Which MONO Albums Are You Currently Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I only have the one mono BOB copy and a previous owner wrote his name on Dylan's exposed wrist on cover...thanks Kevin.:rolleyes:

I agree...MONO! Even though mine has marks and some spindle trails and the slightest warp it plays amazingly well. I picked up an OG stereo copy this week at a thrift in even rougher condition, I'd say VG... it has more surface noise but no skips. Soundwise though it just doesn't cut the mustard like the MONO.:unhunh:

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Two things...

Firstly, I'm also not sure which I prefer and maybe that's a good thing. Whichever I choose I always end up thinking "my god this is a cracking album", so I'm not sure it really matters because either way I'm still listening to one of the best albums of the sixties.

Second, for anyone out there who wants the Kinks mono albums on vinyl, don't go the individual album route because those are mastered from high res digital files. What you actually need is the box set, why? well because it's mastered All Analogue by Kevin Gray and the sound quality is fabulous.

Those early Stones albums are notorious for being up and down when it comes to sound quality. Unlike the Beatles and The Hollies, to name just two who were recording with some of the best engineers in one of the best studio's in the world, the Stones used many different studio's some of which were not nessecarily the best.

FJFP, Dayfold, Fender Relic and 2 others like this.
  3. hodgo

One of things I'm enjoying most about this thread is that I'm learning so much about what great music there is to be had, and not just because it's in mono but because I'd either forgotten about it or its completely new to me.

4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Connie Converse - How Sad, How Lovely

A mixture of personal recordings and recordings in a friend's New York kitchen, throughout the 1950s, naturally all mono. There are a few bits that aren't captured on this album, like the wonderful The Witch and The Wizard, but this is just about all her known recorded material.

I can never get over how good and mature this material is. Whip smart, witty, frequently beautiful, musically unorthadox and with fine interplay between her voice and guitar. I can't help but feel if she'd arrived 10 years later, she'd have been an icon.

In 1961, she gave up on music due to lack of success, and left New York. In 1974, ill and depressed, she disappeared. These recordings were finally released in 2009, the result of someone in New York public radio rediscovering her work.

5. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

I agree to a degree, I think of out of our heads as their punk album. The first album sounds Hi Def in places in comparison though. Imo.

FJFP and Man at C&A like this.
  6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

today i listened to
    paul butterfield blues band - 1st album USA gold guitar player elektra label mono
    paul butterfield blues band - east west USA gold elektra label mono

ive listened to more mono this week than all of last year :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Gasman1003 and hodgo like this.
  7. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

1. Stevie Wonder - I Was Made To Love Her (Good but going in the sale pile)
    2. Jimmie Rodgers - Twilight On The Trail (sale)
    3. Tex Ritter - Best of (sale)
    4. Righteous Brothers - Go Ahead & Cry (sale)
    5. Marty Robbins - A Song Of Robbins (Good, but, sale)
    6. Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads (Great Album! Keeper)
    7. Mitch Ryder - Breakout!!! (A rocker! Keeper)
    8. Mary Wells - Greatest Hits (keep)
    9. Bob Wills - Bob Wills Special (keep)
    10. Various Artist - Symposium In Blues (an odd record from 1961 from RCA with blues and jazz songs to promote the anti depressant Elavil. Great songs but I'll never play it again. Sale pile)
    11. Various Artist - The Good Old Fifties on ATCO. (great comp - keep)

8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Actually, my UK Mono has it blocked out by a white square with “Monday Monday and California Dreamin’” advertised!

Once I get home I’ll be joining in on this thread with some great mono LPs! However, in the meantime, I’m digging my needledrop of the Small Faces All or Nothing 45, with the great “Understanding” on the B-Side.

Man at C&A and hodgo like this.
  9. FJFP

Agreed on this - my UK Mono copy isn’t mint, but it sounds utterly magical. The few stereo tracks I’ve heard from the album just lose all the magic for me.

hodgo and domesticmachine like this.
  10. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

I recently played the US mono version on ABC. Very muddy sounding.

hodgo likes this.
  11. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Agreed. I have my moms original first press with the unauthorized center image and was playing each track back to back with my box set version. It just sung. Not that the box sounded bad. The original, even with some noise had a bit more depth and edge. Rainy Day Blues is raw! With everyone chattering it’s like a party in the room. My wife thought I was mad but it sounded glorious.

My mom wrote her name on the cover of her copy but on the back, top right. She has nice handwriting. Surprisingly her married name. She must have gone through and done that a few years after she bought it because they were married in ‘68. Not mint but I don’t mind at all that it’s there.

12. hodgo

So far this afternoon I've played the following two albums by the fabulous Julie London.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. FJFP

Gave all 4 of these mono beauties a spin today!

[​IMG]

14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Lately it's been the mono Pipers at the Gates of Down

15. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

its a glorious afternoon here so I think Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off is going to get a monowhirl. love this album.

16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

18. Red65

Red65 Well-Known Member

Fresh Cream in Mono, not a fan of the stereo of this album if for nothing else who wants to listen to a long drum solo in your left speaker. Much nicer when it plays on both and it's centered in your listening area.

19. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The B-side is so compressed in mono, though. I have the SDE version and the Prof Stoned needledrop, and TBH I prefer the drop - both have that fried B side, but the EQ on the SDE makes it sound painfully fizzy.

Pity, as side A sounds awesome on both.

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The Holy Trinity

FJFP likes this.
  21. FJFP

I just need that one on the right... maybe this will be the year.

22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

23. FJFP

My Sundazed mono pressings of the first 2 Nilsson albums arrived this morning. Both sound amazing, and the coloured vinyl on both is stunning, especially the tangerine on Aerial Ballet. A real treat to have Daddy’s Song restored too.

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

First time listener here. I've had a few Zappa/Mothers albums over the years but never heard this one before. A few days ago at a thrift I was going thru a bin of messed up LP's that got wet at one point and most of the covers and vinyl were pretty trashed. Great titles that made me want to cry...Hendrix,Stones,CSNY,Van Morrison, etc....most of the late 60's/early 70's heavy hitters. At one end of the bin there were a handful that escaped the rain or whatever and this was one in really solid VG+... vinyl actually better than that,looks barely played. First press mono...I don't know what to think about the music. Some brilliance mixed with some schlock was my first impression.

[​IMG]

WillieDaPimp, hodgo, pinkrudy and 2 others like this.
  25. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

Listening to this as I type.

I recently made a Simon and Garfunkel simulated comp/mix album from Prof Stoned needle drops.

SIDE ONE:
    Sounds of Silence
    Homeward Bound
    The Dangling Conversation
    A Hazy Shade Of Winter
    For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
    At The Zoo
    Fakin' It
    Scarborough Fair

SIDE TWO:
    Mrs. Robinson
    The Boxer
    Bookend Theme
    Save The Life of My Child
    America
    Pulley's Dilemma
    Cecillia
    The Only Living Boy In New York

16 tracks running around 42 minutes. Makes for a great listen. Yes, some big ones (hits and classic album tracks) are missing but I like this mix. Sounds of Silence sounds great in mono as does The Dangling Conversation and The Boxer ... Like the stereo version, the intro to Save The Life of My Child is still too loud for my liking but hey ... sounds fantastic. I actually didn't put Bridge on it because I only like to listen to it about every six months or so ... so I can get that magic buzz ... especially when that third verse comes in.

The recording equipment and the hard sought out mint copies that the Prof uses to do these transfers is state of the art. Amazing work.