Motorhead Ace of Spades 40th Anniversary Deluxe Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, Jul 22, 2020.

1. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ace of Spades 40th Anniversary

Looks like there's going to be a (new) deluxe reissue of Ace of Spades. The super deluxe comes with the following:
    • The Ace Of Spades album, half-speed mastered and created from the original master tapes.
    • Two double-live albums of previously unheard concerts from the Ace Up Your Sleeve tour (Belfast and Orleans 1981).
    • A Fistful Of Instrumentals : An EP of previously unreleased, instrumental tracks from 1980.
    • The Good, The Broke & The Ugly. A double album of B-sides, outtakes and rare tracks.
    • Ace On Your Screens: A DVD compilation of rare TV appearances from 1980-81, a live concert from 1981 and a 5.1 audio mix of the original album.
    • The Ace Of Spades story. A 40 page book telling the story of Ace Of Spades through previously unpublished interviews with the people that were there. Includes never before seen photos and memorabilia.
    • The Ace Up Your Sleeve tour program.
    • The Motorhead Rock Commando comic.
    • A set of 5 poker dice that can be played on the game board inside the box set lid.
    • All encased in a classic Wild West dynamite box.
    • A limited edition 7" reproduction of the Dutch 'Ace Of Spades' single, with a previously unreleased instrumental version on Side B (please note, this is only a gift with purchase, and is only available while stocks of this item last).
    The regular deluxe comes with just the Belfast concert. Looks cool, though I know a lot of people weren't thrilled with the remastering of the Overkill and Bomber deluxe reissues (the concerts were very cool in my opinion).

Anyway, here's a new video for the title track live in Belfast 1981:

2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I've been giving these a skip.

Love Motorhead, but why do all those set variations and yet not do one where you can get CD's only - no vinyl- and all of the music and other paraphernalia.

JEM512, Pouchkine, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  3. RockDude4492

That honestly had me baffled a bit, I would love all the material in the big box on CD. I'll probably pick up the 2CD at some point (can't go wrong with a full live show from this time period) but it would be great to have the other concert and the outtakes/alternate versions on CD as well.

Spastica, Jarleboy and TheLoveDrags like this.
  4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Seems a silly decision, but I have started taking the view it simply saves me money (won't bother with the 2CD version - will stick with the versions I already have).

TheLoveDrags and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I got the 1979 set off iTunes for like $15. Was totally worthwhile for the live sets. If there is a cheap 1980 set released digitally again I will also purchase it. I have these albums already but I enjoy the live material.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The Ace Of Spades album; brand new master created from the original tapes for optimal speaker smashing dynamic range.

Have to ear that first!

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I will get the 2cd version.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Don't believe that.... the first two reissues sound awful. I pass!

rnranimal and ponkine like this.
  10. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

40 years...

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  11. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I will probably splurge on the big box set.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

So what's the big difference between the deluxe and super de luxe box? Except the price $175 and $300??

M2225 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Looks like the audio/video content is the same. Difference is some extra ‘stuff’ .... Shot glasses, playing cards, mat etc. Plus the box is slightly different by the looks of it.

mestreech and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

after having bought the 1979 box set and wondering why it cost so much more than the individual sets i now see no reason to spend almost double to get the super deluxe set for a wooden box, cards and some shotglasses.
    probably get just the deluxe set for the live albums, or see if it pops up on digital with the live content for less.

15. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I'll get the triple vinyl if initial reports are good and it's not pressed at gzvinyl. I don't think I need both live albums.

16. RockDude4492

They said something similar for the last two reissues. I don’t know why they bother saying it if it's not true (which was the case for the last reissues). They could not say anything and we would assume that it's going to be compressed, but wording like this makes it seem like it's supposed to be mastered well and they messed up.

I'm disappointed that I am unable to get both concerts on CD, but I will definitely enjoy whatever I do get and hopefully I'll be able to listen to both concerts at some point.

17. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Auto buy ... but for the 2 CD version. :)

Sometimes these SDE's end up on iTunes and/or Amazon, and for the extra stuff, I don't care mp3 vs flac ...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

Got the DVD-Audio version so I’ll pass for now.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have a pressing that sounds terrible. Cant find it right now. If this sounds good, I'll buy it.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

21. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I'm in on the deluxe set if I can find it cheaper than $175. I already have the DVD-A and the 2cd deluxe edition.

22. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I'm in for the 2 cd version, although I'll prolly only listen to the live disc.

kevin5brown and TheLoveDrags like this.
  23. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

The LPs sound good. I haven’t heard the CDs, but the dynamic range numbers are lousy.

Tojo and inglorious like this.
  24. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

I’ve got the 79 vinylbox and the LPs sound terrific.

inglorious, Juggsnelson and Nycademon like this.