Remasters that dramatically improved on the original Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by djnathan7, Jul 28, 2020.

1. djnathan7

djnathan7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which remasters do you think were a major or even minor improvement over the original CD/LP releases. For me personally I feel the Joshua Tree Remaster from 2007 is a big improvement over the original CD release which feels lacking. The Stone Roses 2009 remaster was also an improvement over the original I feel as the Bass can finally be properly heard and not drowned out like on the original mix. Radiohead's OK Computer 20th Anniversary is also an improvement over the original CD I feel but I assume the LP would destroy both as it would have less compression. I also feel the 2011 remaster of the Stranger by Billy Joel is a slight improvement over the original CD I have which sounds flat while the newer remaster has a better EQ and sounds more pumped it(which some may or may not like).

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I've never heard the CD. But the original Parlophone LP is much better than the OKNOTOK LP release.

I would guess we're not including audiophile labels. So here something off the top of my head.
    Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (Bicycle Remaster)
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication (Chris Bellman mastering.
    Tool - Lateralus (Chris Bellman mastering) still wish it weren't a picture disc.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Honestly, this thread won't get much love around here because of the continued practice of the use or overuse of compression/limiting and EQ.

mikmcmee, limoges, COBill and 17 others like this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

- The recent remaster of 1999 by Prince, very well done and gives the album some much needed low end and overall fuller sound while still retaining its dynamic punch and impact

- The recent SHM-CD releases of Elton John's early albums

- Rush's catalogue was remastered by Sean Magee for hi-res and vinyl releases and overall are just very excellent and dynamic sounding remasters

- The 2015 HDTracks releases (the more dynamic ones) of the DLR Van Halen albums

- This one will be controversial but the recent Davis remasterings of the Zeppelin catalogue (Houses of the Holy is the only one I prefer the original Diament CD for)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  5. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

R.E.M - Murmur 25th anniversary edition that came out in 2008 absolutely blew the original CD away,gave it way more depth to the sound.

6. milco

milco Forum Resident

I love the 2009 Fred Kevorkian remasters of the Gentle Giant catalogue. They are nicely balanced in terms of EQ, crystal clear and punchy without being too compressed. They really bring those old recordings back to life!

7. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

Amen on that Stone Roses remaster. I remember playing the 1989 CD in 2007, a long time since I’d last heard it and I was all “good lord... has this album always sounded so bad?”

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For a non audiophile label remaster, I can only think of one I prefer.
    Curve-Doppelganger, 1992 (2017)

ganma, Beamish13, iainoco and 3 others like this.
  9. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

I really enjoy the remastered Chess 50th Anniversary CD releases that started being released in the late nineties.
    It was especially great to hear the Sonny Boy Williamson tracks without that top end distortion present since they went back to the master tape instead of using the lp master.
    Since all the Chess masters were destroyed in the 2008 Universal MG storage facility it is fortunate the project was done before that tragedy.

10. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I can't think of any.

11. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

The Fall - Bend Sinister - blew the 1986 CD out of the water, into orbit and bounced it off Saturn's rings. Also an improvement on the 1986 vinyl but I don't know how the 2019 vinyl sounds.

All of the Fall's original Beggars Banquet CDs were a wee bit underwhelming but all the upgrades have seen to that - the Omnibus edition of "The Wonderful And Frightening World..." is particularly impressive and probably the best that album has sounded.

12. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

The 10th anniversary deluxe cd edition of White Lies debut album To Lose My Life contains a very noticeably more dynamic mastering over the 2009 cd. I like it a lot better.

13. nightchapel

nightchapel Forum Resident

More of a remix + remaster, but I prefer The Who's "Sellout" from '95 to the original. I have some bias, as my first introduction to the album was through the '95 release. I obsessed over it, and must have listened to it 100 times or more. When I got into audiophile analog in the early '00s, I found a great 1st pressing UK stereo but didn't like it nearly as much as the '95 mix. Same goes for "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia".

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet 2002 SACD

dom91932, crlong, sjaca and 40 others like this.
  15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

How are you newer remasters from the Unburied Treasure box set? Have you heard them?

Plan9 likes this.
  16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I'm not an audiophile, nor do I have an expensive set up, but I found the Blue Oyster Cult remasters of the first three albums to sound much better than the vinyl. Same with All The Young Dudes.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

1971 "Ram" album-Paul & Linda McCartney -2012 reissue.

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Raspberries - 2016

All the previous CDs of the first album are from an EQed and compressed master. This new one has a completely different feel - less like it’s being broadcast over FM.

Even the opener benefits from the less processed sound (like it needed any more!):

I can’t remember (!) if the LP has the processing but I think this may be the first time the unprocessed tape has been used for the album?

The other albums sound basically the same as the earlier editions in terms of processing but with better fidelity (sourced from masters instead of flat dubs perhaps).

The only caveat is that the tapes used have some problems not evident on previous editions -particulary on the last album.

The image is moving around on some tracks:

ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT

Sticky-shed issue? The image is solid on previous editions.

Also, for the CD edition of Starting Over they have edited out the snippet of “Go All The Way” on the end of “Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)” - especially frustrating since it’s intact on the YouTube upload!

OVERNIGHT SENSATION (Hit Record)

iggyd likes this.
  19. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I agree with the 2007 release of The Joshua Tree, along with the rest of the U2 remasters. They did a great job of cleaning everything up without adding in tons of compression. I also think the 2011 box set for The Smiths remasters blow the original CDs out of the water.

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Donovan - Mellow Yellow (2005)

An unprocessed presentation unlike all previous editions I've heard - a layer of EQ and compression is gone.

Presumably they found the original unprocessed mono master mixes and used those, perhaps for the first time? I've not heard the original LPs but my guess is they have the extra processing too.

"Museum" runs slightly slower on the 2005 remaster - it seems to be correct (C major) whereas on previous editions it's running slightly faster (no man's land somewhere between C and C♯).

2005 mastering:

21. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

All the Beatles 2009 remasters saw a dramatic improvement on the 1987 CD's!

Swansong, Chuckee, crispi and 30 others like this.
  22. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

The vinyl remaster version that came out as a 2LP set was magnificent!!!!!

octophone likes this.
  23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

What's the bicycle remaster? The original CD mastered by Barry Diament is great.

joshm2286 and c-eling like this.
  24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Way too compressed IMO.

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Here’s the unrestricted upload of the 2005 mastering of "Museum" that I meant to post!