Has Amazon stopped allowing the 30second sampling of digital music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimM, Jul 26, 2020.

1. TimM

TimM Senior Member Thread Starter

In the last couple of days I have suddenly been unable to sample digital files on Amazon. I often used this feature as a way to see if I might be interested in new music. Is it gone or am I missing something?

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I haven't used it for a while so I don't know but try youtube, most of the time when I am planning to purchase I'll find albums there to sample, that is probably the reason I've stopped using amazon for that.

TimM likes this.
  3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Same experience here. I've been using it as a buying guide for a very long time.

4. TimM

That probably works fine, I have just always used this feature on Amazon to check out new releases and albums I thought might be interested in buying. It was quick and painless and it led to a lot of purchases. I can't figure out what the advantage is for them.

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If the list of song with the preview controls (play/pause etc) are still appearing on the page, but when you press Play nothing happens, it's probably a technical issue rather than them blocking/removing the feature.

latheofheaven, lv70smusic and TimM like this.
  6. TimM

Nope, those controls are gone. I suspect it's a planned thing.

7. Uglyversal

If you find out also ask them why they stopped shipping to Australia. There are several other retailers in the US and UK that seem to be more than happy picking up a lot of the international customers Amazon US and UK lost thanks to their decision. That sampling on my side was also converted in many sales but in my case youtube serves the same purpose and sometimes does it better.

TimM likes this.
  8. Uglyversal

I could be a glitch I remember having long ago a problem when one browser wouldn't work and another did.

Edit: YES! I am a glitch I admit it!

9. TimM

Maybe the whole thing is that they are going to move away from music selling since I'm sure they move fewer and fewer units every month. I would imagine it has become a very minor part of what they do.

John B Good and fretter like this.
  10. Nah, having CDs/vinyl on their site helps steer people to their streaming service.

RSteven, RunningWithScissors and TimM like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's gone, yes! now it looks like Spotify without the sampling?

TimM likes this.
  12. TimM

Good point.

RSteven likes this.
  13. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I still buy most of my physical music on Amazon, but for sampling I find iTunes a little easier to use. For me, Amazon’s sampling was a little slow at times.

Just checked... four MP3 albums I have on my Wish List don’t have sampling functioning any more.

shaboo, TimM and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

seems one has to join the club? The Unlimited Music Club...

JakeKlas and TimM like this.
  15. TimM

Yeah. You can still click on a file and buy it individually if you want, but you can't listen to it first. I do Spotify so I can root around there I guess.

16. TimM

I stopped using iTunes a long time ago, but maybe I'll have to reconsider.

Uglyversal and JakeKlas like this.
  17. TimM

I was wondering if that might be part of the plan. They offer me that great opportunity often.

latheofheaven and Uglyversal like this.
  18. Michael

I think so, if you join let us know if it's free?

19. Michael

how can Amazon expected one to buy an artist they cannot sample? Something is wrong as we discussed it may be a benefit, but as of now I do not want to pay to listen to a sampled song? who benefits with the removal of that great option?

20. Uglyversal

I think it might be free but only for 30 days, if it is as Prime once you want to cancel they will offer another 30 days free after that I don't know because I cancelled my Prime after the initial period, its not my thing, I've hardly used any of the benefits but it doesn't hurt to try.

TimM and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

Amazon sucks sometimes considering they are making billions during this Pandemic and now they have to take a simple click to sample an artist away? WTF? It was to their benefit to make it easy like it was for the consumer...click, sample, buy...no membership in prime or whatever this is! This is BullS...

22. TimM

That's what makes me grumpy. The reason I left Apple and iTunes years ago was when I felt that every time they "upgraded" the software they stripped away more and more features I liked. This feels like that. I understand you don't give me amazing new features, but why do you need to take away things that are already in place unless you are trying to force me to spend even more. I understand that Amazon like Apple desperately need more money.:rolleyes:

Eric_Generic, fretter and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

I cannot understand where they are coming from?...when is enough enough? ....did you also notice they raised the prices of their BD almost up to list price? Huh?

TimM likes this.
  24. TimM

I did notice that. I buy a lot of older music and movies and I have already decided I will try to move as many purchases as possible to used copies off of Ebay and Discogs, but I don't for a moment fool myself into thinking Amazon will be hurt if they loose a few hundred dollars a year from me.

25. Michael

and me. I stopped buying from them as well...can't afford Amazon currently...before the pandemic I was shopping in local shops and finding used, sealed, BDs for a bargain...some low as $1.00! haven't been out there in months so I have no idea what I missed? I have many still to watch so I'm good...hopefully this will go away and China does not SEND US ANOTHER Plague this is horrible.

The FRiNgE and TimM like this.