Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

This is the second song I love on this album. Crazy You is short, acoustic(-ish) and sweet.
    It literally drips by the sound a dripping water... nice way of giving the song depth.

“I’m just a crazy fool...lost in a world of love I get from crazy you” Beautiful :love:

Prince performed it on the Dirty Mind tour. Maybe because of that it’s a favorite.

This is a 4 out of 5 for me :righton:

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Doesn't last long enough to wear out its welcome, that's for sure. The first inkling of Prince's Joni Mitchell fetish I think, with those slightly non-standard guitar chords vaguely mirroring Mitchell's sound.

[​IMG]

Not really memorable enough for me to seek out, but a pleasant interlude. Since I'm not giving fractional scores, I'd have to give it a 3, but it's a weak 3.

ziggytvs and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Generic boss nova meets 70s quiet storm production. Doesn’t last long enough for me to really hate it, but it’s uninspired, unoriginal and pretty dull. Not even an interesting buried guitar rhythm fill (that would become a Prince staple later on) in this one 2/5

Piiijiii and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

While we're in the For You era, did anyone else pick up the "autobiography" (as so little was actually completed as of his death). There's a pretty cool scrapbook in there that Prince put together during the recording of For You, nice to see such a carefree youthful Prince

ziggytvs, Piiijiii and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Yeah, just finished it and right now it is a great companion to this thread.

6. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

"Crazy You" is nothing special but, given that it's one of the few songs on this album I can bring to mind instantly, it gets a generous 3/5.

sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Crazy You for me is the best song on the record. I've always liked it. Sunspot42 mentions the references to Joni Mitchell and I've read others say that as well. I don't necessarily hear it but as we know she was a huge influence.

8. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Sorry I'm late!

Soft and Wet. Not a bad choice for a debut single. I still like it. But I gotta say, I'm spoiled by the 12" Disco Mix. There's a 2nd synth line that is brought up louder in the mix that makes the song twice as funky. 4/5

Crazy You. Doesn't overstay it's welcome, almost feels like an interlude. Pleasant enough, nice textures. 3/5

Lance LaSalle and Izozeles like this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Where is that 12" "Soft & Wet" disco mix available?

Lance LaSalle and Izozeles like this.
  10. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

11. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Crazy You

This one is not really a favorite of mine, in fact I often skip it when listening to this album.

2/5

-George

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Crazy You"

1-0
    2-5
    3-10
    4-1
    Average: 2.6125

13. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Just as Long as We're Together", written and produced by Prince.

Spotify: Just as Long as We're Together
    LYRICS.

Prince made several recordings of this song:

• A demo of the instrumental "Jelly Jam", which forms part of this song, was recorded as far back as summer 1976.
    • Later, another version was cut, separate from "Jelly Jam", which was also re-recorded.
    • Prince re-recorded the song twice as a sort of audition for executives of both CBS records and Warner Brothers, to prove that he could play all the instruments and produce himself.
    An edit of the song was also released as a B-side of "I Wanna Be Your Lover" 7" single in the UK and Italy and the full-length version was released on the B-side of a 12" single in the UK and the Netherlands.

14. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Just As Long As We're Together 4/5

here's a nice collection of 77-78 unreleased songs and versions, starts with Jelly Jam and there's an unreleased version of Just As Long As We're Together also. Also included are two songs I think should have been on For You, We Can Work It Out (recorded at the start of his working relation with WB, he hopes it will work out, for a long time it did) and Make It Through The Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA4YWnQvgU

ziggytvs and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Another song that sounds like an EWF riff, but it's still distinctively Prince. Something about the way he delivers the titular phrase is just 100% Prince.

The lite disco production really doesn't do his work any favors. It rips the balls off of his funk and distracts from his melodies and lyrics in precisely the way his more stripped back punk/funk, New Wave-tinged productions don't. It also leads to a lot of rambling, which this cut at 6+ minutes is seriously guilty of. Although the breakdown starting at around the 4 minute mark is enjoyable. He hadn't quite learned yet that less is more, had he?

I would be inclined to give an edit of this a 3, but the best part of it is probably the lengthy instrumental that closes the cut, and it's only good, not great. A strong 2, since I don't do fractional grades.

16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Just As Long As We're Together
    It's like an overwhelmingly hot soup that won't leave your taste alone. Plenty of disco and Earth Wind & Fire falsetto influences. By this time you need to move away from the specific synthesizer sound, room to breathe; the percussion part is a welcome change.
    2/5

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I would rate ‘Just As Long As We’re Together as solid 3 of 5 and my Favorite Song so far on the Album. I hear a little sound of the Synthesizer on this Song that Prince would go on to use for The Time, like a speeded up version of ‘Get It Up’, if that makes any sense. Also, in this Song, I kind here a little of Sheila E’s ‘The Glamorous Life’ that Prince wrote for his Talented Occasional Drummer.

18. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Just As Long As We're Together 3.75/5
    This is a great song for a young guy (though not as young as the record company said) on his self recorded debut.
    The sound has the influences of the late 70s and the trademark distorted guitar is missing here.

19. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

I feel like this song was intended as a major musical statement for this album, especially to focus on just how tight a one-man-band can sound. And to that goal, it’s quite impressive. A very, very busy arrangement though; quite cluttered.
    There’s a lot of nice little touches: the bass playing is quite accomplished. The rhythm guitar is funky. His voice is lovely here (“There is nothing that will overcome the love we share”)
    He had been demo-ing this song for at least a couple of years, so ultimately this is the work of a very young man. But I think this is the clearest proof so far that this is quite the talented Musician with a great deal of potential.
    If I was making a comprehensive Box Set in the grand, old school manner of Dylan’s Biograph or Clapton’s Crossroads, 3 songs so far would be included:
    1. For You
    2. Soft and Wet
    3. Just As Long As We’re Together
    And, as Freek 999 pointed out above, the unreleased (so far) Make It Through The Storm is as good or better than anything on this album.
    Just As Long is a 3.5 for me

20. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Just As Long As We’re Together is a good, but the Jelly Jam part is just too long. Because of that I like the 7” version much more. That’s a 4 out of 5.

The album version is a 3 out of 5.

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Just As Long As We're Together"

This one is a little over complicated perhaps (cf. "Crazy You"!) - without anything all that memorable to hook you in or force you to repeat the track immediately.

Technically impressive but ultimately not particularly successful as a production in this final form. The jam is decent enough and a welcome sign of funk workouts to come but it's a bit tame - like he's emulating the Bee Gees Band, going for a commercial sound as opposed to just being his funky self.

sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  22. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

I really dig "Just as long as we're together", but like others have said, the best part of it is the "Jelly Jam" section. I always saw this one as Prince showing off. Again, the 12'' version is my go-to. It's a tad slower than the LP version, but has a sparkle to it. 3/5

I never saw the love for "Make it through the storm", it's really just more of the same. Saying it would have fit on For You isn't saying much. I do love "We Can Work It Out" though.

23. Lance LaSalle

3.6/5.love the jam.

24. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Agree with all the comments above, but a solid performance, and well mixed track with a heckuvalot going on. Low-end 3/5.

25. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

A bit too generic-disco for me, just a beat without a memorable melody, and I could definitely live without the Jelly Jam bit which makes it far too long at over 6 minutes.

2/5

Lance LaSalle and sunspot42 like this.