Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Blu-Ray collection from WB

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

To be fair, Beanstalk Bunny shows a cigarette and a snuff box, but neither was really used. Elmer puts the cigarette in his mouth and tries to light it, Bugs and Daffy blow out the match each time. He then squeezes Bugs and Daffy out of the cigarette end. Bugs Bonnet might be a stronger example when Bugs blows the cloud of smoke with a cigar at Elmer's face.

cloggedmind likes this.
  2. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Final disc of contents here:

1.Bugsy and Mugsy NEW TO DISC
    2.Show Biz Bugs
    3.Hare-Less Wolf NEW TO DISC
    4.Now, Hare This NEW TO DISC
    5.Knighty Knight Bugs
    6.Hare-Abian Nights NEW TO DISC
    7.Backwoods Bunny NEW TO DISC
    8.Wild and Woolly Hare NEW TO DISC
    9.Bonanza Bunny NEW TO DISC
    10.People are Bunny BLURAY DEBUT
    11.Person to Bunny BLURAY DEBUT
    12.Rabbit’s Feat NEW TO DISC
    13.From Hare to Heir BLURAY DEBUT
    14.Compressed Hare NEW TO DISC
    15.Prince Violent NEW TO DISC
    16.Shishkabugs NEW TO DISC
    17.The Million Hare BLURAY DEBUT
    18.The Unmentionables NEW TO DISC
    19.False Hare BLURAY DEBUT
    20.Blooper Bunn BLURAY DEBUT

A couple Wile E. Coyote pairings, all remaining Rocky & Mugsy shorts, the underrated "Backwoods Bunny," good stuff. A few duds in here but great to have all these in HD finally.

Final tally:

BLURAY REPEATS: 13
    NEW TO BLURAY: 15
    NEW TO DISC: 32!

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I can tell you for a fact that all the remastered shorts' digital HD files have been done for years and years and are literally sitting on the shelf in a big vault at Warner Bros. in Burbank. (Actually several big vaults all over the world.)

budwhite, supermd, PTgraphics and 6 others like this.
  4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I just watched “The Unruly Hare” (trying to find what could be objectionable). One reason why WB might be a bit squeamish to release it is due to all of the gun play.

Elmer really goes to town trying to blast Bugs.

He even shoots Bugs in the back (after Bugs goes on a soliloquy about how only a rat would shoot someone in the back).

“There’s something scwewy awound here...”
    “Eh, could be you, doc!”
    :laugh:

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Thanks for the list!

I am a bit sad “Wet Hare” didn’t make the cut. That was a Saturday morning staple and Blacque Jacque Shellacque was a worthy opponent.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks for that info! and that sucks! too bad for us.

Sammy Banderas and longdist01 like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there's is really nothing we can do about this! : (

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Interesting there's 10 Looney Tunes cartoon episodes in Bonus contents...wonder what those feature?

10. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Episodes of the 2020 HBO Max Series, just unsure which ones yet.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

So basically, my favorite ones...:(

12. AppleCorp3

So, really dumb question for the group...are there any shorts that are completely lost that feature the main characters (Bugs, Daffy, Porky, etc)? Have all extant shorts been digitized?

13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

14. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

I read somewhere (maybe on another thread here) that the decision to replace Elmer Fudd's gun with a scythe in the new cartoons on HBO Max was to comply with Chinese censorship rules. Since most of the new cartoons here are also going to be streaming on HBO Max, that might be a factor in their selection. Things that are problematic for the Chinese market might not be problematic for the U.S. market and vice versa.

I'm guessing the market for Looney Tunes in China is mostly kids since adults there didn't grow up watching these cartoons on TV. So the nostalgia factor is missing.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  15. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, but why can't they just refrain from releasing the ones that the Chinese authorities disapprove of for Chinese releases only, but keep them intact here? Is there really a huge cost to do that?

Those WB cartoons are important examples of American pop-art as far as I am concerned. They all should be preserved, and almost all should be released to the public in some format. What is the cost to WB to allow them all to be streamed on HBO Max? And the controversial examples not released to the general public should at least be preserved for film historians.

If they remain relegated to corporate purgatory, they will eventually be lost forever.

16. electricberet

I agree with you. I'm just speculating on their possible motives.

Spaghettiows and longdist01 like this.
  17. electricberet

There were apparently some shorts in the mid-to-late 1960s featuring Daffy Duck and Speedy Gonzales that have never been released in any home video format, including Laserdisc.

longdist01 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  18. AppleCorp3

I know those are not well regarded (and it is an odd pairing) but that’s a shame!

longdist01 and electricberet like this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ouch. They're cartoons! Leave them untouched or release 2 versions if you want so people can choose. This revisionist PC BS is getting old.

20. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The post was referring to a TV network airing the cartoons, not a home video release.

Warner Bros. – unlike Disney – has never (to my knowledge) released anything edited or censored in any way.

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, no but Tom & Jerry hit a few problem spots (blackface gags edited and redubbed Mammy Two-Shoes) but those were corrected in later pressings.

Of course "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" aren't available on DVD on this side of the Atlantic, "His Mouse Friday" had a shot reframed to take out a black native stereotype and one of the Cinemascope shorts "Pup on a Picnic" was presented in 16x9 full frame but I digress.

22. bem

bem Forum Resident

I'm in for this set but I don't really need or want the Funko Pop. Is there a set with just the discs, or will there be a set with just the discs?

Also I agree with everybody else who says just put it all out. I wish Warner Bros. Had done it years ago, but they didn't. Now the cartoons are being released in a sporadic haphazard manner.

longdist01 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  23. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Turner had no problem “correcting” MGM cartoons back in the day. So, I wonder if the oversights that happened later were a result of that? (The old Tex Avery LD set from the 90s had a few questionable gags excised.)

WB seems to be more apt to add a disclaimer and release things “as nature intended”. (Which is obviously the best way.)

PTgraphics and longdist01 like this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That sounds right, Warners using the broadcast masters Turner made for Cartoon Network.

25. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Those late 60s toons and beyond are mostly not good. Looked like cheap animation etc.

Glad to see a decent amount of new to disc toons. I am 51 and grew up watching Looney Tunes. Mostly from faded prints on the Cartoon Network (June Bugs!) and regular network tv on weekends and also after school in the 80s. I have a few VHS tapes in a box and I remember renting the War Time VHS at Blockbuster. Good stuff but I really didn’t care for the Toons after the early 60s. I bought the iTunes versions of the Bugs Bunny specials that they put out in the 70s and 80s where they do put new animation to the older toons. They are in HD and I guess they are ok but nowhere near my favorites. My kids like them though.

Mister Charlie and electricberet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.