Tower Records has relaunched

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melodic chaos, Apr 30, 2020.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I see SACDs on the website FWIW :)

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Oh, how I yearn for those days of $18.98 List Priced CDs that were just released!!!

;)

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i miss the richmond va store at willow lawn. i would go in between college classes from 2000-2002 and browse for what seemed like hours. i started my job now in march of 2006 and i worked 11pm-8am. well tower closed i believe at 10pm weeknights and 11pm fri-sat night. i would stop in fri or sat night at 9:30pm and shop until 10:30pm and then head to work about 10 miles from they store. they closed the end of 2006 so i got to do that for about 9 months. i switched to going into the barnes and noble near my work on fri or sat night as they were open until 11pm

jdrueke likes this.
  4. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

We closed at midnight which meant that we would get out of there at 12:30 at the earliest. We had stuff to do---the night wasn't getting any younger. Make up your mind, bring your item(s) to the register and get out.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, get a nice attitude or else get out of the business of retail. It was the attitude "Bad Penny" no really! :laugh:. I tossed down my items and walked out. Then I went to Aaron's and got the things I wanted. Oh, I would continue to go in to Tower and look at what was new and available, but I went elsewhere to make the purchase. Always going elsewhere to make the purchases. :agree:

That is what the general public decided to do as well!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..I went there for CDs and vinyl...great store!

7. Michael

did you ever think you'd be saying this? TOWER RECORDS; only Vinyl and no CDs...LOL. I'm happy for them but I have no interest in the site...

8. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Hope they open a store again someday. Would be great. I spent so much of my formative days there. I was a loner and originally college wasn't much of an experience for me. But all my discoveries at Tower were. That documentary was like reliving my youth over again. As it is. An online catalog works just as good!

Instant Dharma and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

It makes me smile hearing all the "I remember back in the 80's, 90's and 2000's" stories. I was lucky enough to live in Sacramento when Russ Solomon opened the mother ship downtown store on Broadway/16th Street in 1952. I was one. In 1960 he opened the "Watt Ave" store in the burbs. It had glassed in listening booths down one side of the store with 45rpm record players in each. We would pool our money and ride our bikes up to the store. Then all jam into a booth and listen as long as they would let us before giving us the buy or boot lecture. With luck we could buy two 45's. Man I am old. At least I can still remember the good times

10. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

The public decided to do that to almost all record stores.

pudgym, uzn007 and Billy Infinity like this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Eventually yes. But Tower was very early on failure.

walrus likes this.
  12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I can't help but think that it is a mistake on their part. There are a lot of places on the internet where you can buy both. Yes, CD sales are way down, but there are a lot of music lovers that buy both. If you are going to but both are you going to go to Tower Records to buy your LPs and another site to buy CDs? No, it is easier and cheaper on shipping to buy from the same place.

I'm not saying they will fail, I just think they are leaving money on the table.

Michael and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I went to VCU from 94-97 and loved that Tower Records. I even worked (briefly) at The Pine Factory at Willow Lawn! I was more of a Plan 9 guy, but Tower was still awesome.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Seriously. I’d go to browse, and make mental notes of what to look for in the used shops. I could never afford anything there...wasn’t surprised when they went under.

lightbulb and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They should sell prerecorded cassettes as well. UK going nuts / ga ga for them. 65.000 sold in the first six months of 2020.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

plan 9 is still there. haven't been since march though

jdrueke likes this.
  17. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

I remember shopping at Tower in the '70s and beyond when vinyl was the main format. Their prices were among the lowest, $4 per LP. I assume they had a volume discount from the record labels. It might be the record labels that decided to stop offering that discount to Tower when CD's became the new format. Either that, or Tower had less negotiating power (if other stores offered discounts).

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No idea, but if they weren't finding a way to compete with big box stores and local used CD shops, they were kind of digging their own grave. I mean, even during the height of my CD days, I probably never bought more than 5 or 6 new CD's a year. I could always wait until I found something used. Granted, this was high school and college, so funds were limited, but also I was lucky enough always have a few good used shops close by.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Yes, indeed. I’m surprised by the fact that they’re not selling CDs as their Japan stores sell them in abundance. I mean I think in their main store in Tokyo there’s something like 12 floors divided up by genre and each floor has it’s own designated checkout areas. If I ever get the courage to go to Tokyo, Tower Records will be my first major stop.

Michael and longdist01 like this.
  20. Michael

they will add CDs when they realize people still want and buy them. Vinyl is not a total mainstream item like the CD no matter how much a vinyl hound wants it to be. ' )

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Michael

I agree...I wouldn't even enter through the door of a vinyl only TOWER RECORDS store!

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Hope you avoid time machines

23. Michael

whatever that means...LOL.; ) you misunderstood my post, but that's OK...

24. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

On behalf of Tower and myself---we really missed your business. How well is Aron's doing these days?

25. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

Three things about the long gone Tower Records across from Lenox Square in Atlanta:

1. I saw Elton John shopping there late one night in the early 2000s with his posse. It was a Monday. The store stayed open past midnight so the then-Tuesday new releases could be bought. He was a regular music fan pacing the aisles, but with very expensive glasses and a posse.

2. I bought Dylan's "Love And Theft" there on its Sept. 11, 2001 release day.

3. Attempting to cue up Petty's "Wildflowers" disc at the listening station, I hit the wrong button and got Lyle Lovett instead. I have been a fan ever since.

Matthew Tate likes this.