What Are Your Top Five Christmas Albums From The Golden Age (1950's to the 1960's) ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RSteven, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident Thread Starter

The boss got back to me quickly on this one, "Yes, we will be making more Ormandy."

[​IMG]

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Awesome!

RSteven likes this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The 1971 budget reissue is the one you're talking about.

[​IMG]

RSteven and Pants Party like this.
  4. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Was this the second album cover for the 1964 Jack Jones Christmas Album?

[​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  5. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

I loved this thread last year and was thrilled to see it pop up today! I need to head to eBay and see if there are any bargains this time of year. Or maybe pull out a couple of favorites and play them tonight. Considering the current climate, who knows if I’ll be around at the holidays? ‍♂️

RSteven likes this.
  6. RSteven

Yes indeed, that is the second album cover. They did a pretty decent job in my opinion, but there is just something so charming and nostalgic about that Christmas tree cover artwork on the first version of the album. The music inside is pretty darn awesome too!

dualstacker likes this.
  7. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

It's not Christmas unless Burl Ives is spinning!

8. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

The 1964 Kapp Jack Jones Christmas Album is a favorite of mine. The 1969 RCA A Jack Jones Christmas has its moments, too. But, what I would love to see is a Real Gone Music compilation, a comprehensive Jack Jones Christmas Music Collection with new liner notes and comments from Jack Jones himself. I noticed that the 1964 Jack Jones Christmas Album is sold out with Real Gone Music, so somebody is buying it! I'd bet the same people and even more would buy a reasonably-priced new Christmas compilation by Jack Jones.

PhantomStranger and RSteven like this.
  9. RSteven

I like his Jack's second holiday album as well. While overall it might not be considered as strong as his very first one with Kapp, I think there are a few sublime performances. His version of O Holy Night is one of the best versions I've ever heard of that beauty. I think you have a stellar idea about Jack being involved with the line notes as well.

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That RCA Jack Jones has been available for download (in both high and low resolution) for some time now so I don't think Real Gone would venture on releasing it again unless they had a bunch of bonus tracks or other exclusive content to add.

11. RSteven

The RCA A Jack Jones Christmas album can be found on CD by private sellers as well, but it is not currently in print. I think the real obstacles to a reissue of this album is the hideous original album cover artwork in 1969 as well as the fact that the major labels are not as cooperative as they use to be in past years. The best plan would be as @Pierino says to include a brand new compilation with both of his albums, but the problem would be the cross label nature of the project. Jack's first and best album, The Jack Jones Christmas Album, was under the original Kapp Records label, which is now controlled by Universal Music; His second holiday album was the RCA one, which is under Sony Music's domain. Trying to get those two giants to agree to a crossover copyright release would be a Herculean task to say the least. Now take a look at the worlds most ugly Christmas album cover:

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  12. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Any chance on reprinting The Jack Jones Christmas Album too?

13. RSteven

I believe that Real Gone Music would need to renegotiate a new copyright release as the old agreement has more than likely run its course. It does happen from time to time as Gordon Anderson did with Mantovani's fantastic Christmas Carols CD, which was originally copyrighted under his old label, Collector's Choice, and then renegotiated for his current label, Real Gone Music.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Pants Party likes this.
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The cover for its budget reissue on Camden is actually quite creepy.

[​IMG]

The Laserlight CD release has a much nicer cover but uses a photo from 4 or 5 years too early.

[​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  15. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

I bought a copy last year from Discogs. Gotta say, although Christmas it is not, I do like the design...it is certainly of its time. And I really enjoyed the music, too.

RSteven likes this.
  16. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

There are a significant number of potential bonus tracks floating around that could be included on a Complete Jack Jones Christmas Collection. Finding master tapes and obtaining the licensing would obviously be a tough task. This is a list of some of them:

The United States Air Force Presents Christmas Programs (Released 1966?, featuring The Air Force Band)
    - Mistletoe And Holly (Theme)
    - My Favorite Things
    - Sleigh Ride
    - Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
    - Lullaby For Christmas Eve
    - March Of The Toys
    - The Christmas Waltz
    - I'll Be Home For Christmas
    - The Christmas Song

Firestone Presents Your Favorite Christmas Music - Volume 6 (1967, RCA Victor)
    - O Little Town Of Bethlehem - Jack Jones
    - Hark The Herald Angels Sing - Roberta Peters, Jack Jones, and Chorus
    - This Is That Time Of The Year - Jack Jones And Chorus
    - Medley: Christmas Is Coming (Reprise)/We Wish You A Merry Christmas - Ensemble Including Jack Jones

Radio Shack Special Collector's Edition (1968, RCA)
    - Joy To The World

Miscellaneous Tracks
    - O Come All Ye Faithful (released in 1991)
    - O Holy Night (released in 1991, different than the 1969 version)
    - White Christmas (released in 1994, different than the 1964 version)

As RSteven pointed out, the album cover for the 1969 A Jack Jones Christmas would be a liability, but that could be addressed as well. For some of their "complete Christmas collections", Real Gone Music has gone with alternate front cover photos. These could be found with the Robert Goulet, Ray Conniff, Andy Williams, Eddy Arnold, Glen Campbell, Jim Nabors, Perry Como, and others.

17. RSteven

Oh, I totally understand as I love some of the cheesy artwork from this time period and I think you have to try to stay with the original artwork, no matter how hokey and awful it seems. And most importantly as you point out, the music is pretty darn great as well. Jack Jones and John Gary are two of the greatest and most unheralded singers in popular music history and they both made two of my top ten Christmas albums of all time. Jack's second album album is only marred by a couple of sacred songs that for me are quite pretty, but kind of take you away from the Christmas atmosphere. Now I love gospel and sacred music, but a couple of the song choices Jack or his producer made for this album seem a little incongruous.

18. RSteven

I just looked at the tracklist for Jack's second holiday album again, and I guess the only song that really throws me a little and seems totally out of place is Oh, Happy Day. I really like his version, but it just seems too contemporary and out of place on this Christmas album. That's my two cents anyways. I still love this album, despite having a flaw or two on it.

ChrisInKansas likes this.
  19. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up on this one! I listened to the first ~10 minutes on YouTube, and I was very much impressed. I'll definitely be looking for a copy.

RSteven likes this.
  20. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

I'm so happy to see the interest here in Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records' Eugene Ormandy CD as well as in Jack Jones! (And thanks, Pierino. I worked on almost every one of those complete Christmas collections you mentioned, and they're still among the releases of which I'm most proud.) Ever since our 2016 reissue of Jack's Kapp Christmas album (well, actually before then!) we've had our eye on its RCA counterpart (and indeed, on Jack's RCA catalog). Rest assured that it's still on our radar. :) - Joe

21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Actually an under the radar all-star group headed by drummer Peter Erskine(Maynard Ferguson,Weather Report,and lots of music as a leader) and some studio folk deserving wider recognition. I started a thread years ago after stumbling upon this for fifty cents. Group called themselves the Lounge Art Ensemble and may have appeared in person every now & then. No one here wanted to discuss,save a "new member" who made one idea in the thread and was never heard from again.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Dawg In Control

Dawg In Control Forum Resident

I've never had any luck trying to track down who the musicians actually were. The cd and musicianship is outstanding jazz/Christmas fare.

There is another "Jazz For A Winter's Eve" available on Amazon which is a completely different cd that supposedly Shell sent out. It is not the one I have; different track list.

RSteven likes this.
  23. RSteven

I always look forward to your great liner notes, Joe. The Eugene Ormandy CD looks and sounds phenomenal. Mike Piacentini did such a great job on the remastering for the whole collection. He worked on my John Klein CD project which were directly remastered from the original master tapes that Sony Music's archival team found in Iron Mountain, so I am very familiar with his great skills and talent. I sure hope you are successful in your quest to get some of Jack Jones' RCA albums reissued in the future.

24. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

Thanks, RSteven. Likewise, both the Klein and Slatkin collections are wonderful additions to any Christmas shelf. And I second that (e)motion...Mike, like his colleagues at Battery, is a terrific engineer. It's always a pleasure to work with him.

RSteven likes this.
  25. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

This Jack Jones' Christmas song, "This Is That Time Of The Year", is taken from Firestone Presents Your Favorite Christmas Music - Volume 6, released in 1967:

PhantomStranger and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.