The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Yes, all hypothetical of course but obviously the Monkees revival was hot at the time. I still believe it would it would be easier to sell "The New Monkees" vs. say, "The Parrots." Plus, there was a ton of money spent on the New Monkees promotion by Columbia-- solely on the Monkees name.

cloggedmind and Grand_Ennui like this.
  2. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

New Coke....failed.
    New Monkees...failed.

It’s surprising they never unleashed “Monkees Classic” on an unsuspecting public...

3. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing these. I was too young to witness the New Monkees and from what I've seen of the show, it didn't appeal to much to me. Those podcasts gave me a new and refreshing insight into this "reboot" so to speak.

cloggedmind and FredV like this.
  4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I don't remember watching The New Monkees but I remember one joke from it. They are all sitting at a table talking. Pope John Paul is mentioned. Someone says "Now if we can only get Pope George Ringo we'll have a reunion." They all laugh.

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Hep Alien and cloggedmind like this.
  6. super sally

Did the "new" anything succeed?
    There was Gidget, Munsters, Andy Griffith, etc.

I'm guessing "the new leave it to beaver" was a minor success as it was on many years. But it had almost the ENTIRE previous cast. I'm surprised Harry Shearer didn't show up (the original Eddie haskell.)

cloggedmind likes this.
  7. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

The Munsters Today was arguably more successful than the first series, racking up 3 seasons compared to the original's two.

Hep Alien and super sally like this.
  8. super sally

Oh cool. The original is still shown today and probably made more money back in the day, though.

9. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Oh I'm not saying it's better than the original but it did have a longer run than the original, hence the "arguable".

I myself don't care too much about Munsters Today, but the 3rd season's intro did have that rockin' 80s guitar sound:

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Harry actually played Frankie Bennett on Leave it to Beaver, the same character he played on Studio 57. Don’t know how often that happened but of course Richard Belzer holds the record for most different shows playing John Munch

Grand_Ennui and cloggedmind like this.
  11. super sally

oh wow, cool

pablo fanques likes this.
  12. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Belz also appeared as that character on a record! Paul Shaffer's "World's Most Dangerous Party".

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Yeah, it started out as STILL THE BEAVER on The Disney Channel and then changed to "The New..." once it hit syndication, and yes...it ran for a bunch of years.

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Well, I’ve never heard of the original Zoo Revue, have you?

15. super sally

ha ha! Nice one

16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

That...was...awful. Their name should've been The Jersey Monkees. "Hey yo dere Vinny!"

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Don’t blame that on the Guys, those were the type of scripts they were given to work with.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    pablo fanques and dave9199 like this.
  18. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Haha...that was my first VCR, too...they were one of the first decent affordable models (around $350 IIRC) at the time. I recorded the Monkees' MTV Marathon on that thing!

19. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Ha, I did the same thing, 1986 wasn't it? I remember going out and buying 3 cases of Sony HG L-500's to record all 56 episodes. (I recall that being A LOT of money).
    Believe it or not, I still have that collection as part of a massive video library amassed throughout the eighties as a result of a then very robust video trading hobby. I have a Sony SLHF-900 Betamax that is remarkably still functional.

20. pablo fanques

Consider me another fan who taped that marathon. As an added bonus, I was featured in a local commercial for a teen nightclub and it RAN during 'Monkee See, Monkee Die'! I still have the VHS tape despite no longer having a working VCR haha

21. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

You should get it digitized then.

22. pablo fanques

As it happens, I literally went to Walmart last nite to start the process but they aren’t offering it currently. I was like “What does Covid 19 have to do with digitizing video?!?” I’ll try elsewhere

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

No, but when WMAQ-Channel 5 ran the series in Chicago, they'd go to a break with a graphic, and the announcer would say, "Zoo Revue will continue after these messages."

24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

As long as Emmy Jo came back....they could have called it whatever they wanted!

pablo fanques and MarkTheShark like this.
  25. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

PM sent