Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

You're not alone. Been out to the Blackpool & Preston stores in the last week and left both empty handed. Any 4K BluRays that might have been of interest were £25 each or higher. Nothing that I haven't already got on CD (in some cases many times over) and ditto on the few box sets they had in.

I made a point of buying the last three Beatles super deluxe boxes from Blackpool HMV, but at this rate will they even be stocking the supposedly forthcoming Let It Be set even if they are still open?

They are between a rock and a hard place now. Film wise they're competing with Amazon, iTunes and the streaming services. Musically they're competing with Amazon with physical and the streaming services otherwise. Charge enough to cover rents, staff etc and they can't get the sales. Slash prices and they might get some sales but enough?

I'd miss them if they went but I'm not sure what question I can ask myself where the first answer would be 'HMV'. And I must have spent thousands with them since the late 80s.

2. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Certainly, there are some recent releases that they haven't been getting in, which seems a bit odd. The Johnny Cash boxed set that came out today isn't in stock either - at the same time, my local store is moving, and one has to wonder why they would if they were not in good standing. In fact, it's my understanding from workers at my local store that just as lockdown came into place, HMV were back in the black.

That said, the Weller album mentioned earlier seems to be avilable for pre-order at the moment and saying that it will be dispatched prior to release, and the regular CD version is cheaper than it is on Amazon!

I think it is possible to read too much into the website stock levels though. The website is bloody awful, and there's always more stuff out of stock than in stock. Well, that's been the case for a couple of years, at least. What's more, if you look at the classical items on their website, for example, there's just 716 listed - which is a very small amount compared to what the larger stores must stock.

Also, I've just been wading through the Amazon lists of universal products and seeing if HMV have any in stock. Rush's most recent release (May 20) is in stock on the website. Lady Gaga's album from the end of May is also in stock. The June 12 release by Norah Jones is in stock on the website on vinyl - that's EMI officially, but owned by Universal these days, I think. Likewise, UMC's re-release of Sinatra's Nice n Easy (5 June) is also available on the website. The film "Emma" is also in stock, and that's Universal and only released last Monday. They also have "Dolittle," released on the same day - although from what I can gather, anyone who bought it might regret it!

Surely if there was a problem with Universal, it wouldn't be with some arms of the company and not others? Those blu rays only came out on Monday, and surely Universal would understand that HMV might have cash flow issues following the virus shutdown?

3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I went in my local HMV the other day, found a CD, which was priced £8.99, and took it to the till. The guy scanned it, and said "Oh, it's only £6.99." What else had they got on sale that was marked up higher than the actual price?

Came across the same thing there once before lockdown.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I haven’t been to an HMV since they reopened as there isn’t one in central London. But this new practice of putting price stickers on the back of items surely can’t be sustainable in the age of COVID-19. It means everyone handles each item much more.

Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. shanebrown

It must be some stores only. They aren't doing it in my local one.

6. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I’ve defended HMV for a long time, especially since I know some staff and they’re proper music buffs.

But they’re not being treated that well, by the sounds of it, and this whole business of pricing up things so they are even more expensive than they were is idiotic.

I try to use indie stores where possible, and this lockdown has seen some of them truly thrive as online businesses (especially Resident Music in Brighton), so I have to ask what HMV would give me that they can’t now?

7. shanebrown

If there was any problem with suppliers, it appears to be over. The Haim album is now in stock on the website, with the CD the same price as Amazon, and the LP £2 more expensive. The album is from a Universal label (Polydor) and was released yesterday - so if there are problems with Universal, I very much doubt that this would suddenly be available overnight.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Really good CD sale in HMV at the moment. Lots of Hoffman forum friendly titles at £1.99, £2.99 & £4.99. Stuff that doesn't usually turn up in sales. My haul today:

Rick James - Street Songs £2.99
    David Ruffin - Essential Collection £1.99
    Aswad - Aswad £2.99 (their 1976 great debut album. Really happy with this one)
    Blondie - Blondie £2.99
    and the best bargain of all:

The Police - Every Move You Make - The Studio Recordings 6 CD box - £6.99. Incredible bargain and I now have Dead End Job and Landlord on CD at last.

Anyone who still loves CDs needs to be heading to HMV!

9. I would if there was still a store in existence within a reasonable travelling distance from me. They've all closed down last year!

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can imagine that'll be the same for many. It might be worth checking if the prices are the same online. Off the top of my head they had

A lot of Rory Gallagher for £2.99 (Deuce, Tattoo, Against The Grain and a few more)
    Richard and Linda Thompson - Pour Down Like Silver £1.99
    Fairport Convention - Heyday £1.99
    Status Quo - Piledriver and Blue For You £1.99 each (Magnificent albums! Most of their other great ones were £2.99)
    Blondie - Plastic Letters £1.99
    U2 - Boy, War, October, The Unforgettable Fire, Under a Blood Red Sky £2.99
    The Upsetters - Super Ape £2.99
    A few of the Virgin Front Line reggae CDs for £2.99 - Culture, Gregory Isaacs, Mighty Diamonds

A lot more and they are still adding to the sale throughout this week.

11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Wow, looks like they can’t even give CDs away these days. Frustrating to think 10/20yrs ago I was paying £12+ when they argued they couldn’t make them cheaper. Perhaps if they had they wouldn’t have killed the market.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I ordered about 10 titles from HMV online the other day, in their 2 for £6 offer. Not even had confirmation that they're on the way. I expect they've been inundated with bargain hunters.

EG.

13. alex1976delarge

alex1976delarge Forum Resident

I went to hmv (and Fopp) in Manchester in 2018 and 19 while on vacation and came out with armloads of CDs. Most for 6 to 8 pounds, including some 2 disc sets. My carry on was literally stuffed with CDs and books I’d picked up. It was kid in a candy store time especially since most stores here had made the switch back to vinyl and my music taste is 95% British.

BlueJay, coffeetime and Pop_Zeus like this.
  14. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Was in HMV Edinburgh yesterday and bought Max Richter's Voyager compilation - down from £22.99 to £9.99.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Been buying more from the HMV sale. Irresistible at this price! All £2.99

Grant Green - Idle Moments
    Miles Davis - The Complete Birth of the Cool
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - Join Hands, Kaleidoscope, A Kiss In The Dreamhouse & Hyaena (they also had The Scream in but I have that)
    Suicidal Tendencies - Join The Army

They have a few Blue Note CDs for £2.99. Also all Dusty Springfield's 60s albums except In Memphis for £1.99. These are great albums and all have a lot of good extras, EPs and singles etc.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Sci-Flyer, RobNeil, Dave S and 3 others like this.
  16. shanebrown

The Police boxed set is online, too.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great stuff! It's a hell of a good deal.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I manage to get the following CDs in the sale.

Gong Angel's Egg and You 2CD deluxe issues, John Martyn's One World, Cream Disraeli Gears, and Lee Scratch Perry & the Upsetters Super Ape. Disraeli Gears is one of those album I've been meaning to pick up, but never got around to doing so. The Gong 2CD editions were priced incorrectly at £7.99 and £6.99. It turned out they were £4.99 each.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. shanebrown

This is all very typical. My local one has been shut for ten days or so while they relocate. Hope these offers are there when they open on Friday.

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Every email I get from HMV is about vinyl. Vinyl this, vinyl that.... :rolleyes:

EG.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

As a near lifelong record listener, buyer and collector I'm getting tired of vinyl. I don't mean not enjoying my collection, but the hype and high prices everywhere. I don't enjoy record buying and hunting anywhere near what I used to. Flicking through HMVs vinyl racks is depressing to me. I bought Neil Young - Homegrown on vinyl and that's great along with sensibly priced, but I can't afford around £25 - £40 for every LP I want. Sometimes you can get an artists
    whole catalogue on CD for less. I still love music as much as ever, I never get jaded with that, and I love buying CDs and 45s, but I feel like I'm slowing down with vinyl albums.

Porkpie, Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Big vinyl sale starting tomorrow in HMV.

Porkpie likes this.
  23. shanebrown

Our newly-moved (about twenty metres) HMV reopened today, and have to say I found some stuff in the sale, too - quite unusual as a classical and jazz buyer. But significant discounts on a few things I've been looking at for a few months, and so picked them up.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't find the vinyl sale particularly inspiring, but I got another lot of incredible CD bargains yesterday.

Roxy Music - S/T deluxe 2CD - £2.99
    The Temptations - 5 Classic Albums - £2.99
    Alex Harvey - 5 Classic Albums £2.99
    Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty, Ev'rythings Coming Up Dusty, Where Am I Going & Dusty Definitely - £1.99 each
    Beach Boys - 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow £2.99
    Cream - BBC Sessions £2.99
    Gregory Isaacs - Cool Ruler £2.99 & The Best Of £1.99

I really need to slow down buying music, but prices like this can't be missed. The CDs in the sale are all Universal titles. I was chatting to the manager and he said it was 'sale or return' stock that they were going to return, but Universal didn't want it back so they got it very cheap to sell off cheap.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A visit to the Ayr store got me

Gong Shamal 2CD £4.99
    Police Every Move You Make 6CD box £4.99
    Pat Benatar 5 Classic Albums £2.99
    Fairpoint Convention Unhalfbricking £2.99

Could easily have bought more Blind Faith, Level 42 5 Classic Albums, a Carole King live album, etc. May pop into the Burton store next week.

Eric_Generic likes this.