What I always liked about that cover is the subtle call back to Sgt. Pepper. Here is the band standing with some other figures of sorts. And the Beatle humor of putting George's hat on the statue. Cheeky.

24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I hear ya, but most order online. They got the money!!!!

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I guarantee you just spent more time interpreting this photo than they took taking it.

supernaut, a customer, ARK and 7 others like this.