Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Length of cables do not always play a factor on whether or not to use balanced cables. I have noise issues within my system and using all balanced cabling totally eliminated it. My cables are mostly 2' with a few 3' cables.

mreeter likes this.
  2. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

If the A21+ is anything like the A21 the highs are not rolled off and the amp is not lacking sparkle or anything else. The top end is smooth with zero grain but there’s an abundance of life and definition. Midrange transparency and separation are hallmarks of this amp. The bass is very good and weighty as I am finding out with my Focals.

Monty12, GLYNSTYLER, mreeter and 3 others like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

very nice review and encouraging for me as i have a nice tube linestage, the SHL5+s and an a21+ on the way.
    any additional comments since then?

4. avanti1960

if parasound would provide the proper voltage spec we would be all set.

pdxway likes this.
  5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Email them. They are quick to respond.

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've had the A21 for a while and now a JC5 mated with a ModWright LS 100 tube preamp.

The combination of either of these amps, paired with a tube preamp, is VERY pleasing to the ear.

Plus, the Halo Amps are very quiet, no tube tranny noise/hum issues. Clean, effortless Power and enough Current to drive about any load with ease.

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have communicated with Richard Schram on many issues, he is excellent to respond. I have also had great response from the customer service, next to SVS, Parasound is one of the best. I am sure they will answer your questions, especially knowing you have an A21+ on the way.
    I will be very interested in knowing your impressions....I love the amp section of my HINT, been wondering about adding an A21/+ and using the HINT as preamp. Parasound has told me to spend money elsewhere, but the price of an A21 compared to other amps in its range does not compare, it is such a great deal and performer. It has more than enough watts and especially 60 amps of peak current and a huge toroid transformer, it can drive any speaker is my guess.

vavan, mreeter, avanti1960 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The fact that Parasound told you to "spend money elsewhere" says so much. Not only is Parasound being totally honest but they are not trying to get you spend more of your hard earned money on their products.

I've talked to Richard Schram on several occasions. On one discussion he told me that the P5 was not a huge step up in overall SQ to my 2100. I really appreciated his honesty and the time he took to take my call. First class all the way!

bever70, vavan, Monty12 and 2 others like this.
  9. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I also find this to be true, although I have a lower tier Parasound 2125. The difference between the Peachtree Nova Pre and my Freya in front of the Parasound is night and day in my room.

Every time there is new activity on this thread some one chimes in with a story like this. It gives this Parasound owner great comfort, and will probably be a deciding factor when the day come for me to upgrade my amps.

Monty12 and mreeter like this.
  10. avanti1960

I have communicated with Mr. Schram before- even in person in Chicago a few years ago. One of the reasons I am going with a Parasound amp- although no offense to anyone I do not care for anything below the Halo.
    Too bad your Hint doesn't have pre-to power amp jumpers- your best bet for an upgrade would be a choice tube preamp. Preamp has more of an affect on the sound quality than the power amp does.

Catcher10 likes this.
  11. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

True, although I do like it has balanced preamp outputs..

12. avanti1960

I am a little concerned about transparency though. My Rogue Audio Stereo 100 was incredibly transparent and put solid state amps to shame. No doubt the a21+ will have the extra grunt and bass impact I am seeking but could overall be a trade-off in the wrong direction. I can always go back if needed. Seems like there are always compromises to be made.

mreeter likes this.
  13. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I have owned some great tube amps...and some great ss amps...transparency is not a weakness of solid state my friend...and i suspect you will be amazed at what a big azz SS amp does with the woofers in your harbys:)

Rick58 and mreeter like this.
  14. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

After the A21+ has had time to run in, a comparison to the Rogue St. 100 would be interesting. I look forward to your impressions:agree: Different Amps and design, different strengths and probably very few weaknesses, if any:righton:

avanti1960 and Rick58 like this.
  15. avanti1960

will do. i have been listening to my old NAD C272 power amp from 2004 now that the Stereo 100 is gone. It is a clear downgrade from the 100 as it should be but still sounds good on occasion. The a21+ has got to sound better- so i am optimistic about its chances.

mreeter likes this.
  16. bizarrolarry

bizarrolarry Active Member

What happened to the Rogue Stereo 100?

17. avanti1960

sold, which I may eventually regret.

18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I've owned a Parasound A21 for near three years now, also own a Parasound JC3+ and a Parasound 2125 amp in my shop driving 2 channel there. Recently sold a P5.

Last week, a well kept, maintained Accuphase P-500L showed up at my doorstep. Similar specs wattage-wise to the A21 at 270W into 8 ohms. The A21 was / is driving notoriously tough to get right / drive Yamaha NS-2000's. I always felt like the A21 wasn't gripping the 13" woofers, etc in the 2000's and leaving some depth, sound on the table.... it was good but just not giving me that full, dynamic warmth I was searching for. A tad sterile at times, didn't have the drive / slam when required, and could be a tad shrill on the more intense parts of opera, particularly female voice.

Long story short, the P-500L filled in all those blanks. It's a 27 year old amp, but still it fills in the blanks nicely for all those aspects I was left wondering about with the A21.

I know, posting a non-appreciation post in a Parasound appreciation thread :)...... so sue me! Just being honest........ but don't get me wrong, the A21 is a wonderful power amp, it's just one of those things there is always something better, something that will integrate better in your system. In all fairness, my line stage is an Accuphase C-2410, so there is synergy.

What is interesting --- now, my Parasound JC3+ running through the Accuphase C-2410 --> P-500L signal path has *really* come alive. Suddenly, it rival and even in some cases exceeds the Accuphase C-27 phono pre in the same chain. So much for synergy always ruling the day.

The JC3+ --> C-2410 --> P-500L signal path on my vintage Pioneer PL-70Lii TT with a AT OC9iii cartridge is incredibly dynamic now...... it's addicting, I keep trying different LP's!

I still like Parasound for its value / cost proposition - from that perspective it's hard to beat - especially before they raised their prices with the "+" series releases. Used P5, A21, A23, etc are some of the best values going on the used market these days...

19. bizarrolarry

bizarrolarry Active Member

Why did you sell it??

20. avanti1960

it is an amazing sounding amp and i loved it, no problems or issues. i am just looking for more output and dynamics such that a 200 to 300 wpc solid state amp can provide.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. avanti1960

Good description of the a21 sound. Definitely could not control the larger woofers of the Harbeth 40.1 very well. I was also mystified why KEF used them to drive their speakers at audio shows, such a cold sterile sounding pairing.
    However with the right speakers (e.g. smaller woofer Harbeths) the a21 does deliver a smooth, well textured high quality sound that is engaging and dynamic to my ears at least.
    The new a21+ is significantly better according to reports and recently received Stereophile class A honors. We'll see.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

200 to 300 watts wow, haven't had an amp that big for years. I suppose it depends on the speakers. My 120watt Ayre drives my Amati's to perfection, the dynamics, bass resolution and impact are truly incredible.
    This is coming from a guy that bi-amped with the help from Mark Levinson.

23. avanti1960

makes the point that all watts are not equal, they are a rough guideline at best.
    before my stereo 100 i had a Cary 200.2 which was conservatively rated at 300 wpc at 4 ohms. i did not like the midrange forward voicing so much but the dynamics and deep bass extension with my speakers was amazing. i am hoping the new a21+ will do it all.

M.R.Collins and Tim 2 like this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Now that you mentioned 4ohms, I think most solid state amps are rated at 8ohms, something to consider as well.

25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Their big two channel amp is definitely on my dream amp list. Parasound was my gateway into this madness in 1985 so they have a special place in my heart. I have a very old integrated I still use Parasound CA 250

Monty12 likes this.