The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yah just reading the post from Howie over at Smiley Smile. He sounds pretty upset about the situation.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:doh::doh::doh:

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

4. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Howie posted this. It definitely sounds cancelled to me. Really heartbreaking to hear.

"I dropped by to help answer some of the questions re: the project, because there's some confusion as to whether it does exist, if it's coming out, etc.

It definitely DOES exist. It definitely IS completed. It definitely is named FEEL FLOWS.

Both Jardine and Johnston have spoken publicly about it.

Linett, Boyd, and I worked on it for 2 years.
    Those two put the whole f*****g thing together.
    Hours and hours and hours and hours.

As the official BRI consultant, I was asked my opinion throughout and consulted with brains and heart.
    I got the box green-lit by the label.
    I saved it from dying on the vine TWICE.

It's incredible.
    It forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade.
    It's THAT good. It's THAT important.

It is currently NOT scheduled for release."

Hep Alien and paulbright81 like this.
  5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

My god. What a f'ing shame. Classic Beach Boys.

6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

7. Pretty.Odd.

Rumors on the Smiley Smile board is pointing to Mike Love as the reason for delay/cancellation. Nothing beyond speculation, but seems very likely. Jon Stebbins, Beach Boys author and insider said this:

"I find it amazing reading through this thread that so many people have learned nothing about this band's fatal flaw...which historically is of course themselves. And definitely not all of them. Howie laid it all out for you in big flashing letters, but some people are still stumbling around, confused, wondering if it's Covid-19, or marketing, or the label that's holding this up. Jesus, c'mon people. Look at the history of this band. Read Howie's posts because he knows everything. He can't name names because he's a professional with bridges intact and trying his best to keep them that way. This box could have been released months ago. It could have a solid release date right now. It's ready. We want it. The label wants it. But that can't happen because the circular firing squad is doing their thing ...again. It's often a one or two man circular firing squad BTW. People have written chapters in book's about it. Maybe this will get worked out, it doesn't look great right now. But if you wonder why? Look at the history of the band, the answer is obvious. Finding a way to [mess] up a beautiful thing. It's in the DNA of the Beach Boys."

Hep Alien, Shawn, RAZORMADE and 2 others like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

They blew it and they will continue to blow it. Tragic. :realmad:

9. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Since we're all a-speculatin', hypothesizin' and educated guessin' -- what, pray tell, from this period would be causing such a fuss? All members are so well represented from this period -- a period generally regarded as a massive success, artistically, from all contributors.

saborlord123 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This probably doesn’t bode well for the ongoing copyright download releases.

11. Lance LaSalle

Maybe Mike is pissed off about that concert earlier in the year that Al and Brian were trying to stop. I remember thinking “uh-oh” when that happened.

Man this had potential to be one of the greatest archival sets of all time, too.

12. Pretty.Odd.

If I were to guess, I think Mike has two big hang ups about this period:

A.) The 69-71 period was a different one for the group. A period that doesn't exactly align with the image that Mike has been trying to project to general audiences for the past few decades or so.
    B.) This period shines HEAVILY on the work of all three of the Wilson brothers with a significant amount from Dennis. I don't think that bodes well with Mike. Numerous books out there have discussed in ugly detail the strained relationship between Mike and Dennis. Mike doesn't need another Wilson brother to be overshadowed by.

All speculation, but these are very likely reasons coming from Mike's perspective. It's very unfortunate as this is probably the second strongest era from the group (after 65-67).

13. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Isn't that what this is? It's just that they decided to release '69-'71 all together in one package?

14. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

I think this isn’t the result of a person, but the market. Step back for one second... there are going to be very few BIG releases this fall. Ask any publicist. Everyone is pulling back, rescheduling release dates, etc. The landscape has changed 100% since the spring. Previously, folks might have thought they could still get interest and press even in the run up to the election....but now? With COVID-19 changing everything? Even media that had been friendly to projects like this one are devoting little energy to anything that isn’t going to guarantee attention and sell ads. There’s little or no money for advertising this and next quarter - and ad space is all going to the election. After November, things may be different, but it’s not the same market or economy that it was when this project was planned. Perhaps it will come out as limited run, vanity release - or maybe it will be added to the next quarter. But it’s not likely we’ll see any expensive new releases for this holiday season.

15. Pretty.Odd.

I wish that was the case for this project. Insiders over at the Smiley Smile board, who are working on the project confirmed the delay is not COVID related, but issues/disagreements within the group itself.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Kind of. This set became a physical, mainstream retail box set rather than an under-the-radar download vault dump.

17. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Ah, yes. Once again Mike Love's ego gets in the way. His legacy is already trash so what's he got to lose? How long has Dennis been gone? How long has Carl been gone? And here's the least talented member of the band roadblocking the whole deal because he's getting his poor little feelings hurt. And because he's not getting as much credit awarded because he wrote very little during this time period which equates in fewer royalties. What a douchbag indeed. I may be all wrong about this but when I first heard of the delay with this release, he's the first one I thought of causing it.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  18. Lance LaSalle

The world of 2020 needs a Sunflower/Surf's Up set. I could not be more serious.

19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

They've had no problem releasing all sorts of stuff recently. Times are definitely crazy. Hopefully everyone will settle down after November and we'll have world peace! We're a jittery species.

20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The fact we got “The Gong” says to me anything is possible. I don’t know if there was more Manson related things being waved at this box set or not, and that’s it? The earlier post pointing at the emphasised Dennis giving Mike some problems wouldn’t shock me - but Mike does some amazing work here too!

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I really really don't need to hear this right now. I've expressed concern here a few years ago that the copyright sets will end when we hit the 70s. The Brother 2fers had none of the planned bonus tracks. Made In California was a missed opportunity for 70s outtakes. There was also a set of Brother Rarities planned and scrapped. It just figures. A delay, I can deal with. A cancellation would be tragic because it wouldn't be just this, but future releases now at risk too. The new Endless Summer Quarterly is all about Sunflower and Mike and Bruce have a lot of good things to say. What the hell, man...

22. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Whether or not this comes to be, I guess we'll find out together. I'm almost sorry I posted this "rumor" based on some of the other comments by the source. I've been on the Smiley Smile board for about 8 years or so, but had zero interaction with this person outside of seeing his posts.

This seems to be rather contemptible to slam ESQ... and I don't even read ESQ. Just kind of pointless.

[​IMG]

MRamble likes this.
  23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That's not a slam. He's just saying what ESQ was teasing isn't the same project as the one he was working on.

Also, this has begun:
    Sign the Petition

24. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I think maybe this thread should be merged with the Sunflower 50th? thread. Both are discussing the same things, but this thread seems to be less active and not quite as current as the other thread in terms of information, so anyone reading this one would be interested in the other: The Beach Boys - Sunflower 50th?

Jason Manley likes this.
  25. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I dunno... the use of the word "hawking" and saying that this is an "entirely different level/pay grade" than that. Kind of implies that ESQ was bloviating about some release that isn't going to happen and even if it does it's 'not as special as my super-secret "members only" scoop that no one else has'.

Just... odd.