Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I haven't purchased any cds this year.
    There is no reason for me to buy them as I can stream whatever I want and often in better sound quality. If I decide that an album deserves a purchase, it's gonna be the good ol’ vinyl LP format.

xfilian and condorsat like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Gotta love that snap crackle pop.

3. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Yes, but generally rip immediately and store.
    Usually stuff I'll only occasionally listen to at home or in the car, or not warranted (or unavailable) on vinyl.
    I have purchased a lot of "Greatest Hits" etc. on CD, as they can generally sound pretty good and they give me just enough of whatever band/performer.

4. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Yes. And now that my favorite record store opened up a couple of weeks ago (where I haven't been since March but am going this weekend), I'm sure I will bring home quite a few more. :righton:

5. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Only when not available as SACD or HiRes download. Don't buy as much as in the past. Perhaps one a month or two.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Yup.

Just recently got my copy of Lee Morgan's The Cooker on CD.

But, I also have a couple of LPs in my cart at Music Direct, too.

7. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

If I can get the digital download at cd quality for less than the price for the cd, I won't buy the cd. My digital purchase frequency has dropped down to almost non-existent, however, and I don't own a cd player. I play my digital content from my Pono attached to my int/pre.

8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I've found that with some albums the CD is actually cheaper than the download.

9. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them!

10. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

Even if they became obsolete I would continue to buy them. There's a glut in the pre owned market for cds , dvds and vinyl at present.
    Anything priced over a dollar I keep walking. Flea markets and swap meets are a great source for used media. Plus I get to meet a lot of new people with similar interests.

11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

No, I can't remember the last CD I bought. I prefer streaming and have more than enough CDs to fall back on if that has to end at some point.

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm buying lots of new CDs right now. Strangely, due to all of the new music that I'm discovering by streaming on Amazon HD on my Marantz streamer, I've actually been buying more CDs than ever recently.

Unfortunately, I'm also finding that many of these new (to me) artists that I'm discovering, either are only releasing via streaming now, or that CDs by these artist are so rare as to be priced into the stratosphere.

unclefred and Eigenvector like this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

until we can download CD quality files (that i can own, save and back up) at reasonable cost with CD title catalog availability i will continue to buy CDs.
    those are big asks at the moment.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd also like to be able to purchase used downloads from random Amazon sellers for $5.

15. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I buy used anymore. I've found a few sellers on Discogs that have very good deals on used CDs, that's been the majority of what I buy anymore.

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

that would be nice.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  17. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I'm buying lots of new and some used CDs; great vfm. I buy vinyl too but recently most of my £££ has gone on CDs.

18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I used to buy 10 a month. Now its like 10 a year.

More a function of lifestyle changes than format/musical taste.

I would buy more SACDs, if 'they' would make them, tho...

bhazen likes this.
  19. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I will always purchase cds (and SACDs), it's however getting more and more difficult to get cds in a jewel case. And that last one is important to me, so I'm hunting jewel case versions in countries like Japan, Taiwan, Russia and even Argentina. It's always a hunt in a hunt which is asking sometimes a lot of patience and detective work.

Sometimes a big megastore somewhere is selling suddenly a jewel case version of the cd you're looking for and you have even to beg friends for getting one for me. Thank God I've friends almost everywhere ... :D

PS: I still need a friend in South-Korea and in Brazil. Someone? :sigh:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  20. Nope. I buy the occasional record, but not interested in CDs.

xfilian, condorsat and beat_truck like this.
  21. Still buying, only used, only if in the DR database. With DR less than 10 the music begins to be much less enjoyable.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Lowrider75 likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Voted "yes", but really voted "yes, but far fewer than in years gone by". Nothing to do with CD as a format (it's perfect), it's just that I'm drowning in the things. And, I suspect my collection is nearing "completion" ... I've probably got, I dunno, 97% of the music that's essential for me to own. At some point I'll get Internet at home and the free version of Spotify to listen to that stuff they write about in Pitchfork ...

Man at C&A and brew ziggins like this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Yep. I do stream in the other room with HT gear but for real listening it's in the 2 ch rm.

24. condorsat

condorsat Audio Pragmatist

No CD's this year. Bought two last year that I ripped to my old Ipod Classic that I use in the car and for walks. Still buying both new & used Vinyl. Other wise I mostly stream.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

As long as the Beatles keep reissuing CDs, I'm still buying 1 a year!!!!

Detroit Rock Citizen and bhazen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.