Advice on returning a record to my local store

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by malagacoolers, Jul 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked up a brand new LP from my local shop. The first track has intermittent surface static for about the first minute and a half or so. The rest of the album plays fine. I gave the record two solid cleans and that surface noise isn’t going anywhere. That first minute and a half is really bothering me! Would I be ridiculous to bring this back to my local shop to request an exchange?

Have you been in a similar boat? What did you do? Thanks!

DK Pete and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

A brand-new record that is defective should always be returned for an exchange or credit, jmho.

I have never settled for defective merchandise, so I cannot attest to
    any reasons or possible rationale for such a practice.

3. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for your input

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not since the 1970's...back in those days, you could show them the issue on the turntable in the store, and get the benefit of the doubt, even if it played fine on their system.

Step one: wear a mask when you go in.

impalaboy likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

get another... one should not have to put up with any song on a brand new album playing defective...

WithinYourReach and DK Pete like this.
  6. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Ideally they've got a turntable to give it a spin. You might also do a little research to see if others are having the same issue. Does this group or performer have a fan discussion that you could look at to see if this is a widespread issue?
    You've got the receipt hopefully, if you still have the shrink w/ hype and price stickers, bring it also.
    Be polite

DK Pete likes this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If you're polite and kindly explain the issue as everyone has implied/said, you shouldn't have a problem returning it...especially if it's a new, sealed album. But you do have to consider one thing; if the "pressing series" your copy came from wasn't a very good one, you *may* end up with an even worse copy. Assuming that your store owner takes it back, you have to have the understanding that if the replacement is also defective, you have the option of returning that one as well. Good luck.

Farmer Mike and newriverrat like this.
  8. newriverrat

newriverrat Forum Resident

Took one back to Barnes and Noble-Dylan: Blood on the Tracks- Looked like a small scoop was removed on track 1. Not in stock, they shipped it to my house, overnight. Yes, take it back. We are paying too much to tolerate less than perfect.

9. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I would return it and exchange for another copy if they have it, or take store credit. Just be polite and explain the issue with the record.

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.