What's the difference between "Wings" and "Paul McCartney & Wings"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SolitaryMan

SolitaryMan Senior Member Thread Starter

Apple Music make this difference. Should I make it when I organise my music library?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  2. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Just fill it under Paul. There’s no real difference

3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It was Wings from jump but Paul was added to sell better then they went back to Wings. However unofficially most just say Paul McCartney and Wings for all.

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

more ego :shh:

john lennonist likes this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Wings is a myth , an illusion , smoke and mirrors...
    It' s Paul McCartney and a revolving door of musicians with Linda and Denny giving the appearance that it's a ' group '
    File all albums under ' M ' for MCCARTNEY.

7. SolitaryMan

SolitaryMan Senior Member Thread Starter

I know this is a stupid question, but how should I organize files marked "Wings", "Paul McCartney & Wings" and Paul McCartney? I have this OCD symptom where "Wings" and "Paul McCartney & Wings" really can't exist at the same time, but yet they do.

M321115, WvL, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've always thought of "Wings" and "Paul McCartney and Wings" as McCartney solo, with Linda being a Yoko substitute and a group of session musicians as backup.

9. Iowa Hawkeye Beatlefan

Iowa Hawkeye Beatlefan Forum Resident

I've never heard Paul say this directly, but I believe it started as just Wings, and when Wild Life didn't set the whole on fire in sales (by Paul's standards), it was probably suggested to add his name in front, which was that way for Red Rose Speedway and Band On The Run. After both of those albums were #1 albums, Wings was well known enough to drop Paul's name again. At least that's my theory. So it's one and the same, and debatable if it's really any different than Paul solo albums.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Actually, Paul wanted it to just be "Wings" - he resisted "Paul McCartney and Wings".

He only agreed to it because the suits pressured him. Wings didn't sell as well as hoped in 1971/72, and the suits thought that was because people didn't know P Mc = Wings.

He grudgingly agreed to make it "PM&W" - until 1973/74, when he topped the charts all over the place and changed it back to "Wings".

Which is where it remained until the band ended in 1980...

11. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

When I used a player that used sort tags, I had them sorted as “McCartney, Paul” and “McCartney, Paul and Wings.” They’d some up together, but with the Wings, etc. stuff pulled out from the others.

With the player I’m using now, they all just show up wherever they show up.

shirleyujest likes this.
  12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

File under “M”.

Mesozoic Mike, old4mat, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  13. kpa272

kpa272 Forum Resident

All Paul. "M"

Mesozoic Mike, old4mat, Adam9 and 4 others like this.
  14. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I had an employee that was dead set against filing Wings albums under McCartney and also he wanted the Young Rascals and the Rascals filed separately. Was sure we'd lose sales as some people might not know McCartney was Wings. Not sure if he was completely serious or just being a PITA for kicks. Left for school after a few months.

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Tag the "Album Artist" as Paul McCartney, then tag "Artist" with whatever it's supposed to be. That way you can search them or sort them depending on your mood, while still grouping everything under one name. Easy. For physical copies you have to make a more difficult choice...

16. Farmer Mike

73-74 is when the records got better, so it's hard to point to a name change, it probably didn't hurt.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I have them in the order of release from McCartney to his recent album.

Oaw, jricc, Memphisflash and 7 others like this.
  18. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I'm with your employee. Wings and Paul Mc are two different "library catalog" entries. I'd say most people aren't savvy enough to make the connection and will look for whatever alphabet letter falls off the tongue first. Same with your other example.
    Now, if he refused to bypass the word "the" in band names...then I'd say he was just being a PITA.

M321115 and D-rock like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

....couldn't have said it better. At best, Paul tried to make the illusion SEEM like reality. It didn't quite get there.

20. Farmer Mike

I was managing a store, not a library. If it meant that the couple people out of a hundred that didn't know that Wing's were McCartney's band, and had to ask for help, I was willing to take that risk. We filed the Young Rascals stuff under the Rascals, I doubt we missed much in sales. At least one manager had a Young Rascals header card that directed customers to the Rascals. Plus this was back when there were actually employee's on the sales floor, so again I doubt we lost much, if anything, in sales.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It was categorically "Paul McCartney and Wings" for one album, Red Rose Speedway in 1973 and one single, Live and Let Die.

Suncola and SolitaryMan like this.
  22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wings was a band, but after 'Wild Life' didn't sell well enough, EMI decided that putting Paul's name front and centre would help increase sales. After 'My Love' got to #1 in the US and 'Band On The Run' became a runaway hit album worldwide, they backed off.

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

[​IMG]

Look at that label - Red Rose Speedway-Wings - followed by 'Paul McCartney and Wings' which looks like it was added as an afterthought. The back cover of the album even reads "Wings Fan Club" not Paul McCartney fan club!

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Paul McCartney - The Family Way
    Paul McCartney - McCartney
    Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram
    Wings - Wild Life
    Wings - Red Rose Speedway
    Wings - Band On The Run
    Wings - Venus And Mars
    Wings - Wings At The Speed Of Sound
    Wings - Wings Over America
    Wings - Rock Show