Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I only cancelled AMC's and Regal's monthly programs because I am no longer within range of a theater of theirs to make it workable.

It is only through one of these movie viewing programs that I had been going to see many, if not most of the first run movies in a theater.

I don't think that most people, as specially single people are going to pay $19.95 or more to stream the majority of first run movies at home.

Even when a movie first makes its presentation on media, I will generally wait six months or so, until the price drops to around $10, before I will buy it.

MikaelaArsenault and brownie61 like this.
  2. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Restaurant attendance around here has definitely not reached pre-quarantine capacity.

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The local movie theater here is showing a new movie called The Rental starting tomorrow.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Piling on the bad news, this time from Disney.....

Disney delays 'Mulan' indefinitely, Star Wars and Avatar movies pushed back a year

Disney is making some major changes to its release calendar that include displacing “Mulan” from its Aug. 21 release and pushing back the debuts of future Star Wars and Avatar by a year.

On Thursday, the company said that theater closures and production shutdowns during the global coronavirus pandemic caused to make a number of adjustments to its slate.

“Over the last few months, it’s become clear that nothing can be set in stone when it comes to how we release films during this global health crisis, and today that means pausing our release plans for ‘Mulan’ as we assess how we can most effectively bring this film to audiences around the world,” a Walt Disney Studios spokesperson said in a statement Thursday.

“Mulan” is currently listed as unset, meaning its release is delayed indefinitely. The company has also pushed back the release dates for three Star Wars movies and four Avatar sequels by one year.

Additional slate changes include:

• “The Personal History of David Copperfield” moving to Aug. 28
    • “Death on the Nile” is now debuting on Oct. 23
    • “The Empty Man” will arrive on Dec. 4
    • “The French Dispatch” is unset
    • “Antlers” is now dated Feb. 19, 2021
    • “The Last Duel” will arrive Oct. 15, 2021
    • An untitled Disney Live Action film will take the place of “Avatar 2” on Dec. 16, 2021.
    This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Note from James Cameron.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Studios are not going to release their big budget movies just to lose money or just to break even. And I don't believe they'll go the streaming or rental route. Warner Bros. won't upload Tenet for legal streaming, just to see it torrented a few hours later.

Imho, it's going to take about 12 months to regain a sort of normality. Less if they find a vaccine, but I'm not expecting Tenet, Mulan, Bond, Wonder Woman, Black Widow to be released this year.

Theaters may reopen this summer (heck, late July, and summer's almost gone) to make some money, and I mean just "some" but wide releases? Let's forget about it.

I hoped to see Tenet this summer, or in autumn. This is one year, or more, of our lives that's being robbed by you know who.

I'm not so fast the way I used to be, but I'm 100% furious. Summer is my fave time of the year to go the movies and it was a joy taken out of me.

Finally, I believe there won't be Oscar Awards this year, just like this sports award

Ballon d'Or 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic

...unless The Academy guys want to give awards to "Bad boys for life", "Doolittle" and "Sonic", and give "Onward" the best animated feature award, with no competition.

John Moschella and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

7. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I'm curious to see how Disney will tackle the Star Wars sequels since they kinda screwed up with the movies the last few years.
    • Movie-related toy sales took a nose dive after last Jedi. Mandalorian did fix this to a certain degree but the movies didn't get the toy sales Disney hoped for.
    • The critical response to Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker has been less than favorable
    • Numbers from Galaxy's Edge (The new Star Wars land in the Disney parks) are pretty shocking. The addition of the land has led to a whopping 0% increase in visitors in Walt Disney World and a 2% increase in visitors in Disneyland Anaheim, at least to those parts of the park. You have to consider that the parks have been closed for a while but those percentages are very worrying. Basing those lands on an unknown planet and focusing more on the sequel trilogy has been a mistake in my opinion. They should have went with the original plans and just build Tattooine. The stunted opening and delaying of Rise of the Resistance doesn't help either.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Ros" got mediocre reviews, but "Last Jedi" is at 90% on RT from critics. That's "less than favorable"? :confused:

Chip Z likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Two more releases being pushed back. Will there even be a movie theatre industry in 2021???

Paramount is pushing back the release of marquee titles A Quiet Place Part II and Top Gun: Maverick from this year to 2021 amid the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic.

The studio announced Thursday evening that John Krasinski's A Quiet Place Part II is being delayed from Sept. 4, 2020 to April 23, 2021, while Top Gun: Maverick — which sees Tom Cruise reprise his titular role — is moving from Dec. 23, 2020 to July 1, 2021.

10. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Meant to say audience response. TLJ was very decisive.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I think the bottom line is going to be that release dates no longer will have anything meaningful.

If the theaters do not begin to attracting the crowds that the studios are looking for, then they will continue to set back the opening dates.

Just because they have moved films to 2021, that has no meaning either as the situation then may not much different than it is now.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and brownie61 like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wasn't there an issue with online trolls who swamped "Last Jedi" with negative reviews for their own jerky means?

I think "Last Jedi" was much more popular with "regular fans" - it was just a subset of Angry Nerds who attacked it...

Chip Z and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Wow, this is a historic deal that happened late Tuesday night...

Universal, AMC Allow Theatrical Releases to Debut on Premium VOD Early

Universal Pictures and AMC Theatres have put aside a bitter feud and signed a multi-year agreement that will allow the studio’s films to premiere on premium video on-demand within three weeks of their theatrical debuts.

The pact, sure to send shockwaves throughout the exhibition industry, has the potential to reshape the ways that movies are marketed and distributed. Rival studios are likely to begin pushing for exhibitors to grant them more flexibility when it comes to determining when and how their theatrical releases can make their way onto home entertainment platforms.

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. However, in a statement, AMC’s CEO Adam Aron said the company will “share in these new revenue streams,” which means that it will get a cut of any money made on these digital rentals. Universal only has the ability to put its movies on premium on-demand, meaning the rentals that go for roughly $20 a pop. It cannot sell films or rent them for lower on-demand fees, in the $3 to $6 range, until three months after they debut in cinemas.

15. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Three weeks?
    That is a very short time span. Makes it very tempting to just wait and watch the newest movies in the comfort of my own home. $20 is a tempting price for watching a new movie, especially when you split the costs. I can imagine a lot of families will take this route and save a lot of money.

Vidiot, Jrr, Spencer R and 2 others like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wouldn’t they make money doubling the physical media ( boutique packaging)price for a couple of months?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  17. alexpop

Good thing for obesity, cinemas as eateries closed for a couple of years. Saying that I’ll miss seeing new films... was never interested oversize buckets of popcorn etc..

Spencer R likes this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Before the pandemic, watching movies in the comfort of my own home was far more tempting than going to the theatre, even though we still went to the theatre occasionally out of habit. With a 4K TV at home, picture quality isn’t vastly better in the theatre. At home, I never have to get up and go to the concession stand to let someone know that the projectionist has let the trailers start playing with the sound off. $20 for a download or a rental of a new movie sounds like a lot, but it’s cheaper than taking a family of three or four to the movies and buying anyone anything to eat or drink. As in many other areas of life, this pandemic is only accelerating a change that was already happening. If I owned a chain of movie theatres, I’d be looking hard at a Plan B right now.

19. alexpop

No film releases.
    No cinemas/ no dvd / no blu ray?
    Sad days ahead.

20. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I'm okay with the idea of all films being released just for home viewing at this point. We only went to the theater once or twice a year anyway, so it's not something we feel we're missing out on. A 4K TV with a good sound bar is really all you need these days, both of which are pretty affordable.

Spencer R likes this.
  21. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I have a great home theater. Projection screen. Surround sound, etc. I still like to go to the movies and miss it. It's just not the same being able to stop it. Having home distractions, etc.

brownie61 likes this.
  22. alexpop

Monday’s new dvds Blu rays in my store is not the same hardly any new releases.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Seems to me AMC realizes it’s over. Sounds like a treaty to me. Don’t see theater’s getting the same revenue as from their concessions, and as time goes by there will be absolutely no reason in the world for the studios to share revenue with the theaters. Wow. This is more of a gentle let down and will give theater’s time to ease out of the business if you ask me.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I was happy to pay $50 for that deluxe edition of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. If I had a choice up front, I would probably almost always by pass the theater and rental options and get the deluxe/boutique package especially if I was saving $24 for two tickets. Like most of you, I have a great home theatre (145” projection) and awesome sound system. I don’t love the theater going experience anymore. And this would produce more revenue for the studios imo if they did a great job with physical media...might save physical media, which I’m a huge fan of though I know many aren’t. Interesting times! Many here like Chris love the theater experience...I hope a happy middle ground will be found so we’re all happy.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

I really don't see much conflict between high dollar early rentals and actual theater box office income.

I see these as two distinctly different customer profiles as witnessed in these previous threads.

Jrr and brownie61 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.