New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Perhaps it is this tendency of getting everything in HD that destroys the essence/soul/core of the music. That is my understanding of what you describe as too analytical. So over remastering/remixing can end up in disappointment from a listener perspective.

I listen to a lot of classical music and can tell you that I seldom complain about the recording quality. Yes, there was some engineering limitations in the last century but they do not prevent the listener from enjoying stellar performance.

zinan and c-eling like this.
  2. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

:hide:

Don't know why, I thought you were talking about the 25th of the Division Bell.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Norco was giving a nod to Rich's suggestion for Bill on Dark, think I got that right :laugh:

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

So you can wait until boxing day, Doug Sax cut of the Division Bell is excellent. Should not run out anytime soon.

5. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

I already have the two last vinyls (the 20th and the reissue). I just need the 25th anniversary blue edition. :)

6. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Regarding the Wish You Were Here reissues, I apologize if this was discussed earlier in the thread, but does anybody have any strong opinions on which recent reissue is better between the 2016 Bernie Grundman and the 2011 Doug Sax one? I bought the US reissue around 2016 only recently to find out that it's actually just a repressing of the 2011 Doug Sax remaster. Is the UK true Bernie Grundman better, different, inferior? Probably my favorite Floyd album, so hoping to get a great newer pressing without spending an arm and a leg. Keeping an eye out for good condition OPs, just curious as to the sonic differences between these two reissues.

Cheers,

7. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm in the UK. I have both and did play both fairly recently. I found very little difference between the two. In a blind test I might be hard pushed to tell which is which.

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

There are some major differences here, regarding classical v rock music.

1) Classical discs are recorded live performances (as you say), i.e. not ‘assembled‘, studio-recorded tracks as with rock music that don’t seek to replicate a ‘live’ situation. Using a recording studio as a tape recorder, with all the players in one room at the same time (mostly), is very different from using a studio as part of the composition process.

2) Classical recording is usually good, as it is only the performance that you’re hearing (save for some mixing of the parts). If anything it’s
    more analytical.

3) The same with the mastering, which, as with jazz music, hasn’t suffered from the loudness wars.

paulisdead likes this.
  9. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Just to add to this:

Classical and Jazz audiences are different to those of Popular music, so there isn't the same demand or market pressures to master those recordings as hot. But as @Solace pointed out; Classical and Jazz recordings are about capturing a "live" feeling. It's about dynamics and using as little compression and limiting as possible. Popular music is all about pushing the limits of what the studio can do. The current Loudness Wars, combined with streaming being the majority way people listen to music (i.e. being about to cross over to different artists and albums without noticing a drop in volume) are simply dictating how music is now mastered.

One advantage of vinyl is the limitations the medium has, compared to digital, on how loud you can make a recording prevents albums from being brickwalled (although the 2000's saw a lot of brickwalled masters being "de-mastered" for vinyl - but that's another story). And vinyl albums being an isolated listening experience, compared to streaming, means mastering engineers don't have to limit as hard (if they don't want to - of course).

Django216 and Solace like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The BG is definitely warmer in tone. The 2011 Sax (& 2016 repress) is a little more analytical. I really like both. Just FYI the currently in print version in the US is the BG, so if you buy it today this is what you will get.

I still have to track down a copy of the OG UK one of these days :)

pexie and Joti Cover like this.
  11. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Is there Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-1981 is still missing in Record format...

andrewskyDE, kendo, drum_cas and 2 others like this.
  12. Dr. Metal MD

Cheers! Thanks for letting me know!

Good to know. Appreciate the input. So, on the US Amazon site, there is a 2011 and a 2016 posting for this album. So, you are sure that the 2016 one (here: https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Were-He...ish+you+were+here+vinyl&qid=1596022479&sr=8-3) is the true BG pressing?

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They may as well do a completely new (and better) mix of The Wall live and include the good film of the concert on home video. There is a big box set there no doubt.

14. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I do have both, and don't rate them high. I would've given a slight nod to BG cut. if it wasn't for some weird whooshing on Side 2. Its most noticeable during the intro to WYWH. I tested 4 copies and its on all of them. Mastering issue or pressing defect? I don't know.

15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

So is Rick Wright's Broken China. Would love to have both on vinyl.

16. Dr. Metal MD

Interesting. I don't have that whooshing on my copy. Sounds like I will be keeping my eyes out for a good US, UK, or JPN OP then!

17. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Biding.

You were biding your time.

Dorian75 likes this.
  18. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

Now I'm up and running with my hi-fi I need to pick up some Floyd LP's. I have the 2014 Division Bell Box and the recent blue vinyl of that. Also have the MOFI DSOTM which my dad gave me.

In a nut shell are these recent reissues up to standard? I actually wouldn't mind WYWH but the reviews aren't glowing for it. Then just Animals and AMLOR would be a priority for now.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  19. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I have Relics, More, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, and Animals, and I think they're all fantastic.

20. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Recent WYWH is good. Pick it up and see for yourself.

21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Best Ive heard.

The Gomper likes this.
  22. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. I have posted two short clips on page 390 of this thread. DS and BG intro into WYWH. You can hear a consistent low rumble/whoosh effect in BG.
    If your BG don't have this, then it must be a bad batch and I'm an unlucky son of a gun.

Regards

23. Dr. Metal MD

Which one specifically?

I'll have to check it out, thanks. The one I have is the DS cut. I checked the deadwax last night and to my dismay it had TLM. I have always thought it sounded great to my ears, but as this is my favorite Floyd album, I've started looking into which copies of it I can get for reasonable prices that sound superior.

24. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Actually both. I've got both Sax and Grundman.

25. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Better than a 1st UK or German pressings?