The Pentangle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I bought a double LP which includes the first album and "Basket of light" . This isn't the kind of music I'm into but it's a very pleasant listen and it seems the musicians are top notch.

Opinions?

2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

they're a tricky band for me. I really don't like jazz music or most instrumental music in general, but I love the folk from late 60's early 70's with female vocals.
    so some of their music I love (especially their later stuff, fav lp Cruel Sister) and some of it I really don't care for.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

back in the day you probably heard of them, might have actually heard them, kind of like fairport convention or fotheringay. all three had female singers and all three were very folk oriented.

many members of all 3 bands went on to other place and had pretty good careers (bret jansch, dandy denny jon redborn to name a few).

i have always wanted to get a nice pentangle compilation Cd but i just don't know enough about them to pull the trigger.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Fantastic band.

[​IMG]

bzfgt, Electric, speedracer and 6 others like this.
  5. aeo12

aeo12 Forum Resident

Their first album has been one of my favorites for 52 years,

6. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I have several of their albums and feel I should like them more than I actually do (I'm a big fan of the folk rock of that era). I can't put my finger on why.

7. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

You're right, it's easy to group them with Fairport Convention, but while FC evolved with each lineup over their early records, Pentangle did a wide range of music from the start. Also, the band didn't have that many records from their original run ('68 - '72) - it's hard to pick a bad one out of that lot. You might try the first record, or the even wider-ranging second record, Sweet Child. There's a great version of Mingus' Goodbye Pork Pie Hat on that one -- really blurring the lines between jazz and folk. I like 'em for the diversity more than anything else....

Spadeygrove, McLover, toasty and 4 others like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think they were great, at least up to Cruel Sister. I don't have anything after that.

speedracer, Sear and listner_matt like this.
  9. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I like them, I saw them in the mid 80's when they were promoting In the Round. It was in Dayton and there couldn't have been more than 2 dozen of us in the audience.

lemonade kid and speedracer like this.
  10. Sea Kayaker

Sea Kayaker Forum Resident

I started listening to this band in 2013. Pentangle was mentioned in an article by Grateful Dead blogger Light Into Ashes discussing what bands Jerry Garcia enjoyed. Pentangle was one of the opening acts for the Grateful Dead for their Fillmore West run from 2/27 to 3/2/1969. Those shows were recorded for the Live Dead album, although I don't think the opening acts were recorded. It would be nice if they came up with a Bear's Sonic Journal of Pentangle. Another Grateful Dead connection for Pentangle is the band covered Cold Rain and Snow on the Reflections album. Cold Rain and Snow is a traditional song the Dead regularly performed.

I am not aware of many comps for the band. They had a box set I never bought, and I bought the Cherry Red albums box released a couple years ago which includes the six core albums from 1968 to 1973. If you are looking for a compilation try Finale, a two CD live release of the band's 2008 reunion tour. Bert Jansch's voice sounds worn, but Jacqui McShee sounds good to my ears, and the band is strong. The drummer came out of retirement and hadn't played for a while, but I don't notice the drumming as a problem.

The band has some great players. Danny Thompson plays double bass. He is on Nick Drake's Bryter Layter and later worked with John Martin. For the albums, the first three are my favorites. Cruel Sister I am mixed on. I have a hard time making through 16 minutes of Jack Orion, even if some of the playing is good. I like Reflections, which is their attempt at an "American" album. The last album is hit and miss for me.

It is said they lifted some of their jazz melodies from classics, but I don't know jazz well enough to comment. Then again, Neil Young admits he borrowed an idea or two from Bert Jansch's Needle of Death for the Needle and the Damage Done.

McLover, ianuaditis, Bowland and 3 others like this.
  11. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

John Martyn

sound chaser likes this.
  12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yes, they were all individually very good and played exceptionally well together.

Somehow strangely missing in any popularity here in AU.

speedracer likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

One of my fav bands of all time. Never released a song that was less than great.

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

....because there's very little 'rock' in it?

Much more folk-jazz.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  15. newelectricmuse

I don't mind jazz either!

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I could often do without McShea vocals but enjoy the music and usually favour femme folk vocals.
    It's all a mystery.

17. Sear

Why so little love to them?

18. Sear

Not a trace of rock in Pentangle

McLover and E.Baba like this.
  19. newelectricmuse

I should say I do enjoy listening to them - I don't dislike them at all, but they don't grab me the way other folk oriented bands of that era do (some of which are electric, some are more acoustic). They're all obviously good at what they do - they're some of the finest players in the genre. I don't have any problem with the jazz influence. Yes, it's a mystery!

20. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Plenty of love from me for them especially the first four albums which have been lifelong favorites.

21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I first heard of Bert from Neil Young’s “Shakey” bio as well. It was actually Neil’s “Ambulance Blues” where Neil Says he borrowed the Needle of Death musical idea for. That got me chasing down Bert Jansch and I picked up his first 2 or 3 albums. Never got to Pentangle yet but I am interested.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Got me - I am just glad I stumbled upon them around 1980 as they have enriched my life greatly.

speedracer and Sear like this.
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I always liked them but never owned anything. Last year I got the very good time has come 4 cd collection from a fellow member here. I believe it's out of print now but worth seeking out.

speedracer and jay.dee like this.
  24. Sear

Bump

25. Sear

Nobody wants their records.
    It's a shame because this is top tier music.

Celebrated Summer likes this.