Picture Show (A thread for interesting photos from the world of movies and TV)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 15, 2015.

1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Harold Lloyd during the making of Feet First, 1930

[​IMG]

2. JozefK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. JozefK

“Unaware that vacationing Barbara Stanwyck is sitting among them, New Yorkers in Central Park pay her no attention”

[​IMG]

4. JozefK

5. JozefK

Black cats and their owners line-up to audition for the Vincent Price film Tales of Terror (1961)

[​IMG]

6. JozefK

This is apparently the only known image of Phil Tucker, the infamous director of the even more infamous Robot Monster (1953)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Irving Lerner, later director of the Z-movie masterpiece Murder By Contract, is credited as "production associate". The music score is by -- I kid you not -- Elmer Bernstein. Everybody has to start someplace.

Phil Tucker - Wikipedia

7. JozefK

[​IMG]

Hattie McDaniel, c. 1910

8. JozefK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Laramie Street" in the background

[​IMG]

9. JozefK

Burt Lancaster hugging screenwriter Eleanor Perry, the back of Janet Landgard's head, and author John Cheever in The Swimmer

[​IMG]

10. JozefK

John Cheever vs. Burt Lancaster and the making of ‘The Swimmer’

Author John Cheever made a fleeting appearance in the film adaptation of his story The Swimmer during the summer of 1966. He played John Estabrook, a party guest at one of the homes Burt Lancaster’s character Ned Merrill visited on his journey to swim pool to pool across the county. In a letter to a friend, Cheever described his day’s filming:

What I was supposed to do was to shake hands with Lancaster and say “You’ve got a great tan there, Neddy.” Things like that. I was supposed to improvise…

So we rehearsed about a dozen times and then we got ready for the first take but when this dish [actress Janet Landgard] came on instead of shaking hands with her I gave her a big kiss. So then when the take was over Lancaster began to shout: “That son of a bitch is padding his part” and I said I was supposed to improvise and [director] Frank [Perry] said it was all right. I asked the girl if she minded being kissed and she said no, she said I had more spark than anybody else on the set…

Lancaster heard her. Anyhow on the second take I bussed her but when I reached out to shake Lancaster’s hand the bastard was standing with his hands behind his back. So after the take I said that he was supposed to shake hands with me and he said he was just improvising. So on the third take I kissed her but when I made a grab for Lancaster all I got was a good look at his surgical incision in the neighborhood of his kidneys. We made about six takes in all but our friendship is definitely on the rocks.​

11. JozefK

Cairo 1942, photo by Cecil Beaton

[​IMG]

12. JozefK

Peter Lorre and daughter

[​IMG]

With Jerry Lewis

[​IMG]

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE: THE SAD LIFE OF CATHARINE LORRE

Catharine nearly fell victim to "Hillside Stranglers" Angelo J. Buono and Kenneth A. Bianchi, who approached her one night in 1977 intending to abduct and murder her as they had and would do to ten women before the law caught up with them. Learning she was Peter Lorre's daughter, they just let her go. They were movie fans and liked Lorre's work. Catharine was 25 at the time. After the capture of Bianchi and Buono, and their photographs were made public, Catharine realized who they were. Later in interviews, Catharine stated that she never felt threatened by either man: She believed it to be a casual and friendly encounter. Bianchi and Buono stated that the only reason her life was spared was because Peter Lorre was her father​

13. JozefK

During a London County Council election campaign run, Mickey Mouse is showing on a small screen in a city street. (1931)

[​IMG]

14. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Francis Ford and daughter
    [​IMG]

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  16. JozefK

Marilyn Monroe meets Lassie, 1952

[​IMG]

17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Nice.... My first reaction is to retouch out that object in the middle! On a closer look, something already has been retouched/cloned out between MM and that guy's leg.

18. JozefK

Susan Hayward, Joy Hodges, Rita Hayworth & Robert Stack (1939)

[​IMG]

Joy Hodges was a big band singer who had some success in Broadway musicals, but made only a handful of films. Her great claim to Hollywood fame is helping a young Midwestern radio announcer named Ronald Reagan get a foothold in the business.

Reagan never forgot the assist. The two kept in contact for 60+ years, and he invited her to the White House when he became president.

19. JozefK

Gregory Peck, Jackie Wilson, and Playboy bunnies

[​IMG]

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Della Reese appearing in a Kraft Foods commercial, 1977:

[​IMG]

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

You stumped me on the second photograph from the top (five men on the steps - Is the man on the right a young Trevor Howard?) and the last photograph of two couples at a restuarant table. Who are they?

smilin ed likes this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Spencer Tracy in the light top.
    Harpo and Zeppo Marx and wives.

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks.

Totally wrong about Howard/ Tracy. I vaguely thought I recognized the Marx brothers but wasn't sure.

Is that Tracey from his college days or something? What's with the riding boots two of the gents are wearing? And the three near the back are dressed as if they're in some para-military organization.

25. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Elia Kazan’s Baby Doll, 1956:

[​IMG]
    Carroll Baker

[​IMG]
    Carroll Baker, Eli Wallach