Bob Dylan Studio Album: "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - June 19, 2020*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Slight warp on Disc one of the Gold Indie. Nearly stands up against the recent MoFi of Oh Mercy sonically tho. :agree:

Thesmellofvinyl and Bill Why Man like this.
  2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I can live with some clicks and pops, perhaps as I grew up back in the day when that was part of the LP experience - we didn’t have anything like a Spin Clean, just a felt brush to dust off records - but I cannot and will not accept warping. That’s my number one dealbreaker with records, and I will return a warped record, no matter if it makes my local indie retailer eat the cost of the record or not.

3. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

yeah but you can clone them. you cant take the clicks pops and scratches off vinyl albums.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The very high rate of returns is one of the reasons why vinyl prices are so high. These are inherent flaws in the record production process. They will occur. Consumers before the age of CDs tended to recognize that and did not return records at the high rates that are returned today. After the CD era, consumer satisfaction with new LPs plummeted and returns skyrocketed, thus the prices often being triple the price of CDs. So, it is really the consumer that is eating the cost of the returns, with every purchase.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This is going off topic and turning into another vinyl bashing thread. You do get the occasional faulty CD as well in my experience. I doubt returns figure much in the pricing, judging by the wide variations, based on the artist mainly. The Dylan vinyl I got was essentially fault free and any odd sound could have been dust as I didn't bother to clean before listening. In general worth the price for the sound quality and packaging. People on the forum return records for reasons that don't bother most buyers with low quality players. Some return for reasons that are trivial even by my exacting standards.

Tom Campbell and timnor like this.
  6. Sneezyachew

Worth it.

Ted Bell likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am not bashing vinyl itself. I have over 100,000 LPs in three rooms. What actually bothers me is all the moaning from vinyl-only buyers which ultimately is a reason that vinyl prices are so high

8. Classicrock

I'm sure prices aren't directly related to returns. Vinyl lps always had a high return rate which in the past was built in to the wholesale price. So no different now to 80s when vinyl was perceived as cheap. The pricing is more a matter of what they can charge depending on title and demand. CDs are just cheap to manufacture which was not reflected in price until demand dropped. There is a slightly increased problem that looks worse reading this forum but I remember returning plenty faulty product in the 70s especially.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Returns are definitely a factor, though the most significant factor is the consumers that are willing to pay triple the price. Returns were at a lower rate back in the heyday of the LP (in the 70's to early 80's). Most of the returns back then were from people who decided they didn't like the music or just taped the record and tried to say it was defective, or scratched it themselves. I worked in a record store at night in the 70's and this was usually the case.

Today, people generally know the music and it is mostly people who demand absolute perfection that are returning records. Return rates are pretty significant today, and you will note that many return two or three copies.

10. Sneezyachew

I’m gradually building and curating a collection of records over time I’ll want to revisit throughout my life. Not a library of 100,000 records, all due respect. If a record has defects like bad warping, many rotations of ticking, or that non-fill tear sound, it’s definitely going back.

Personally, I would be unlikely to return to an indie right now, but I don’t consider that ideal.

Ultimately, I’d much prefer to pay $34 for an album and know I can return it if need be.

11. Classicrock

So was I the only person returning multiple copies in the 70s? It happened a few times and I was in a queue behind others. You could get whole bad runs of pressings. If things have got worse it's those returning for slight dish warps and 1mm of centre that are causing it. I never accepted, scratches, swooshes and generally noisy surfaces. Overall current vinyl has quieter backgrounds if you exclude the above. I still come across used vinyl with problems that are related to pressing quality rather than wear. The people posting here aren't typical of your average vinyl buyer. Half of them think the faults are part of the cool experience. Also you have to take into account people have better turntables that are more revealing of problems. I think half the reported returns on Hoffman are off centre obsessives which is a problem I hardly ever encounter. Check your old records and you will find this is not exactly a 21st century only problem. I thought record shops specifically wouldn't accept returning a record because the buyer didn't like the music (ever), only faulty goods.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would agree with you. You were not the only person doing that.

13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I think I got maybe 2 warped records in the 80s I returned? Obvs. th' Hoff Forums are not representative (or maybe when it comes to new vinyl buyers, they are?) but I swear it sounds like half the new vinyl you guys buy is a wreck requiring returns.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t remember warping of new vinyl being a problem in the 70s like it is now.

hardknox and NYMets41 like this.
  15. bobbycat

bobbycat Forum Resident

Got the black vinyl..Sonically it´s a revelation, fantastic sounding..And on top my copy is -apart from the odd small tic which I´m sure I´ll get rid off with some good cleaning - noisefree.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

RCA albums were always warped.
    I think the warping process was called Dynaflex.
    No sense in returning.

17. I sold records in stores in the 70s. There were lots of records returned for warps, scratches and other anomalies. Same as today really. I buy lots of records and maybe get 2 or 3 three that I have to return out of a hundred.

18. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I purchased the olive green & yellow variants. I played the yellow & it has a strange distortion throughout. They sent a replacement. Same thing.

so I opened & played my olive green. Same thing.

Anyone else had this issue across different colour variants?

im in the uk & bought the yellow from the Dylan store & the olive from an indie store.

19. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I have no problems with my olive green edition. Flat, quiet and sounds great. I bought it from Badlands UK. I have a still sealed yellow edition from JPC, Germany.

20. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

mine was also from Badlands. Strange.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though there were true defects, I seriously believe that many records returned with warps or scratches were warped or scratched by the buyer who either didn't like the record enough to keep it or taped the record. A warp takes 5 minutes to create, a scratch just one second. I don't think those reasons (not liking the music or taping) occur these days, as most consumers can sample the music or know what they are buying, and hardly anyone tapes or digitizes a vinyl record just to exchange it. Many buyers were too stoned to bother returning a record, as they enjoyed the music anyway.

22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

very few people returned records back in the day unless they were really warped. Such are the facts.
    Most of the stuff people complain about now was unknown back then, I dont see how anyone can argue
    facts. "Fill" problems didnt exist and nobody had any idea nor cared where their albums were 'printed' etc
    or the history of the various printing presses.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  23. Wrong. I worked in record stores from 1973-77 and then for labels after that time. We had a lot of returns every week (fortunately labels took everything back in those days).

There were warps, scratches, blobs of dried vinyl on top of the record, edges cut out of records, wrong records in wrong jackets, wrong labels on records, labels on the playing area, two labels on one side, no labels, spindle holes off center, surface noise, etc.

The one thing I don't recall ever experiencing back then was non fill. At least I never head the term until I came to these forums, a dozen or so years ago.

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I dont remember ever returning an album back then. Everyone knew the flimsy RCA records were going to be warped. So bought them and put a penny on the cartridge.

I bought my records at a store that 'specialized' in 'promo' copies. The new Fleetwood Mac you could get for 4.99 instead of 8.99 but with a big red sticker on the cover. No returns were accepted.

25. Sneezyachew

Guys, it’s alright to have standards. I almost never return records. Sometimes I know the defects will be too bothersome for me to live with. Those a I return or find another copy if I must.

Satrus and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.