Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I hope you’re right!

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

[​IMG]This just in...

[​IMG]

Shipment Delay

Hello,
    We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. We'll send a confirmation as soon as it ships and communicate the expected delivery date. We apologize for the inconvenience.

3. GKH

GKH Senior Member

It's interesting
    Looking forward to it! Although, delays are always a bit of a bummer.

I think, I'm running out of reasons not to order..

SteelyNJ likes this.
  4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I ordered mine direct from Parks Audio last night. Shannon emailed me that he would prepare mine today then ship it out tomorrow and provide the tracking number.

bizarrolarry, SteelyNJ and GKH like this.
  5. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I read over the Puffin manual again today (for the third or fourth time). :biglaugh:
    Now it seems, the Lounge MKIII was something from my distant past.. :faint:
    I've all but forgotten that any other phono preamp exists. The Puffin has some kind of hold on me. :yikes:

bru87tr, Bill Why Man and SteelyNJ like this.
  6. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

In hindsight I probably should have gone the direct order route, too. The email from Amazon about the delay said I’d be notified soon about a new expected delivery date but that has not yet happened. Still in limbo.

7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

My guess is Shannon probably provides Amazon with some inventory and when they are gone he as to refill it, which is causing your delay. I ordered from him directly only because it is a small business and he probably makes more money if you order directly.

PineBark, bru87tr and SteelyNJ like this.
  8. bizarrolarry

bizarrolarry Active Member

Maybe we should start a cult around the Puffin...

bru87tr likes this.
  9. bizarrolarry

An underrated aspect of owning a Puffin is that you're directly supporting a small business, and Shannon absolutely deserves it. Every interaction I've had with him has been very friendly and informative.

10. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Me too. I ordered directly from Parks Audio too, though I did order a refurb to save some $.

GKH and bizarrolarry like this.
  11. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I think, I'm about to!
    Looking at my Salamander Archetype rack, since the Puffin is a small unit rather than a full 17" width component, I think my best option is to put it on top with my table and DMD. To make this work best, I like the idea of those right angle AudioQuest plug adapters to bring the RCA cables straight back right under the table.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    luckybaer and bru87tr like this.
  12. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Now; I've read all the posts in this thread, and someone listed the Puffin's size; 8.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches.
    If I buy this, I'll need to re-think my installation options... :unhunh:

From most accounts, the more I read, the more impressed I am about this little bird.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  13. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Don’t forget to take into account the additional room you’ll need for the connecting cables and plugs.

GKH likes this.
  14. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

My Amazon order finally shipped with tomorrow as the new expected delivery date. I’ll believe it when it’s in my hands!

JorgeGvb, bizarrolarry and Kristofa like this.
  15. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I think, I have it figured out.:righton:

SteelyNJ likes this.
  16. sixthstreet

sixthstreet Forum Resident

How many of you have settled on the Puffin even though you have ostensibly "better" phono stages already? I'm trying to gauge what level of vinyl satisfaction the Puffin gives versus what tier of competition. But it seems to be a completely different sort of orange when comparing it to apples. I have a good Softone phono pre that I use with Cinemag CM-1254s. It's pretty satisfying, but the Puffin intrigues me.

luckybaer and GKH like this.
  17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I still use it at line level after my Lounge. I like the Lounge, but it is too “hot” in my chain right now. The Puffin just does so many things right, it seems silly for me to yank it.

I look forward to placing it in my secondary system to see how it fares. I am thinking it will easily champion the inexpensive Pro-Ject phono pre I have in that system, but I don’t listen critically to anything on that rig, so it matters far less. It is just a great device. If I end up buying one for the secondary rig, I will have it shipped to my son for him to try it out. He is vinyl 99% of the time, so he could probably really take advantage of it. I just hate buying him gear when he doesn’t explicitly state he needs it. The journey is half the fun!

bru87tr likes this.
  18. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I ask myself, why am I looking for another phono preamp?
    I can answer part of that by saying that quite a bit has changed in my system since I bought my Jolida and Rega Fono Mini A2D preamp back in 2012. The PolyTable, Digital Motor Drive, Jelco arm, and 2M Bronze! Everything just sounds good. I would have to say that George Merrill has a lot to do with me wanting a better phono preamp. He's a Sutherland dealer, after all. They make great phono preamps.
    I can sit back and listen to my system completely satisfied. Then; I think about a wider, deeper, soundstage, and low noise floor!!! Hell! Up until a few months ago, I had no idea what a noise floor was or what it meant to have a low one!
    My records are pretty quiet, overall. I have lots of newer pressings, and some really nice 70s pressings. Quite a few 180 and 200 gram pressings, too!
    Surface noise isn't that big of a deal to me. Yeah! I have a few pops and crackles that rear their ugly head on occasion. But; overall, not too terrible.
    I think the soundstage my system presents is pretty good!
    But..... But....! I have an under $200 phono preamp on a $3,000 turntable rig!!
    There must be more! There must be!! :shh:
    So; While focusing first on a $900, then a $1400 Sutherland, and trying to decide my best course of action to buy it, I begin doing more research...
    I'm not, nor ever will be a preamp collector. If I buy a new one, off the Rega goes.. Somehow over the past several weeks, I'm now more or less between the Puffin and the Lounge MKIII. If I can be completely blown away and impressed by a $500 phono stage, I might forget about the Sutherland, and be happily ever after.
    What am I looking for?
    A bigger soundstage, and a really low noise floor, I suppose. Can I live without a new phono preamp? Sure!
    I'm not sure that I have ever done more research, read more reviews, and pondered more than I have, since looking into a new phono preamp! And, over the years, going back to the 70s when you could walk into any number of brick and mortar hifi shops (in Tucson) numbering around 5 or 6 stores, it was not easy being completely happy with a current system! Not when there was always something just a bit better waiting....
    What brings me to the Puffin?
    The reviews are pretty favorable! Hand crafted design, made in the U.S. by a guy that has a passion for great sound, and innovation. All that the Puffin is capable of is mind boggling to me! How would it A to B against something like a Sutherland Insight?! Or; even the KC Vibe or a $1,200 Graham Slee? No idea.
    Same goes for the Lounge MKIII! Another great candidate! Obviously, plug and play. Again; great reviews.
    Folks; this is exactly where I am at this moment as I enjoy a Sierra Nevada Hazy Little IPA on my deck.
    Cheers!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    JorgeGvb, Kristofa and bajaed like this.
  19. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

I've ditched an ASR Mini Basis Mk2 for the Puffin, and I don't regret it. I'm not so sure about getting rid of the Gold Note PH-10 with external PSU, but who knows. If the Puffin gives me 95% of what the PH-10 delivers, I'll be tempted. I could by a lot of records for the money saved.

GKH likes this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

So you still use the Rega fono mini a2d ? I had one, ages ago. You will be surprised because that was a darkly coloured sounding preamp. Anything I had after that (mostly around the €400 mark) was a vast improvement.

GKH likes this.
  21. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Oh yes! :) The little Rega Fono Mini A2D still resides here, and has been my sole phono stage since 2012 when I purchased my Jolida JD302CRC amp and Ortofon 2M Bronze from Bill at Uptown Audio in Salem, VA. And, by the way; Bill is a great guy to do business with! Very knowledgeable! When looking for a new amplifier and cartridge, he suggested the Jolida and the Ortofon. I couldn't be happier! :righton:

Thanks for posting! It's great to hear an opinion on the Rega from someone who has had experience with it!!

bever70 likes this.
  22. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

My Puffin arrived mid-morning and I've been playing with it on and off since. So far, GREAT!!

Bubbamike, Bill Why Man, GKH and 2 others like this.
  23. bizarrolarry

Let us know your impressions once the Puffin settles into your system.

SteelyNJ and GKH like this.
  24. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Ugh... Tried to do firmware update. Epic fail. Wiped the puffin clean. Now it won't even turn on. Contacted parks audio via email. Hope he can help me out.

25. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I’m sure Shannon will get back to you but maybe someone here who has already successfully upgraded can assist you.