Stock, Aitken and Waterman - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

They were loved and hated in equal measure but for those who enjoyed any of the music they produced I thought I would create this thread.

Feel free to post any songs or reminisce about some of the acts.

Did anyone go to the Hitman roadshow or see any of the acts in concert?

2. obi

obi Forum Resident

I was actually expecting to get Rick-rolled when opening this thread :agree:

3. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I love the early work they did with Divine and Dead or Alive (and 'Venus' is also fantastic) — but from that point they became hopelessly generic and seemingly used the same backing track for every single, whether it was Rick, Kylie, or Jason. It's a shame, as their HiNRG beginnings were brilliant.

4. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Spot on. Back in the beginning, they did more with less ("You Think You're A Man" is exceptional), but in the later days, even when given a powerhouse vocalist like Laura Branigan, the promise just went unfulfilled. Not completely, of course, but there was a nagging sense that there could have been something better than "Shattered Glass" had SAW not dulled their cutting edge.

bluemooze, Jarleboy, Jspmike and 3 others like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't like them at all, they were incredibly arrogant too, but they had a new sound at first. The Mel and Kim records were great pop. Some of the Kylie ones from the early 90s that were less generic were good too.

My sister absolutely loves all the SAW records. I heard them on the other side of the wall for years!

6. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i appreciate them having gone away, does that count?

7. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

It all seemed so incredibly lazy, didn't it — they'd found a formula that sold lots of records, so they just regurgitated it, over and over and over and over.... Even the Bananarama singles from Wow! all sound the same to my ears.

'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)', however, is one of those all-time classics that will live forever.

8. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Hazell Dean 'Whatever i do, wherever i go'
    Carol Hitchcock 'Get ready'
    Michael Davidson 'Turn it up'
    Divine 'You think you're a man'

Just a few of my faves....

9. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Kylie's 1989 S.A.W. single "I Wouldn't Change A Thing" didn't chart in the U.S. but was a big hit elsewhere, like in the U.K. This is one of my favorite S.A.W. singles and I remember thinking at the time that the melody of its verses was really fantastic. I bought the album on cassette -- pretty sure I still have it.

10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Not sure if it's in good taste to post this next song, given the sad news about Peter Green.

Still, here is SAW's nadir. To think they had the brass neck to complain that thier records weren't being played enough!

rfkavanagh, Mylene, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Completely agree about it being their nadir!

pwhytey likes this.
  12. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Bananarama ‎– Wow! is a pretty good record. I didn't like what they did with Donna Summer though.
    [​IMG]

TheLastVoice and bluemooze like this.
  13. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

one of my personal faves is Sonia, lesser know I think than some others... very uplifting dance songs, this one and You'll Never Stop Me Loving You always put me in a good mood

Sonia - Listen to Your Heart

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My sis even likes this!

Bink likes this.
  15. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I like the single they did with Sigue Sigue Sputnik (“Success”). Didn’t they do a record with Peter and Test Tube Babies? Never heard that one, but I’m sure it’s... odd.

A-Tone, TheLastVoice and c-eling like this.
  16. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Not that I particularly want to post in a SAW appreciation thread, but....

They also did a single with The Danse Society - presumably an attempt by their label to replicate the success of Dead Or Alive?

17. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Shooting Party (Safe in the Arms of Love), very good 80's Hi-Nrg disco track, although this is Phil Harding Ian Curnow, not SAW direclty

Shooting Party - Safe in the Arms of Love (1989)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    TheLastVoice, Bink and bluemooze like this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There was a wonderful 'lounge-and-bass' group who's name is a play on the famous production team!
    They're called STOCK, HOUSEN & WALKMAN!

Jarleboy and bluemooze like this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

20. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I hit a Barnes & Noble yesterday to see how the U.K. magazine fill was and noticed that either Uncut or Mojo has done a S.A.W. special issue. Rick is on one cover and Kylie, I think, is on another. Not a fan, but I had few customers and an employee that bought everything connected to those guys.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  21. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I was waiting for the Beatles to be mentioned... That at least would have been brave with a video shot in Liverpool ;)

22. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

This is an appreciation thread, right? So... They had lots of hits.

Erick Haight likes this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Success 12 inch is a hoot, and loved Dead or Alive's Mad, Bad And Dangerous era tunes and mixes :)
    [​IMG]

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

2/3's
    About as manufactured as you can get, including the god-awful band name, geesh. Terrible for a bunch of hot chicks :laugh:
    That's What Love Can Do was all over local radio around here, which I actually enjoyed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    AndrewK and Bink like this.
  25. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Hit Factory - The Stock Aitken And Waterman Story