Would You Accept This Seam Split

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rockin_since_58, Jul 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Received this from Amazon a few days ago and did not notice the split when I opened it. When I pulled the record out, I noticed the inner sleeve was split and then saw the damage to the cover. Would you accept this type of defect? I ordered a replacement and without even opening it, it looks identical. Tried to initiate a return on the replacement and wouldn't let me. I will deal with Amazon tomorrow. The other album in this order was the Band of Gypsys 5oth anniversary and this one is amazing.

[​IMG]

Strat-Mangler and longdist01 like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

If this is supposed to be a new record I would not accept it.

3. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

No effect on sound quality = no big deal.

rcsrich and Jeff Kent like this.
  4. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

Absolutely not. New records cost too much to accept this kind of damage. Amazon is usually good about making stuff right.

5. rockin_since_58

It was new from Amazon. I just can't justify the $23 or so that it cost and it is the limited edition with lenticular cover. The other 3 from this series Magica, Killing the Dragon and Master of the Moon were fine.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. rockin_since_58

And the sound quality is excellent, it really bothers me though that a new album has this.

7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I tend to go with "no sound issues then no return" unless it's advertised as a special collector's edition that you pay more for, and it's significantly damaged such that it ruins the reason you bought it.

A lenticular cover would fall into this as long as that's not the regular edition, they advertise and charge more for it, and you can't see the lenticular without also seeing the damage.

longdist01 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nope. That'd be an automatic return for me. I'd never consider buying an LP like that from a store and I wouldn't accept it mail-order. It's not even a close call; completely unacceptable. I'd rather pay for another copy than allow that in the library.

9. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Would not accept that and would return it.

10. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

For me: No sound issues = No return.
    A seam split makes me shake my but nothing more.
    The music is what matters.

11. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

If only the music matters you could buy a digital copy. That’s definitely a damaged product. I can overlook an inner sleeve seam split but that one is too big to ignore.

Christian Hill and longdist01 like this.
  12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Of course the music matters but if I was in a store and there were multiple copies, I would obviously purchase a copy that was damage free. The fact that a purchase is made online doesn't change that for me.

I have ordered loads of books over the years but in the past couple of years, I have received hardcover books shipped with little or no protective padding that arrive with damage. I return them. These are items (often expensive) that I assume left the fulfillment center in perfect shape and sustained damage in shipping due to insufficent packaging. Seems to be easily avoidable.

13. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I can accept a tiny bend or dent, but I wouldn't accept a seam split on any record. Those tend to get bigger over time unless you "fix" it. Return it for another copy.

Brettlowden likes this.
  14. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

15. It depends on how hard it is to replace. For the most part, it's the sound of the vinyl that most matters to me. I have a hard enough time with that alone. I'd keep it. I send so many darned records back already that sound like someone's gym pants. I've give up on eBay entirely when it comes to records for that reason alone. It's all about the the music for me.

16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Not acceptable to me but if you ordered a replacement and it came the same way, then they are likely from a bad batch.

I have found Amazon to be pretty generous regarding returns. Give 'em a call, see what they can do.

Brettlowden likes this.
  17. rockin_since_58

I was able to return the second defective one by actually calling them. I ordered through Walmart hoping they have a different batch. I will get it on Wednesday and update then. I am buying these Dio releases specifically for the lenticular covers which are very cool.

Veech likes this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Most labels print extra covers. If anyone insists, they should send you a new jacket that has never had a record in it.

19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

No for me, especially on a new record.

Brettlowden likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Depends on cost. Used or new / cheap, I don't get too bent about it. But if that LP was $30 I would have probably done an exchange.

Of course in this case it sounds like it's potentially a problem with the entire batch, so that gets tricky. Hopefully another vendor, as you've done, works out for you.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  21. Johnny Action

I hear ya, but in the grand scheme of things a little rip in the cardboard ain’t no big thing. Just consider it patina!
    re the photo you attached: what is it of? What’s that bright white jagged line supposed to be?

22. rockin_since_58

The white jagged line is the damage along the top of the cover. This is a limited edition release with lenticular cover so that is what makes me more picky about this. If I buy a used record and this sort of issue is disclosed up front, I have no problem with this. A brand new sealed album should not arrive in this condition. It appears there is a bad run of these as I got 2 in a row like this.

23. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

It's disappointing, but to me the music is what matters most. Only if the vinyl is bad do I send back.

24. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

For the most part, I do not accept records that are sold as new but arrive with seam splits. It's unfortunate because I've found a lot of times the splits are caused by poor shipping packaging. For non-limited releases I always ask for an exchange.

That being said, when I receive limited edition releases with seam splits I sometimes just order a new copy (depending on the cost). I just hate the idea of sending back a working copy of a limited release that will most likely get destroyed or taken out of circulation if there isn't anything wrong with the vinyl itself. I keep the undamaged copy sealed and play the copy with the seam split since the sound quality isn't compromised. Since there are some buyers out there who don't care about seam splits I eventually sell the copy with the split (always making note of it in my listings, of course!). If it's sold out by the time you decide to sell, you might even make a little more than you originally paid!

25. Johnny Action

Begging the Gentleman's pardon, but that white jagged line appears to be a “photo shopped” line added after the photograph was taken. It’s too uniform in color and it’s boundaries overlap parts of the jacket. Does not look to me like it’s a laceration in the sleeve of that record album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.