Rega Planar 8 owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by liptrot, Sep 23, 2019.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The AphetaIII & Aria combo is really nice.

iloveguitars likes this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

This is where you are wrong. I can't tell you or any other individual whether anything is "worth it to them". That is a decision for that individual as everyone has different circumstances. I can say unequivocally however that the Planar 10 is significantly better than the Planar 8, and it's not about the PSU. I offered to discuss this with you at length, at your request but you have not bothered to call. Oh well.
    -Bill

Dave Calarco and Musician95616 like this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

While I certainly agree there a differences b/t the P8 & P10 (mainly the ceramic platter and the arm), I do think it would be hard pressed for some people that hear them to say the P10 is significantly better than the P8. Is it better....it sure is. Is it worth the $$$$ cost difference....that's ultimately up to the end user. The P8 is a great table on its own.

Morbius, Litejazz53 and ThorensSme like this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Some people can't hear. Some people hear what they want to hear. And some people don't know how to listen.
    -Bill

5. I’d go for the 10 just for the gorgeous white platter. I’m a superficial design freak like that. It’s stunning. :tiphat:

MonkeyTennis and Dave Calarco like this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

And it sounds better too. Not that the 8 doesn't sound great for its price, but it isn't so near the 10 in performance.
    -Bill

7. Yeah I have an RP 8. The biggest improvement I’ve made recently was adding a Hana ML Mc cart. Prefer it over the Rega MCs

Revelation Sound and jphabc54 like this.
  8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Hi Bill, I did say I would call, I have just had so many things going on, and when I slow down to call you, and look at the clock, it's always about 10 PM or later, so I don't call, it's not been intentional I promise. I knew the Planar 10 was out of reach for me and I'm sure the 10 is better, but hopefully I will be close with the 8 with the III cartridge. I am not a fan of the white platter, certainly a personal preference. I know Mazzy loves everything white. I like the silver or Champagne components, most folks seem to like black, I'm just an oddball.

There is no question in my mind that more love went into the 10, but it was just beyond my reach for now. I'm sorry I did not call, I really meant to, I promise. I have been sitting on this for a while now, and just sold the Marantz acrylic, so I went ahead and did something on the P8.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. Litejazz53

You forgot one important one, the y
    I think you probably will, I was very tempted to buy the 10, simply because it's their top shelf model, but this time I stopped short, I just did not see the difference, especially with my less than excellent record collection. :agree:

Lemon Curry likes this.
  10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm thinking of mail ordering my components. Any favorite vendors?

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  11. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident

Go for a Gold Note PH-10 phono stage. Same price point as the Aria and it far outperforms it. I demo'd both. You'll be happy. I can tell you more about the difference if you'd like. And I can also hook you up with a great vendor.

12. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I have a P8, with an Exact cartridge,Graham Slee Accession phone stage, the Rega TTPSU, into a pair of Dali Zensor floor standers.No complaints whatsoever!

jphabc54 likes this.
  13. Either you or @KT88 can send me the Planner 10 without a cart and I'll send you my RP8 with a wonderful three month old Hanna ML Cart ($1200 retail). :tiphat:

Have a nice day...

14. Litejazz53

Maz, what happened to your picture, it's not there any longer?

15. Which picture ?

16. Litejazz53

The little emoji picture to the left, the old guy with the hat, always loved that.

17. It’s still there. Me with the red hat? It’s showing up in my feed.

18. Litejazz53

Maz, nothing here on this end, you might ask someone else, yours is the only one not showing up??? Don't know?

19. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I can see it

Mazzy likes this.
  20. Well there ya go !!! Not sure who can and cannot.

21. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

[​IMG]

22. My beautifully red leather hat on the streets of Soho in NYC circa 2007.

23. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Red hat can be seen here.

24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Same here

25. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I would take the RB3000 and ceramic platter in a heartbeat over the RB880 and glass platter.
    The NeoPSU is stable enough for me ! I added it to my RP8 and it works like a charm.