Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

And many artists are delaying releases because they can't go out and tour in support of them. That's one issue Apple don't have to factor in.

beatleroadie likes this.
  2. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

He told me over lunch on Thursday that he preferred celebrating the first year after a new decade at completion. Never get ahead of yourself he said as he munched on his Waldorf salad.

3. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

Pandemic isnt stopping The Stones reissuing Goats Head Soup in Sept.

What gives ?? I guess like people are saying they want the tie in with the movie release

Jmac1979 likes this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Exactly, the big releases that have been delayed are by bands who want their album release timed with a tour.

Many of my favorite artists have released or are still releasing music this summer/fall. Paul is about to drop a massively expensive box set in 2 weeks.

And there's ZERO chance the planned Lennon stuff for fall gets scrapped because of the virus. So why would any Beatles product be?

5. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Or people are dying of hearing it. There’s 90 hours of it online. Certainly the least exciting prospect of box set for me

schnitzerphilip and Bingo Bongo like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The answer is simple:
    Because Apple wishes to tie the box set together with the Peter Jackson film. It is going to be a HUGE marketing blitz, across numerous media and formats, and they want to combine it together so that they only have to expend their time and resources one time. They do not want to split it into two smaller marketing pushes. This is it; they aren't going to go down the Let It Be/Get Back road ever again. And for this venture, because of the film primarily, the whole project is going to (potentially) earn tens and tens of millions of dollars in total. Whatever a deluxe audio set by the Beatles earns in general, the tie-in of the film and audio box together will dwarf those previous amounts (if all goes as planned).

Now, one could argue that Apple is making a foolish decision, or that they should just release the audio box set in 2020 and then do the film in August 2021. BUT that is not what they decided so far. The bottom line is that this is much more than your average music box set. The film tie-in makes it a whole other type of business venture. So, at this moment in time, the powers at Apple have decided (along with Disney and Peter Jackson and Universal) that this would be the best way to handle it in a business/financial decision.

Of course, anything is subject to change, so they can change their minds again, if they choose to do so.

7. beatleroadie

Doesn't make sense to tie them together. One is an expanded celebration of the soundtrack to a 1970 film, the other is a brand new film with a different name, different graphics and designs associated with it. Most likely some different music as well!

If anything, releasing a big LIB50 box at the same time as a GET BACK film will just confuse casual fans about the new film. Many might just assume it's the old documentary with cleaned up visuals. Other casual fans might choose to spend their money either on seeing the film in cinemas or buying a LIB remix but not necessarily both.

Better to keep them separate in my opinion. "Here's a new documentary about January 1969, but also here's a celebration of the old documentary we aren't giving you right now, at the same time, just buy it all at once!" that seems awkward, mixed messages...to my brain anyway. Best to keep old with old and new with new. But I don't get paid to make such decisions.

Woodville likes this.
  8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

As time goes by I’m more and more convinced that all this “tie in” subject is foolish.

The PJ movie is the one they are going to push harder and promote: no question about it.

They merely TOLERATE (look at the recent Ringo’s interviews..) the old 1970 movie, and I am quite convinced they don’t want the two video releases to coincide.
    The LIB50 box set can only be... the soundtrack of the old movie, expanded, with maybe the Blu Ray of MLH’s movie included (“which will be made available at a later date” as they themselves officially stated)

Why would they want all these things, which they clearly don’t love at all, tied in with the Jackson (and its soundtrack) movie?

No sense. Ok, it’s Apple. But...no sense at all. From a fan point of view of course :wiggle:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  9. Arnold Grove

Again, it may not make sense to you. And that is fine. I presume many people would like Apple to separate the two things, so that an audio box set can come out in 2020.

BUT financially it makes sense to Apple. And they are making this decision (so far) on the numbers.

P.S. I am not a business-savvy person. But maybe someone here has a better grasp of the approximate profit numbers involved, and maybe that person can show numerically why it is a far smarter financial move for Apple to hold off on both the film and the audio set.

10. Arnold Grove

It is Apple sense --- and that is the only "sense" that matters.

And even I have to admit that the business and marketing managers at Apple have a much better grasp of what actually makes sense to them than a bunch of Steve Hoffman Forum members --- myself included!!! ;)

ARK, kevintee and PhoffiFozz like this.
  11. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Fine for me, I’ll bite an apple for dinner.

What makes me really laugh, anyway, is the “ON SCREEN NATIONWIDE SEPT 4TH 2020” announcement still on the Beatles website.
    I mean, who runs the site? A bunch of teenagers? Someone who takes a look at it once, let’s say, a year? :doh:

Ern likes this.
  12. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

This may be the wisest post ever on this forum. And to think Arnie said it!

The end is near!!

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Speak for yourself :uhhuh:

kevintee likes this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Whatever happened to the other thread

Loads of great insight, info, suggestions, etc

:cry:

15. Cristiano Cortellazzi

It was probably delayed.. :laughup:

ARK, jmxw and kevintee like this.
  16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

One thing for sure, I doubt very much that Apple will completely neglect the Christmas market for 2020. This is generally a market they exploit shamelessly. So what will it be this year? If they're planning to drop expensive Lennon and Harrison 50th anniversary boxes, they may well feel that's enough, as will many consumers. Perhaps we'll get some minor Beatles nugget as a bonus - a vinyl Hey Jude or Christmas album? How about the various solo Christmas singles on coloured vinyl?

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Already announced for September: ;)

[​IMG]

The Beatles 31198 | LEGO® Art | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

18. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

ARK and Paul H like this.
  19. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

50 years and they still don't have that mess of an album figured out LOL.
    In all serious though, I hope they do.

saborlord123, blutiga and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..I'm a fan...the "tie-in" concept makes perfect sense to me. I'm not saying I don't mind waiting "forever" for a deluxe set of the album or a re-issue of the original box which I've been clamoring for...but from a promotional/business perspective well as just making 'the whole thing" that much more exciting, it makes sense to me.

21. beatleroadie

I'm OK with that ;) Although they probably spent an hour or more taking photos that day, and I thought about this and wrote it within 3 minutes, so, not sure...

22. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

the album was called The Beatles Again, not Hey Jude, so no Paul song title was used.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  23. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

The title was actually changed to Hey Jude after labels were printed. This was to take advantage of The Beatles biggest selling single was now available in LP format.

Paul P., applejam101 and DK Pete like this.
  24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

And most of us have never heard much, or maybe any, of it.

Greatly looking forward to it, whenever it happens, without wading through 90 hours to find the best stuff.