Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some serious coin here Audio Note and Avantgarde Acoustic

[​IMG]

Three quid, NapaBob and jonwoody like this.
  2. Richard Austen

I follow this site that gives me some fancy systems - two systems around Audio Note in the same day - When the AN E - just isn't big enough.

[​IMG]

cobbler and jonwoody like this.
  3. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Richard what site?

4. Richard Austen

facebook page Rebombori

5. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

while not as impressive these are doing the job here.

The AN-E SPx AlNiCo ... what a truly stunning speaker. the refinement is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don Parkhurst, Dai, Art K and 12 others like this.
  6. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

That’s my end goal. I figure it might happen in 2022, but we’ll see how things go.

slcaudiophile and Fred Hansen like this.
  7. slcaudiophile

you will love them.

they take some time to break in, especially for the bass to fill in but once they do, simply stunning. they work with any DHT valve but are especially good with the 211 based stuff and of course the higher level 300bs amps ... :)

8. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I know, sounds like just a number - but, once you get to listen to those amps (in the right room), go can never go back.

slcaudiophile and finn like this.
  9. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Those are beauties @slcaudiophile. Here are my homemade AN Speaker Kit-04 AlNiCo's. Hooked them up without a veneer job to test them and have never looked back.

[​IMG]

Dai, Art K, Joe Spivey and 5 others like this.
  10. Richard Austen

Um 2A3 is king baby! :pineapple:

jonwoody likes this.
  11. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

They are VERY impressive :righton: I remember the first time I heard them--I was just SO carried away by the music. That was the first time I felt the AN magic, and I decided that they were my end goal speakers. And now I have them! I enjoy the music they make everyday. While the SPe HE is a great speaker for the money, it doesn't have the musical drive of the Alnicos IMO. So it's a worthwhile upgrade @spartree :agree:

12. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

What finish are they? Apple high gloss?

13. Richard Austen

I heard them first at an audiophile's place in Hong Kong. I believe he was the pianist for the Chinese Symphony orchestra and has retired - teaches piano now. He had his speakers upgraded to the AlNiCo - and he played some "non-dynamically limited" Chinese Drum - these are expensive discs with warnings that they will destroy your loudspeakers if you are not careful. The experience was rather amazing. If I see those albums - I will pick them up - I would prefer them on vinyl however.

14. slcaudiophile

yes, high gloss apple. it is really hard to capture the finish in a photo on these speakers, as many of you know.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  15. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Same as mine :cheers: Yes, they are good looking. Beautiful in a not-in-your-face way.

16. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic.

Aesthetics aside, does anybody know if the high gloss finish has an impact on how it sounds? I imagine that the finish would make the cabinet stiffer and wonder if AN has compared the sound of their cabinets with and without the finish, all other things being equal?

17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I had my cabinets changed from a nongloss version (not apple, though) to my current high gloss apple, and perhaps the sound got slightly more focused. But I was told beforehand that this should be the case, so it may be placebo :laugh: In any case, I can safely say that in my system the difference is small, and that I would only choose high gloss for the aesthetics. Which is reason enough--they look fantastic!

jonwoody likes this.
  18. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

How was that done? I really like the high gloss finishes might consider getting mine done unless it involves shipping back to the factory. I'm assuming that's the case but just in case thought I'd ask. And I'm sure your speakers look and sound fantastic! :cheers:

19. slcaudiophile

yes agreed. i advise all clients to do a HG finish. it is expensive but worth it. and no, no sonic difference between HG and Satin ... the HG is just really cool to look at. :)

Encore and jonwoody like this.
  20. Sheppard

I agree that the high gloss looks great. It can be a challenge to keep looking great though, especially in sunlight as it will show any fingerprints, dust, or smudges.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the high gloss finish looking good?

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Close the curtains, don’t touch. Move with gloves.

David B., slcaudiophile and Jellis77 like this.
  22. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I have the HG finish on my TT2. It is a magnet for smudges, for sure. I use a soft microfiber cloth with just a wee spritz of water if necessary. Mostly I just keep the lights low. The music sounds better that way anyhow.

23. slcaudiophile

i just noticed there are two pairs of GAKU-ONs and a M10. i bet this is something to hear.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those amps are wasted on those AG's (IMO).

J.Uotila and Richard Austen like this.
  25. Sheppard

Good tip on the gloves. With the heat in California though, sometimes I just have to leave the windows open unless I want to be listening in an oven!