Kylie Minogue: 'Disco' - 15th Studio album (November 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kylie Minogue is currently working on her 15th studio album. The indications suggest that she has moved away from the country sound of her last album Golden and this will be a disco album.

She has apparently learned how to engineer recordings so she can continue to work on the album at home during the COVID lockdown.

She always tends to work with a variety of producers so it's difficult to predict exactly what it may sound like but I have heard names like Mousse T and Mirwais mentioned.

The feeling on other forums is that an announcement with release details may be imminent, but we shall see.

So this thread can be used for speculation for the new album and when we get there, any of the promotional activities surrounding the album.

Sean, ShepPettiboneMix, DirkM and 7 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Great news. Though it doesn’t seem a minute since Golden came out! I really liked the latter, though it seemed to get a mixed reception. Will keep an eye on this thread for any further updates.

Have to admit I shuddered a little when I saw Mirwais might be involved.. It brought back Madame X all over again.:D

Sean, GoodKitty, c-eling and 5 others like this.
  3. Bink

Lol. Yeah I have to admit I thought of you Bobby as I was typing the part about Mirwais!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

It was a dark moment for me.:D

Looking around, it seems that the new album will be self-titled. Doesn’t Kylie realise she’s had both ‘Kylie’ and ‘Kylie Minogue’ releases? I had enough of this nonsense from Diana Ross in the 70’s and 80’s.:D

5. Bink

Yes I had read that too, although I have noticed on other forums that some fans are not convinced that it will be self titled. I guess we'll see.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Since she's recorded two songs called Love at First Sight and two other songs called Right Here Right Now repeating herself doesn't bother her.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

yes.....your Disco needs you :)

Maurice, Rosewater and Bink like this.
  8. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

The first video has apparently already been shot adhering to pandemic protocols - when it’ll be seen is anyone’s guess, but we could all use a little Kylie right now!

Bink and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

That's great news, i liked Kylie's latest album "Golden" but i think Kylie is at her best when she's releasing a Pop/Disoc/Dance album, i can't wait to hear the new album.

nevrtoolate, Bobby Morrow and Bink like this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And let's not forget the Impossible Princess mess. They ditched the title just before release due to the princess Dianne accident, and instead of coming up with a new title that album was also called Kylie Minogue. Of course they gave it back it's original title years later, but still....

pineapplehead and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I’d forgotten that one!

12. Bobby Morrow

I thought she’d pretty much issued continuous pop/disco/dance albums since Light Years 20 years ago.:D

DesertHermit, Rosewater and bob60 like this.
  13. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Whitney was the Queen of that we got Debut "Whitney Houston", Sophomore release was "Whitney" then we later got "Just Whitney" WTF

warewolf95, Jarleboy and Mylene like this.
  14. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I absolutely Hate Mirwais production, Kylie please no :( I loved Golden, Impossible Princess is one of my top 5 favorite Kylie album. I'm looking forward to this new one.

RevUp64, tin ears and fsutall like this.
  15. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees

Hey, Miriwas is wonderful

Mylene likes this.
  16. MDNA4ever

% True @Bobby Morrow

17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Hi Madge, how's the knee doing?

MDNA4ever likes this.
  18. rfkavanagh

New track Say Something supposedly coming out on Thursday (if you put any stock in The Sun).

Kylie Minogue to launch disco comeback with new track Say Something

Album likely due in November, with a short name now rumored to be just Disco rather than Kylie. Don't love calling it Disco, either, but it's better than another generic first-name title. Style is fully back to disco pop.

Hope it's true and we get to hear an upbeat Kylie bop on Thursday!

19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Sophie Ellis Bextor has an album coming out with disco in the title as well.
    Maybe discotheques are making a comeback?
    I still prefer dance halls, it sounds a bit classier...

tin ears and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Excited for new Kylie. I've been listening to her back catalogue again and it's pretty amazing. I finally watched Les Folies after all these years - and in true 3D. It looked amazing. Great show.

2020 has been a hard year so I think some Kylie will definitely brighten things up.

21. Bobby Morrow

Looking forward to this. A shame we have to wait until November for the album, but I can understand her not putting it out now.

Bink, rfkavanagh and andycherry like this.
  22. rfkavanagh

Aphrodite Les Folies was great - a truly insane show to tour given the complexities of the fountains, etc., but so worth it, and I'm glad they filmed it in 3D. I planned a trip home around getting to see it in Dublin and Glasgow, once inside the "Splash Zone" and once right in front of the center stage. One of exceedingly few concerts for which I've ever actually lined up hours in advance to get a good spot! The U.S. version of the show omitted all the waterworks but still worked as a great show on its own. Pity she didn't tour Golden here - I didn't get to see that tour live, but I managed to find my way to her NYC Pride show (greatest hits) and the next night at the Bowery Ballroom (essentially the Kylie Presents Golden show), so I can't complain too much. Not sure that we'll get any shows this time around - if touring's even an option anywhere next year...

23. MDNA4ever

My knee is still sore thanks for asking. Miriwas is a good producer! Without him, there would be no Music, American Life, or Madame X!

bob60 likes this.
  24. Bink

What I am hoping for are good pop songs sung with her 'full voice' for want of a better phrase.

I have been listening to Kylie's music since 1988 (when I was 9). What I guess attracted me was the combination of catchy pop music with a sense of pathos - I Should Be So Lucky isn't really a happy song is it! But all of those Stock Aitkin and Waterman songs were sung as if from the diaphragm.

I am less keen on the material where she uses the 'helium' voice. She seems to have used this more and more since the Fever album.

In terms of type of songs, it seems she falls down when recording material that she or her record company believe will attract an American audience. I think Body Language and Kiss Me Once suffer from this in particular. In fact, there is a song on Kiss Me Once (can't remember which song) when she refers to the 4th July. That date doesn't really mean as much to anyone outside of America so I always think it sounds out of place being sung by Kylie.

One of the things I liked about Light Years was the sense of pastiche and I am kind of hoping she embraces that on this new album.

DirkM, Mylene, rfkavanagh and 2 others like this.
  25. Bink

Bobby Morrow and Rosewater like this.