So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I wouldn't want a CD player in my car. I rip/stream at home - and also do vinyl - but in the car, very happy not to have to lug anything around aside from my phone. I can use Tidal/Qobuz app over Bluetooth and that is beyond fine for me. Car also supports Spotify Premium natively, but I don't currently have a sub. Might have to try that out when I start commuting again.

But I love the ability to pretty much play anything I want on a whim in the car, without having to think too much about it. I don't look back fondly on the days of lugging tapes or CDs in the car, or even an iPod through an AUX, frankly.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I play anything I want on a whim in the car. CD's burnt to HD.:cheers:

TimM likes this.
  3. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

My daughter's 2012 Buick Lacrosse has both a DVD-Audio player AND an internal hard drive, to which I never figured out how to add music.

PhilBiker and fretter like this.
  4. shokhead

PhilBiker and mtrot like this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

At a car dealership negotiation is part of the game. CD players or otherwise.

But I would still love to be a fly on a wall with this conversation. He/she would probably have no idea what to even say other than "OK, we'll take off $300 for that".

Mazzy, Billy Infinity and TimM like this.
  6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

good luck with all that

7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I've got an aftermarket player in my car but have never actually put a disc in as far as I can remember, probably at least 10 years, since it has bluetooth.

jerico likes this.
  8. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Acura ILX still has a CD player…

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Every time they put this up...they find me walking across town to their competitor. Is that worth it? At the very least, they know it means enough to their (former) customers enough, that it gets upstairs to their district sales department.

The fact that others are too much wimps to spell it out for them, is no concern of my own. My dollar goes where I want it to. I can't be responsible for your own poor instincts.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The problem is when these dealers have no option for you, other than chopping off a few bucks for your trouble.

Eventually this will be like asking for a cassette deck in your new car.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Did you feel the same way when you couldn’t get a cassette deck ? :tiphat:

12. Dillydipper

Like I said about a million posts ago in this thread, the cassette was ubiquitous as a musical medium, it didn't cost a hundred-plus dollars for the player (phone), as well as a monthly charge for the service. And, if you couldn't get a cassette deck to play your 7.99 cassette, your CD player would play your 14.99 CD...without insisting you pay a service fee for something that was not a component of the car itself, or the play mechanism.

The CD was the same way as the cassette: the same medium you had in your house, in your Walkman, in your computer...was the same medium you could play in your car. The difference of course, is the dealership didn't expect you to have a hundred+-dollars + service fee to bring a cassette or a CD into your car to play. Insisting this is "okay" on the basis that most people own their portable phone medium, has nothing whatsoever to do with the extra added convenience of being able of using that same instrument (which is not required of citizens), just to have something to play your music on.

Has a dealership ever insisted you have to have a pair of Converse, Nikes or Laboutins on your feet in order to press the pedal down? No? Then I guess, "requiring" a hundred+-dollar-plus-monthly-service-fee for the "convenience" of getting your music out of the same instrument only the spendworthy can afford, is a change in both policy, and a new way to discriminate against those who can afford a car, but can't afford a phone they don't need to drive with. It's absolutely restrictive, and discriminating.

Dok likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

There is no comparison with the difference between the change between the cassette deck and CD player, as I spelled out above. As for chopping off "a few bucks for your trouble", that's a helluva lot of bucks they assume you are willing to spend in the first place. And with that conceit, therein lies the issue.

14. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Somebody invent a portable usb/bluetooth cd player? Until then, I'm going to try and keep my current vehicle with its in-dash 5-cd changer.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not yet, but it's only a matter of time.
    And a few hundred off to get around your issue is going to be a very small number if we're talking about a 20k+ vehicle.

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

100 bucks a month service fee for music? I must have missed a post, where did that number come from - for a phone plan?

Just use a DAP with BT capability.

Billy Infinity and weekendtoy like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Pay attention, sparky. I was representing the cost of a phone as $100+. The phone plan itself, is on top of that.

What do you pay for an iPhone? And...why? And...what does that have to do with "necessary equipment" to get music in the car? A CD just costs 15 bucks. Before that, a cassette used to coat 8 bucks. And NO cost for a phone, NO monthly service plan. Do you finally get the point, sparky? Or is the money just leakin' out of your wallet so fast, it just doesn't matter to you?

18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sorry, I’m not sure who this was in reply to - I didn’t see @Sparky participate in this thread. Anyhow, here’s a digital playback device that will cost you less than one of your $8 cassettes. I’m sure the dealer would be more than glad to reimburse you for the expense incurred by this additional hardware requirement.

19. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I actually use a DAP (Not that one) instead of my phone in my newer vehicle that doesn't have a CD player, but even that will become an issue since vehicles are beginning to eliminate the Aux port and force me to all Bluetooth. That makes me grumpy.

weekendtoy and MrRom92 like this.
  20. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If I can afford a monthly car payment, I can afford spending a hundred bucks on an iPhone 6 and $35 on a monthly plan that also gives me unlimited text and data and means I can do my job from literally anywhere. If $35 a month will break you, you shouldn't be buying a new car.

sublemon, Gaslight and weekendtoy like this.
  21. shokhead

No, not really.

22. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I just bought a new vehicle without an aux. in. I have a Fiio X3 that I've used in previous vehicles with an aux. in to play my CD collection. My options include:

- Upgrade my DAP to a Bluetooth capable model. This a good option for me as my current FiiO is having issues after being used and abused for many years. Most expensive option at $200 - $300., but the DAP gets used a lot beyond the car.

- Copy my collection from my music server to USB sticks to play in the car. Maybe $100.

- Buy a Bluetooth transmitter with an aux. in. Least expense at $30

TimM likes this.
  23. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

My Audi has the one slot as well. Plays Dvd on the screen when stopped. Never used it, but handy I suppose

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. shokhead

And plays the audio when you are moving.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I know this day is coming, and understand that time marches on, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I know Bluetooth rules the world. but not really when it comes to audio. There is an obvious difference that even my wife noticed when my Phone is played via Bluetooth and the Aux port. I at least understand that there is a little money involved with a CD player, but how much would it cost to allow the Aux connector to stay? Sound quality is not an afterthought to every customer, not even in a car. I would like as many options as possible, not fewer and fewer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.