MoFi MFSL Vanilla Fudge 45 RPM Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MisterBritt, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Is the white Rhino still available? I'm game to have a nice 33 1/3 single LP press of this to go with my (incoming) dbl. 45 and SACD.

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Got mine on Discogs last week for $20.00 sealed. :agree:

Myke, MisterBritt and giantleech like this.
  3. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have the Rhino white vinyl which I think sounds great but I still ordered the SACD and the 45RPM LP. As good as the Rhino LP sounds, I thought the SACD took it up another notch or two. My Mo-Fi LP is listed as "Delivery Pending". Since it's been sent to my previous address (I forgot to notify Music Direct), my next door neighbor at the old place is watching for the delivery.

Leonthepro, MisterBritt and John D. like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

If the SACD would ever get here ( 4 days in transit from L.A., 5 days in customs, 19 days since I ordered from the UK ), I expect to be done buying this title, though 4 times in 52 years really isn't bad.

MisterBritt likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Wow this MOFI sounds absolutely stunning. Killer music and amazing sound.

6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

The neighbor next door to my old house grabbed my copy from the front porch and I went over to pick it up this afternoon. I brought her a bottle of wine as a thank you for keeping watch. Now, all I need to do is set up my system after the move. Not sure how soon I'll get to that but at least I've finally got the LP.

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

What Sundazed mastering did you have? Kevin Gray?

8. Leonthepro

Any way for EU buyers to get it?

9. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member Thread Starter

The deadwax on the Sundazed seems to read: J NRP. LP 5168-A / LP 5168-B RE - 2 or (Z)

10. Leonthepro

mm, I wonder how Gray remaster compares.

11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Did Kevin Gray ever remaster this album? That's something I'm not aware of. The excellent white vinyl Rhino LP was done by Ian Sefchick.

12. Leonthepro

He did a Sundazed cut. Hard to find, not on discogs currently.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I should have known you would have the great taste and like this record. Ordering my copy asap, one of my all time favorite Rock albums. Got it when it first came out and it has aged ever so well! Only version I have now is the White vinyl mono version from 2017. It sounds pretty good, but I'm sure as you have noted, this new MoFi 45 is a must have if a fan of this record!

Awesome post by the way! Any idea who mastered this?

14. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member Thread Starter

The only info like that: one side seems to read "milli@MoFi" and the other reads something like "bedhi" in the dead wax. Discogs doesn't indicate. I don't know, but they killed it.

scotti likes this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Great review @MisterBritt , made me want to buy it without ever hearing it or knowing the music at all. I have seen the band name previously. Now, against @scotti advice, I'm going to sample all the way through, even on my Beats headphones :)hide: :laugh:) on my evening walk as the sun sets.

My jazz exploration has been a three month endeavor and I have dug pretty deep considering my starting point. Some fatigue has sat in though. This week I've noticed some of my interests naturally drifting back to other music while still playing a hand in jazz.

MisterBritt and Crazysteve like this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Most of the early Sundazed cut at NRP are almost uniformly underwhelming and "flat" sounding. I remember I thought their version of Blonde on Blonde was pretty plain sounding back in 2010.

In the last few year's KG has started mastering and they are pressed at RTI and a much better overall product. Some may be all analog but I suspect most are cut from high res masters. I have enjoyed their Leonard Cohen reissues.

ellingtonic and MisterBritt like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Shame on you (ha!)...while you are sampling try and imagine what the music could really sound like. Let us know what you think...

MisterBritt and mikemoon like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The Rhino white mono from 2017 actually sounds really good. I went through at least 10 used originals trying to find a good copy and all were full of surface noise. I gave up, but who the heck cares.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I will certainly do that. My imagination runs free! I'm excited about a new discovery. This title, the One Step BOTT and Cohen Live at Isle Wight might be on upcoming order. My August budget.

scotti likes this.
  20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

This title, along with the Iron Butterfly title, we’re on my turntable all the time 50 years years ago. I can’t justify the cost of these releases because I would play them each one time and they would sit on the shelf after there.
    Both albums now sound terribly dated to me.

21. Leonthepro

Let us know how these compare then.

scotti likes this.
  22. Myke

MisterBritt likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Ah there it is, already in wantlist so I must have missed it before.

Hate that you cant differentiate the new cuts from the old just through the sleeve. Becomes a gamble to order one.

24. Myke

It can always be a roll of the dice.
    Last year I ordered the Bernie Grundman cut of Hotel California from Acoustic Sounds.
    When I opened the bomb-proof packaging, I could tell immediately by the hype sticker it was the Kevin Gray.
    I emailed AS and told them, and they were shocked, as their records showed the last KG going out the door several months before. I kept it, and ordered the BG again. As it's a favorite album, I wanted to compare both of them against the DCC.

Leonthepro likes this.
  25. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

I'm waaayyy out in west TX with very few (3) local vinyl sellers. I visit them quite frequently but they rarely have anything I'm looking for. I've tried leaving a "want-list" with the shop down the street, but never heard anything back. I too,
    Hi all- Just received my copy. Can’t wait to listen. I got s/n 384. Lower than the OPs copy. They must pull these from their inventory randomly??

Dignan2000 and MisterBritt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.