Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Perfect for the occasion. July 31st is Kenny Burrell birthday.

2. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Didn't know that!

dennis the menace likes this.
  3. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Gary Burton- Makoto Ozone Virtuosi
    [​IMG]

I was fortunate enough to attend their concert at the Montreal Jazz Festival in 2003, I have bought this album soon afterwards, As you are probably aware, Gary Burton holds a PHD in Music, and his concerts are always a mix of Very Good Music, and more often than not a course on Music history that pertains to the context of the concert. Excellent

Here is the tracklist

1 Le Tombeau De Couperin I - Prelude
    Composed By – Marc H. Bonilla*, Maurice Ravel
    5:14
    2 Excursions I, Opus 20
    Composed By – Samuel Barber
    5:32
    3 Prelude VIII, Opus 32
    Composed By – Sergei Rachmaninoff*​
    4:05
    4 Milonga
    Composed By – Jorge Cardoso (2)
    6:05
    5 Prelude II
    Composed By – George Gershwin
    6:23
    6 Sonata K20
    Composed By – Domenico Scarlatti
    6:35
    7 Impromptu - From Three Little Oddities
    Composed By – Zez Confrey
    6:04
    8 Piano Concerto In F - Movement III
    Composed By – George Gershwin
    6:18
    9 Lakmé Medley: Berceuse / Duettino
    10:24
    10 Capriccio II, Opus 76
    Composed By – Johannes Brahms
    5:51
    11 Something Borrowed, Something Blue
    Composed By – Makoto Ozone

As you can see the content , is more than enough to yield an interesting presentation by Mr. Burton.

4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Tomasz Stanko Quartet: Lontano

[​IMG]

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Great to see you finally set up T. Perhaps you can get your wife to take some pics of you dancing and post them for us to see

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I love that one! One of my favourite Burrells !

davidpoole likes this.
  9. I respect and cherish you both, and get you both prefer CD. It is great that we're different and enjoy different formats. I'm agnostic to the format (I've owned and listened to 1000s of CDs), just want the best sound, and often A-B vinyl vs. CD versions to see which I prefer. The sound is never identical in my experience, though sometimes too close for me to care. Do we even know if it is the same mastering engineer across both formats for the Palo Alto title? Totally agree that the price difference in the market today is crazy for this title, but expect I'll end up paying about $17 in some sale for vinyl eventually (e.g., Target 2 for 3). Also agree that there are oodles of records put out on vinyl in an opportunistic way which adds little to the listening experience.

Ha! Didn't even realize how appropriate it was to play Burrell today. Thanks for the heads up.

alarickc and dennis the menace like this.
  10. Thanks @Lonson for the recommendation!
    After your post I found a copy of the Savoy material in a local store, and am really enjoying this. I hadn't thought to go this far back in his discography, but Pepper seemed to be a winner right out of the gate.

NP: Art Pepper - Discoveries, The Savoy Sessions

The Keane NH college radio (WKNH) stickered the cover pretty extensively and I managed to butcher the sleeve during removal. Gah!
    That'll teach me to be impatient. The stickers require multiple soakings in lighter fluid and gentle peeling.

[​IMG]

KCLizard, jcarter, Berthold and 5 others like this.
  11. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, eeglug, jcarter and 9 others like this.
  12. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Yes, it's quite a story. I first learned of Johnny Smith from my guitar instructor. I was loving and taking guitar lessons in Colorado Springs, very close to the spot where Smith settled with his daughter. He had just passed at the time and my instructor was mourning a bit. I trotted right out and grabbed a copy of Moonlight in Vermont and was sad that I hadn't heard of him before. I would have lived to have met him.

13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Awesome meme! Yeah, Freddie is the one who immediately sprang to mind.

George Benson also had some high points with CTI.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Yesternow like this.
  14. NP: Various - Mirage, avant-garde and third-stream jazz (New World Records)

Lee Hulko mastered many of New World titles, and I've never been disappointed by his mastering. I'm hearing this for the first time and have a handful of other New World jazz titles queued up (all new acquisitions after scouring Hulko's discography).
    Given the title you might be surprised that the 'avant-gardists' here are Woody Herman, Ellington, Kenton. And sprinkled among these are Mingus, Tristano, Evans.

Anyone else heard titles from this label and its "Recorded anthology of American music"?
    I see 679 titles on Discogs, and its a quirky line-up. I picked up four including a Bebop comp, Nica's Dream, and Roots of the Blues.

[​IMG]

This one I didn't find (Ricky Ford), with our friend Charles Sullivan on trumpet, Richard Davis on bass, and I see a Cecil Taylor Unit title too.

[​IMG]

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

On your request, my wife snapped this picture of me dancing.

But as it is just one image from one moment in time, you cannot see my terpsichorean skills.

Notice that I snap my fingers behind the beat.

Pay no heed to the words at the bottom. I added those to keep the FBI off my trail. I like to lay low and attract no attention.

[​IMG]

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ok ya got a full on belly laugh outta me

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You can still go out and meet and talk with people who knew Johnny Smith very well.

I often find myself upset to learn of the passing of someone who knew my heroes, and who generally would love to talk about them.

Reach out and find these people before it is too late.

One of my dear friends knew not only Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Earl Hines, and so many other legends of jazz, but also worked for and advised both Franklin Roosevelt and John Kennedy. It was a thrill to spend time with him. I still talk to his daughter and glean some of that aura from her.

Fischman likes this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Joe Farrell

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope you were not having a beverage at the time. I would not want to be responsible for embarrassing you.

Stu02 likes this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laugh:

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

We had the hottest July ever recorded in the big smoke ( 85 years of stats) and it felt it. Sometimes the hot weather is sympatico w the music. Like this great Strata record
    [​IMG]
    i love everything about this. The groove, vocals, message ...
    Perfect record still perfectly relevant

22. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Just finished Gil Melle's Patterns in Jazz on MM 45. This is a quaint album. Though not incendiary like many of its classic BN era counterparts, this session is no slouch either. I'd love to pair it with some early Saturday morning coffee.

23. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

We're thankful to have one right here on this forum- hint, baby, it's you!

jcarter and alarickc like this.
  24. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Can anyone recommend any other songs like Ysabel’s Table Dance? It is so weird and exciting I just want to listen to it all day long.

[​IMG]

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm sure he could have continued to record, but I guess record companies weren't interested in a guy who wouldn't tour. I always wonder why out of the many ultra-rich people in this country some couldn't be jazz fans who subsidize worthy artists.

jay.dee likes this.