MoFi MFSL Vanilla Fudge 45 RPM Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MisterBritt, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member Thread Starter

The Mobile Fidelity 45 RPM Vanilla Fudge vinyl is a reality. This thread shall be dedicated to it. I believe I am the first to review (if not receive) a copy. Mine is serial number #483, which arrived save and sound by Fed Ex earlier this afternoon.

I grew up with this album, as my older brother, with whom we shared records, secured a copy when it was released circa 1967. More recently, I purchased the Sundazed 33 1/3 and was not impressed. We understand there is also a white vinyl "Summer of Love" Rhino reissue but we have not heard it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both vinyl are getting an ultrasonic treatment as the McIntosh vacuum tube system is warming up. The preamp selector has been placed in the MONO mode. Let's see what happens.

Sides One and Two:

The vinyl is dead quiet. The first moments were jaw-dropping in their clarity, compared perhaps to the matching moment on Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends album (band 5, "Voices of Old People") from this important psychedelic period. Same idea. I wouldn't know who did it first but the effect is startling.

As Side One closes, we will reiterate the vinyl is as quiet as anything we have experienced. We held it against the sunlight to confirm it is not the SuperVinyl formula. It is not. It might as well be.

It was observed in the companion SACD thread that the bass was great but not overwhelmingly full. My observation is, in a word, plenary. I am totally satisfied. The 15" Tannoy Canterbury SE's are opening up nicely.

There are several sections with massed vocals, a choral effect. I was concerned about this, as my Sundazed fell short in their rendering. Alas, the Vanilla Fudge vocals are as fine as, say, the massed vocals on MoFi's Alan Parsons Project I Robot 45 RPM. In a word, splendid. In another word, beatific. Glorious comes to mind.

Side Two continues with "She's Not There." Ass with the first side, the vocals are strong, clear, and centered -- everything one could hope for. Overall, there is headroom aplenty. My dedicated phono preamp needles are dancing freely, as well they should.

It was noted on the companion SACD thread that the drums were buried in the mix, although that could well have been in reference to another Vanilla Fudge album. The drums are clear, well-balanced, and well-presented here. I was curious to compare the sound of Carmine Appice's drums to John Bonham's.

If we recall, it was Appice who suggested the big blond maple Ludwig drums to Bonham. (We might have that backward.) At any rate, the drums sound great. We'll skip any comparison at this time. But it's something listeners might put an ear to if that sort of thing is interesting.

"Bang Bang" is killing it. The vocals are truly splendid.

Sides Three and Four:

Sides Three and Four are equal to everything that has come before. "Illusions of my Childhood" is faded over the two sides. It works wonderfully, in my opinion. Some consternation was expressed on the MoFi Marvin Gaye One Step. I don't think it's problematic here at all.

The B3 organ really shines on this album. Indeed, perhaps for its inclusion, the album has a "gothic" vibe to it. It is startling on the tune "Elenor Rigby." Wow!

In conclusion, Wow! seems to say it all for me. My expectations are wildly exceeded. (Let us note this reviewer tends to be enthusiastic in my notes. If I don't have something nice to say, I tend to say nothing.) But I certainly don't see how my opinion of this masterpiece can change.

Again, Wow! Just Wow!

grx8, aoxomoxoa, JazzFanatic and 18 others like this.
  2. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Love their cover of “You Keep Me Hanging On”

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Very glad to hear this review. Placed an order with Music Direct just moments ago. :thumbsup:

Joti Cover, Cervelo and MisterBritt like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is the one recommended to me when I complained that the bottom end was anemic on the mono Sundazed, and it delivered exactly what I remembered hearing in the back seat of the family car in 1967.
    I'd love to read of someone comparing it to this MFSL version.

abescan and MisterBritt like this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

A fine review. Thanks for the effort you put in!

This home run sounds like it will find another home soon!

Joti Cover and MisterBritt like this.
  6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Keeping my fingers crossed that my copy finds its way to me SOON. Thanks for the great detail in your review.

Joti Cover and MisterBritt like this.
  7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Thanks for the review. It is encouraging me to get it. I got the Sundazed and thought it was decent.

One thing - I don't know if, when you say the vinyl is super quiet whether you mean that there's a lack of tics, pops, etc. Many erroneously think that the Super Vinyl and SRX vinyl compounds are supposed to be devoid of those annoyances. Not the case.

Their purpose is to render a deeper, blacker background from which the music arises. It's great that you got quiet copy. But supervinyl is supposed to be like the difference between a dead black canvas and one that's slightly greyed. Having a canvas that is devoid of flecks of dust or dirt might be the equivalent analogy to tics and pops. It's great not to have them on an LP, but a deeper black background allows a cutting engineer to cut the record lower, allowing for greater micro- and macro-dynamics.

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Thanks for posting this and costing me another $50 :)

After reading this, I had to go out and grab it. Never had a MoFi numbered record. Site mentions that the first 3,000 are numbered. Anyway for me to know ahead of receiving it that I will be getting a numbered copy?

Joti Cover, hi_watt and MisterBritt like this.
  9. Myke

Yes, because you have misunderstood. They're only pressing 3,000, therefore all will be numbered. That's how MFSL does it. Enjoy !

From Music Direct : " Limited to 3,000 Numbered Copies "

Leonthepro and MisterBritt like this.
  10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I'm curious to know how many people that own the white vinyl mono (Rhino) are going to get the 45 rpm Mofi? I'm liking the white Rhino myself. :D

abescan likes this.
  11. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Got it!! Thanks. Not the first time I misunderstood something that should have been fairly straightforward.

12. Myke

You're welcome. This is how you learn. Also, you're about to see how a vinyl seller that cares packages their records for shipment ( not like the Amazon posts you've recently made ).

ArpMoog, MisterBritt and Spencer R like this.
  13. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

LOL.... yep I believe that. I have ordered from Analogue Productions and was very impressed with their packaging. However, this will be my first MoFi.... looking forward to it.

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

Just found out my postal clerk is into records, but trusts no one for online delivery, so he chases what he wants throughout a 50 mile radius of home. While I'm all for supporting local business, a little education never hurts either.
    I wrote him out a list before I left, so he can see for himself he has options.

Bull Moose ( never a damaged item since 2007 for me !!! )
    Acoustic Sounds
    Music Direct
    Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs ( no sales tax + delivery by Fed Ex only )
    Amoeba ( uses Whiplash mailers but presently offline )

abescan, hi_watt and imthetxman like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Music Direct packages their records well and ships them quickly. Can’t complain about any aspect of their service.

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The only beef I have with MD is whenever they have a sale, whatever I want to order is waiting for repress, sale does not apply to specific item or it's no longer available.

Spencer R likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I bought a bunch of the MoFi Bob Dylan and Carly Simon SACDs at between $14.99 and $19.99. Worked for me.

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

:cheers:

19. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

I've been happy with my Rhino white vinyl but after listening to the SACD, I may have to change my mind about that. The SACD is very good in case you were wondering and sounds better than the Rhino vinyl IMHO.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The last two records I bought that were pressed at RTI were IR Joan Armatrading and MFSL Train. Both records were pristine just like you describe.

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

(cough) Giant Leech Enterprises (rectangular mailers used exclusively.)

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

A different perspective was given earlier in one of these threads and the white Rhino was preferred to the Mofi SACD, this might become a controversial subject.

abescan likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Amazon delivered a record today and made the effort to place the box at the back door in the shade. Nice. Of course the P.O threw another package on the front steps in the direct sun on a 95 degree day.

Joti Cover, imthetxman and Myke like this.
  24. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Different set ups and different ears result in different opinions and that was all I offered. Other’s listening experience may vary.

Lesbeat, Myke and abescan like this.
  25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.