Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

Not sure about all of America but in my area the film ran for several weeks,with the
    first few weeks being sellouts.I remember it got extended past its initial run

coffeetime likes this.
  2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I can believe it. The first time my wife & I visited New York in 1996, the Beatles cropped up several times on the city tours we took. The Ed Sullivan theatre, Shea stadium, the Dakota/Strawberry Fields in Central Park. If one didn’t know the band’s history (yeah, I know..) one could quite easily believe the band were NYC natives. At the time, the band seemed to be held in higher esteem in NYC (and possibly the US as a whole) than they were in Liverpool/UK.

Harman likes this.
  3. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I think that is true. Even at their peak, I think the US had a much more emotional response to them than the UK and they now elicit a huge Proustian response there (this is a massive generalisation of course). In the UK they were loved and more popular than anything had ever been before but they were seen first and foremost as a great band and individually as people. In the US they seemed to represent something much more than just the music, hopes and dreams from a nation in crisis perhaps and memories of them are now inextricably entwined with those feelings.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    evilpants, Harman and coffeetime like this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The Beatles arrived on Ed Sullivan and on radio dials across the country at just the right time to take young people's minds off of fear from the Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis disasters and JFK's assassination. Their arrival in the USA has a huge connection with the mood of the country at the time and I believe the timing created a strong emotional bond for many fans.

5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Under the assumption that that only counts sales in the US i am going to say this: There is a world outside the US. ;-)

moodyxadi and blutiga like this.
  6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That is great if it was a big success in America. I always feel a little sad when I attend these Beatles related cinema releases to find such poor attendances here in the UK.

7. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

The Beatles are still viewed in really high esteem here,do they not have the same feeling
    in the UK ?

coffeetime likes this.
  8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Yes and no. They’re still regarded well and there are plenty of us still go ga-ga over the recent album anniversary sets, certain music radio stations will produce dedicated programmes to co-incide with the new releases etc.

On the other hand, the 8DAW & AHDN cinema releases were very sparsely attended (attendance for both was eclipsed by audiences for Roger Waters’ The Wall and Zeppelin’s Celebration Day screenings I was at). And the two Beatles films were one off single screenings only.

Case in point: I’ve been in Liverpool twice over the past couple of weeks for various reasons. On both occasions I stopped by HMV, the biggest (only?) music shop in Liverpool. The Beatles are just another band in there. Their catalogue in the Rock/Pop section, no more or less promenant than say the Beach Boys.

Nip into Waterstones book shop and they have a dedicated Beatles section in amongst the local history section. Nothing more prominent than that.

Don;t get me wrong; I don’t think the city should be trading exclusively on the band. There is so much more to Liverpool than the band or even music (I love seeing bands in Liverpool, usually a great crowd!), but aside from The Beatles Story Exhibition on the docks, the city tours etc, you can spend hours in the city centre and not come across anything to do with the band unless you specifically went looking. COmplete contrast to my first visit to NYC.

The rest of country is like this as well. Historically your average household was more likely to have a copy of Queen’s Greatest Hits than the red, blue or 1 compilations.

My own parents were both born in 1948 and were around for Beatlemania. And they both stopped listening in 1965 when Rubber Soul went all ‘weird’ (their words). They view my own Beatle fixation with bemusement (at best) and utter confusion (why would I listen to anything in mono on purpose?).

I honestly wonder if there isn’t something to the suggestion that you cannot be a prophet in your own country. Much of the appeal of visiting NYC those first couple of times was as a massive Ramones fan. Went down to CBGBs, stood on the corner of 53rd and 3rd, sought out Manny’s guitar shop etc. Aside from the Virgin Megastore staff ,member who served me when I bought every Ramones CD, DVD and laserdisc I hadn’t already got and commented, no one and nothing else even mentioned the band - and I went looking & asking.

Wherever else I’ve been in the world, especially Japan, as soon anyone has found out I’m from England I’ve been asked how far I live from Liverpool and have I been there. The two Japanese ladies I got talking to in the queue getting in to see Paul at the Manchester Arena in 2011 were visibly impressed I’d seen Paul in Liverpool in 2003. Talk to your average person in the UK though and they likely do a ‘thumbs up Macca impression’ at best.

Music buffs here enthuse and appreciate the band as much as anyone, anywhere in the world. Outside of that there isn’t a massive, deeply felt wellspring of affection.

The Walker gallery in Liverpool has a Linda McCartney exhibition starting 8th August - I’m already planning my visit after Linda’s photos in the Beatles & Paul Archive deluxe box sets. Other than a handful of Beatles fanatics and photography buffs, I’m not expecting the place to mobbed when I do go.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I thought it was just the trousers... ;)

tappioha, SteveRes and boggs like this.
  10. beatleroadie

That didn't hurt! lol

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I have never heard any evidence that Paul was against the Hey Jude album.

In fact, he has said that that they always had a one veto policy [ie, four yeses or the project/plan does not go forward]. That was broken when they couldn't agree on the Klein/Eastman front and Spector's Let It Be production. There was never any mention of the Hey Jude [aka Beatles Again] LP as one of those contentious conflicts.

In fact, from 1967 to 1975 The Beatles had veto power over any Capitol compilation and they approved both Magical Mystery Tour and Hey Jude/The Beatles Again.

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yes they are, artistically. We love the music, by and large but we are not overtly demonstrative about it.

It is a a hard thing to explain. Scepticism and reserve are large parts of the British national character. We tend not to elevate our idols too highly and if we do build them up we just as quickly knock them down so whilst the music has huge resonance for many people, the wider phenomenon of the Beatles has not really endured in popular consciousness. We are not for the most part sentimental or nostalgic about them. They don't represent, for example, a lost world or lost youth for most Brits in the way they seem to in other parts of the world. We just like the songs.

coffeetime and Harman like this.
  13. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

Wow,that is amazing,i'm blown away by that but maybe your Ramones story is accurate,i never hear
    anyone talk of them honestly.I always assumed The Beatles were forever kings of the UK especially
    in Liverpool. As far as Queen,and again i obviously cant speak for everyone,but if not for the recent bio pic
    or even going back a few years to the Wayne's World movie i think they would be almost completely
    forgotten about here in the US

coffeetime likes this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Because... marketing!!

:-popcorn:

15. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

Its funny my parents are in there early 70s and they define there youth as Before the Beatles and After the Beatles

16. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Quick sidebar about the Hey Jude album:

The Hey Jude album was conceived by Allen Klein and Apple Records. Klein had negotiated a more lucrative contract for the Beatles with Capitol Records in 1969 which required one compilation album per year​

So - it was released not only as a stop-gap due to the Get Back/Let It Be delay - but also as part of that big contract.

Cheers,
    Paul

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I was told there would not be math on this thread... :mad:

Arnold Grove and Aoide like this.
  18. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Still on Hulu too - they helped produce it. It's under their "Hulu Originals" page.

Cheers,
    Paul

Arnold Grove likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Now there's hope!

20. beatleroadie

Interesting, were there compilations in 1971 and 1972?

21. beatleroadie

Maybe. But we don't know Apple's plans for LIB50. We are assuming Apple wants to time the box set with the film. But we have no indication of that. If that was the case, why not mention a deluxe audio release in the same press release that announced the release date for the film? Not even a single vague line about companion audio releases (for a piggybacking marketing pla that's dropping the ball)...Or why not mention a deluxe LIB box set coming along with the film back on May 8 when they commemorated the LP anniversary with a short video?

We don't know. But we were never given confirmation from official sources or insiders that LIB50 was coming in late Aug/early Sept at the same time as Jackson's GET BACK, so I find it hard to assume a simultaneous release for Get Back and LIB50 was ever Apple's plan.

I'm just expressing what makes sense to me and not trying to assume I know better and not trying to assume I know what Apple plans to do.

It's possible they always planned to release a LIB50 box close to Christmas 2020 (after the new film completed its run in theaters), and it's possible the postponement of the film will not affect that audio plan in the macro. We can just wait and see.

Beatlemen likes this.
  22. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Sure.

Sloppy marketing :magoo: :nauga:

beatleroadie likes this.
  23. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Agreed. Why would they want to miss the 2020 Christmas sales altogether? It would be a strange move.
    Apple likes money, like everybody ;)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  24. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

So - another source lists the deal like this:

Allen Klein swiftly renegotiated their EMI contract, obtaining them the highest royalties ever paid to an artist at the time. EMI, in return, were allowed to release Beatles compilations, which Brian Epstein had always resisted.
    If we combine the two statements - basically that Capitol/EMI can release 1 compilation a year worldwide, then it fits.

In 1971:

Por Siempre Beatles is a compilation album by the English rock group the Beatles, released in 1971 in Spain (as EMI/Odeon J060-04973) and Argentina (EMI-Odeon LDS 2200). It contains various songs from 1965 –1968 that had not appeared on a British studio album by the Beatles.
    and in 1972:

The Essential Beatles is a greatest hits compilation album by The Beatles which was exclusive to Australia and New Zealand on the Apple Records label. All of the songs featured on the album (with the exception of "With a Little Help from My Friends") reached the top 3 in the Australian charts as singles and EP tracks
    Then, of course, the Red & Blue albums in 1973, etc. etc.

Cheers,
    Paul

evilpants likes this.
  25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Excellent illustration of your average Brit’s view of the band. British SHF members excepted, obviously.

edmund_k likes this.