Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I think he learned everything he knows from this guy....
    [​IMG]

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Nice!

omikron likes this.
  3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Agreed here. I don’t mind the track, but having one non-Kurstin Track here is baffling and a bit disconcerting. Stick Home Tonight here instead for a simple option and they gave that A-Side status.

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Honestly I think it simply comes down to Paul wanting a "hit". He said so in interviews. So he created Fuh You and Come On To Me to specifically do that. He's still hungry and there is that drive to do well on the charts.

Turns out not enough people cared to make the singles hits but the album didn't do too bad for itself.

Come On To Me did hit #1 in Croatia!

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Sometimes a cigar is just a smoke.

omikron likes this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

I hear some folks smoke cigars in different ways, don't you know.

7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

NEXT ONE
    Confidante
    This one is -imo-unbelivable good. A gorgeous melody, poetic lyrics, a spare but still grand arrangement. Egypt Station is a stellar album and this song in a low-key way one of the most memorable
    I love the idea of writing a love-song yo a guitar. I also sense some real emotion from Paul here. I also find these lines a proof that Paul can be a masterful lyricist when he chooses to

In our imaginary world
    Where butterflies wear army boots
    And stomp around the forest
    Chanting long lost anthems
    Long lost anthems

Song facts
    “Confidante” is a track from 2018 album “Egypt Station“. Paul McCartney premiered the song before the release of the album during his July 2018 concert at The Cavern, and introduced it by explaining:

When I was a kid I’d be playing that guitar all the time. But I hadn’t done it for a while. It was there looking a bit forlorn. It used to be my confidante, my under-the-staircase friend. I had other friends!

Paul McCartney
    From “Words Between The Tracks” YouTube series:

With the song “Confidante”, I happened to be at home and I was looking in the corner where, propped up, was my old Martin guitar that I normally just have there, so if I feel like playing the guitar, I’ll take it down and play it or try and write a song or whatever you do.

And I thought to myself, I haven’t had time lately to play guitar. And it reminded me that when we first got guitars years and years ago they would be like a friend. It would be like a confidant. You’d go off into a corner, and you’d write a little song, and you would sort-of almost tell your troubles to your guitar.

It’s a love song to the guitar, how the guitar was my confidant, and I told you every little secret thing, and, in fact, unlike my other so-called friends, you stood beside me while I fought. So it became a symbol of the guitar as a mate, as a friend, as a confidant.

Paul McCartney
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Who Cares, gja586, FJFP and 5 others like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Live Confidante

9. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Confidante - effortlessly good song, lyrically though doesn't do much for me 3/5

10. omikron

Confidante: 3/5

And again we are back to normal land. There is lots of open chord jangling on this song. Some strange imagery in the lyrics leaves a funny taste in my mouth. Particularly the butterflies line. I do like how he fully annunciates some of the words at the end of certain lines like “fought”.

Some surmised that this song was about John, but it is actually about his guitar and how he could retreat to his own world and make music as he sorted through his troubles. The staircase Paul references is the one that lead to the control room at Abbey Road (someone please fact-check me on this last sentence about Abbey Road).

Who Cares, gja586, WilliamWes and 2 others like this.
  11. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Confidante 3/5
    Not bad and the story behind it is great but somehow the song doesn't click. There are many better acoustic Macca songs.

12. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
    [​IMG]

The Traveler sent signals to the planet, signals interpreted by the Cosmically Conscious mind as music. Music that tells a story about stations, about places to discover. The Traveler's message will be clear, in harmony with the inner light, the elements, the planets, and life, where inspiration creates a sonic experience for the listener who's going to hear the sublime compositions. It's a mystical journey to the unknown.*

*with a little help of the liner notes of Music of Spheres :)

WilliamWes and omikron like this.
  13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Opening Station

[​IMG]

A beautiful choral choir composition. The excitement to discover the magical journey is present in every sound, perfectly integrated to create a touching melody. It's the invitation to enjoy the chaos transformed into music.

Credits:

Album: Egypt Station
    Label: Capitol Records
    Release Date: September 7, 2018
    Length: 0:42 minutes

Written and composed by Paul McCartney
    Produced by Greg Kurstin
    Co-produced by Paul McCartney
    Recorded at Emmanuel Presbyterian Church, LA, on 1st February 2018
    Engineered by Steve Orchard and Alex Pasco, assisted by Julian Burg, Matt Tuggle and Brad Giroux
    Choral Arrangement by David Campbell
    Mixed by Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, assisted by Michael Freeman and Derek Stockwell at Henson Studios, LA
    Published by MPL Communications Inc
    (P) 2018 MPL Communications Inc

Choir: PAGE LA STUDIO CHORUS
    Vocal Contractor: Bobbi Page
    Choir: Josh Bedlion, Joanna Bushnell, Amick Byram, Elin Carlson, Laura Dickinson, Monique Donnelly, Ally Feder, Jessica Freedman, Diane Freiman Reynolds, Katie Hampton, James Harper, Walt Harrah, Ayana Haviv, Jennifer Haydn-Jones, Katherine Hoye, Laura Jackman, Raven Kane, Monica Lee, Edie Lehmann Boddicker, Scott Mayo, Donna Medine, Bobbi Page, Ann Sheridan, Fletcher Sheridan, Susie Stevens, Suzanne Waters, Greg Whipple and Gerald White

Source: Opening Station - Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

Song:

14. RebelKatt

RebelKatt Forum Resident

Caked In Cobwebs, that's on Wildlife, right?

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" Confidante ' is a superb track. What's up with these blah comments about it ? Are you people really McCartney fans or are you playing some sick game with my head ?

Who Cares, foxylady, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Maybe it's not them, maybe your heads been sick all along?

17. Dr. Pepper

Confidante 8/10

While not my absolute favorite, a solid creative track for sure that adds to the diversity of songs and ideas on the album.

18. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Confidante - is a lovely, low key ballad. I like that it is about Paul's guitar. He loves to do a twist on a common theme every so often. In this case, it works. Pretty little tune.

Who Cares, jmxw, gja586 and 4 others like this.
  19. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Confidante (5/10)
    I’m glad Paul said this was about his guitar cause everyone would think it was about John and pick apart every line, but instead people like me call it boring. So maybe it should have been about John but that was more in “Early Days”. This is a companion to that song but this one’s dull and loses the magic that that had. An acoustic song with some bass and other little touches, it comes and goes without much glue to stick in your memory. The melody is bland and there’s just not much happening here. A stagnant moment in the album. There’s a lot of slow reflective songs on the album and this is the least interesting.

20. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

We've had a lot of positive comments about a lot of McCartney's acoustic songs and quieter, intimate going back to Flaming Pie and when you realize how many great songs he did on acoustic or that hold an intimate feel like "Somedays", "Little Willow", "Calico Skies", "Jenny Wren", "Too Much Rain" - it's hard not to compare and we know Paul can do better than "Confidante". On the original Egypt Station thread, many cited this as a low point along with 'Fuh You'. My rating is low cause I'm comparing it to his other acoustic songs though I should probably just take each song one at a time.

21. omikron

PUT. THAT. CONFIDANTE. DOWN.

Confidante is for closers only.

You think I'm f*ing with you?

I am not f*ing with you.

22. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

You know what it takes to write Confidante? It takes a pair of these...

[​IMG]

Go and do likewise, gents.

23. Bemagnus

Confidante for me is a 10/10. It s s somg thst really connects with me. . I won t argue with those who feels otherwise because thats the way music works..

24. Dr. Pepper

A pair of planets?

25. Dr. Pepper

Paul owns a lot of sh@t, but he doesn't own any planets, does he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.