Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Thanks! I'll be exploring more Sullivan after being so impressed with Genesis.

Thanks for the tip on Tears for Dolphy. Agreed, the Freedom catalog has several challenging titles, but so far I'm liking the majority I've heard.

This is one such Freedom title that I recently acquired and enjoyed

It seems like maybe an initial run made it out of CDs, maybe vinyl too based on post about eBay source there in Australia (works out to $60 to US as noted). Perhaps there'll be a US-based seller of the pre-order inventory.
    I'm eager to hear from folks whether these copies come through and impressions of the music.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Six String likes this.
  2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

A couple of Pharoah Sanders to finish off the Impulse-listening month. Both were on the CD reissues in the series around the mid-late 90s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

4. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

[​IMG]

Some time soon I’ll try to tell you, and show you, more about my love for one of the greatest husband-wife discographies in jazz: Shirley Scott & Stanley Turrentine.

Got this beauty in the mail today, early seventies NM/VG++ reissue. I already knew part of the album because three songs were included as bonus tracks on the early 90s CD version of Stanley’s ‘Let It Go’ impulse! album. Those songs just grabbed me by the throat, so I wanted to have the album. Looking forward to give this a good spin this weekend!

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Released Today!

Eddie Henderson - Shuffle and Deal

[​IMG]

Released today, this acoustic quintet led by trumpet great Eddie Henderson came to me as a fresh breeze of bop based contemporary jazz. There's no doubt Henderson can still blow, but his melodic sense and ability to lay into a groove also remains intact. Of course, part of that contemporary brilliance comes from having included Kenny Barron's piano in the quintet. Sharing front line duties is altoist Donald Harrison, who brings just a little extra edge to provide slight contrast to Henderson's more melodic soloing. The neo-bop and funky fusion infused pieces (most namely the opening title cut) are a serious joyride. The following "Flight Path" sheds the funky fusion vibe of the opener and goes more serious bop, and is a marvelous song. While Henderson can bring the lush, romantic, and appropriately mellow tone from his brass, I was a little less enamored of the ballads here (with the exception of his reading of "God Bless the Child," which is just gorgeous). The slowly developing "Cook's Bay" evolves into a beautiful exercise in melody and easy bopping soloing over a gentle Latin beat.

In rock circles, there's a lot of complaint that rock music isn't as good as it used to be. Some of the music is every bit as "good," but it's not new or fresh; it sounds like so much of what had come before, so it seems tired. If the new music had come first and the classic period stuff was coming now, the same complainants would probably say the same thing. It's not always the music itself so much as it is the timing and sequencing of what sounded fresh and what sounds like a repeat. I suspect the same phenomenon exists to some degree in jazz, especially what we might think of as contemporary mainstream jazz. Based on my first listen, this album may well buck that thrend for me. There's really nothing new here, but this still sounds like great music (for the most part) to me. In 2020, that's quite an accomplishment, and Eddie&Co. are to be commended.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  6. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I don't quite get if you're responding to me. From this UK seller it would be £14.98 incl. standard shipping to the US.

7. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’m not a HUGE fan of Krall, but I do like several of her albums (esp. the earlier ones). I’m more attracted to Horn and Wilson than Krall truth be told.

Stu02 likes this.
  8. Mirror Image

Very nice --- I’ll have to check those out. Thanks for the recommendations. :cool:

9. Mirror Image

Pat Metheny Group: s/t (Japanese hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

10. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Eddie is one cool dude! :edthumbs:

Fischman likes this.
  11. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...nice! With Mike Clark of Headhunters fame. One funky drummer!

Campbell Saddler and Fischman like this.
  12. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Some new babies, Buddy Defranco 1960 and Eric Dolphy 1969, brazilian versions
    [​IMG]

13. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up! Swooped a copy, can't be without new Monk, especially if it has been withdrawn from issuance.

14. Mirror Image

Charles Mingus: Passions Of A Man: The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1961 (Disc 3)

[​IMG]

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Andrew Cyrille, Bill Frisell, Wadada Leo Smith - LaBroBa (ECM)
    Easing into the morning.

16. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

OK, two more Impulse both from Sam Rivers and both on original vinyl.

Hues is a compilation from 5 live dates between 1971-73 of mainly trios.
    Sizzle is a funky little five piece from Dec 1975. At times Ted Dunbar sounds like he's auditioning for Prime Time. Never out on CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...don’t know why, but that same seller has a U.S. eBay account as well. Still ships from the UK, but the price was $17 USD with free shipping. I also confirmed availability with them and all is good. In stock and shipping.

Sorcerer and alarickc like this.
  18. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (Impulse!/Analogue Productions CIPJ-26 SA)

[​IMG]

19. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Friday Miles - Aura

with
    [​IMG]

jcarter, Robitjazz, Xelfo and 7 others like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Haven't played this one for a while and I like it. It always surprises me that there are SEVEN tunes on this release, I ususally assume a Blue Note release has six!

Horace Silver, "Horacescope" 24 bit by RVG cd from Blue Note Japan.

[​IMG]

21. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Kurt Elling, my wife is a big fan of his, I’m still undecided but no real complaints Have you heard him cover ‘Hard Rain’? Pretty intense

Lonson likes this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

No, not yet. I'll get to it I am sure! ;)

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP John Tchicai With Strings (Treader)
    The cd cover has very little info but the cover is a bird in gold leaf on a white background and it really pops. There aren’t any real strings on the album but there are singing bowls, piano, guitar, cymbals, trumpet and samples along with John’s reeds.

24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Nice cover indeed.

[​IMG]

25. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Johnny Smith - Plus the Trio
    [​IMG]

Johnny Smith - The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar
    [​IMG]

There are days I could listen to Johnny Smith all day. Which is a little surprising because there's not a whole lot of diversity in his music. But what he does, he does with such immaculate perfection, that it never sounds repetitious. The word that comes to mind with regard to Smith is “tasteful.” All too often, “tasteful” can mean unadventurous or even boring, but in Smith’s case it is pure compliment with no detracting qualifications. His playing is refined but never to the point of being derivative or homogenized. Today I listened to Plus the Trio and The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar. Both are loaded with classic Johnny Smith, including his marvelous tone, excellent line choice, impeccable technique, tasteful enthusiasm, and straight up class. This is the kind of music that also serves equally well as background music or block-everything-else-out-and-be-fully-present-in-listening music.

Both albums are contained on the CD reissue of The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar. The sound quality of these recordings is very good and Smith’s crystal clear and well rounded tone comes through brilliantly. It’s hard to imagine enjoying a guitar album more than these marvelous recordings. Yes, the sound of the Johnny Smith guitar is as find a sound as I’ve found.