Has Amazon stopped allowing the 30second sampling of digital music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimM, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

IME most iTunes upgrades just change the default view. If one goes into the preferences and makes a few changes, it is easy to mimic the look of iTunes from like 15 years ago.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

That's a fairly old feature that might have been devised by different people, I wouldn't be surprised if some people have been moved around and now these decisions are being taken by a lot that are out of touch. They have P..... me O.. big time for other reasons and while probably they don't even notice a lot of my money that used to go to them now goes somewhere else.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there is always someone else that will shop there...they don't care...

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I know but for them is good way to start damaging their brand name. These things are like a disease, give it to too many of your customers and they will start spreading it to many more but I do recognize their sheer size keeps the ball rolling despite sheer stupidity.

TimM likes this.
  5. Michael

I think this subject will put many kinks in the chain...ppl want no non-sense 30 second sampling of the music they've never heard or heard before ...and not jumping thru hoops to get there.

TimM likes this.
  6. Michael

can someone get to the bottom of this as to what happened? Thanks.

latheofheaven and TimM like this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

There's a company that supplies the music samples used on other sites, and the host (seller) site pays a micro payment for each sample that is played. I do not know if big A used that same company or made their own samples, but probably big A did use that company. Perhaps there is a payment/contract problem at present. In the meantime at least two other sites still have music samples, which I believe are sourced from the same underlying outfit:

deepdiscount.com

importcds.com (which has domestic releases as well as imports)

There are many more sellers which have music samples, all with the same underlying company supplying the samples. I think anyone should patronize the sites that have what you want.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Especially as iTunes usually offers 90 instead of 30 seconds. 30 seconds may have been acceptable in the 90's, but not in 2020.

fretter and TimM like this.
  9. TimM

TimM Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks I'll check those out.

10. TimM

I think iTunes is still on our desktop computer which I seldom touch, and I even have an ancient MacBook Pro that still has a very old version that might work for browsing. I don't have any interest in downloading anything from them. I'll see how all this shakes out.

11. TimM

I plan on digging around a little. I would at least like to see if they are even willing to comment, or prefer to act like nothing happened.

Michael likes this.
  12. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Hmm
    Gone for me too. Very useful tool
    Must investigate logging in as a Prime member to sample

latheofheaven and TimM like this.
  13. Why not you?

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. TimM

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm betting it won't make any difference. I'll check.

Michael likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazon must be the world's biggest music retailer now even if it's a small part of their business. The samples going is probably down to them wanting to force you to use Amazon Music and joining Prime .

LilacTeardrop, Grant and TimM like this.
  16. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Which is funny. Because Rovi, the company that used to be the parent company of AllMusic, is one of the main sources to license those 30 second music samples from. That part of the business is now owned by Tivo. I think. It has gotten confusing to try to keep track of who and what owns or owned AllMusic over the years.

Don't know if Amazon is creating and managing and licensing those samples themselves, or is using a service like Tivo for the samples and the licensing.

Here's a story about the history of AllMusic
    The Story of AllMusic, the Internet’s Largest, Most Influential Music Database

MikeMusic and TimM like this.
  18. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

It’s not just samples that have been removed, but the option to add tracks that are Prime to your music player. This is / was a Prime perk to listen to full albums and tracks that were selected as Prime, which is different than their paid streaming service. “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark”.

19. Michael

why not you? > going to play this game?...LOL. GEEZ...

20. Michael

yes, I hope you get lucky...I was unable to get answers . : (...this sucks and is very weird.

TimM likes this.
  21. It's jsut strange that you're the one who wants to get to the bottom of this, but are asking others to do the work for you.

22. Michael

WHAT???? are you reading the same thread I am? I did not start this thread? WTF? please put me on your IGNORE list. I don't need the harassment...thanking you in advance.

Rooster_Ties and latheofheaven like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Amazon has had a ha*d-on for being the folks "delivering" us music for years...probably since they realized, just being a "bookseller" wasn't what was going to make it for them.

First they unveil one service, then they push the service to the customer, then they offer a freebie "trial" for it (as in, "once you forget you've got it and the trial expires, we get to start sneaking it out of your credit card").

And then they unveil another *premium" service - same thing, only now with a fresh, lemon scent. Then they push the service to the customer, then they offer a freebie "trial" for it. Then they remind you about it as a "benefit".

And then they unveil another *premium* service, that they will deliver right to your Echo Dot, or whatever. Then they push the service to the customer, then they offer a freebie "trial" for it. Then they remind you about it as a "benefit". Then they start sending e-mails about it to music customers, with an extra free deal if you've bought an album, or something.

And then they unveil yet still also in addition to as well as...yet another version of the same damn service, not only with fresh lemon scent, but pumpkin flavor in the Fall. Then they push the service to the customer, offer a freebie "trial" for it, remind you about it as a "benefit", and start sending e-mails to music customers, with an extra free deal if you've bought an album or something. And, THEN, no matter what you ask Alexa to play you, she "reminds" you, you have an option to get the service on your Echo Dot or whatever right now!, just say the word, and you say, "Alexa, go eff yourself".

And then they unveil another *premium* service...

Tullman, Spla'nin and TimM like this.
  24. TimM

I started the thread and I have poked around on Amazon, but outside of finding other people unhappy like myself I haven't figured out how to ask Amazon a simple question. I don't think they want to engage in this kind of stuff. I'll keep trying.

25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yep, that seems to be the case. Stupidity multiplied by greed. Not joining any clubs on top of my Prime fees, which have also nearly doubled over the last few years.

TimM and Michael like this.