‘Dishonest’ Films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Siegmund, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Definitely a fair point.

Couldn't we say the same thing about the Buddy Holly Story? Is it critical that the audience does or doesn't know the actual history?

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Maybe you and I.
    But not the majority of the viewing public.
    “We’re dumb all over”
    - F. Zappa

trumpet sounds likes this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I didn't see it but I know what you mean . Musical bio-pics are usually terrible because they either gloss the truth up or make up some nonsense for God knows what reason.

Tim1954 likes this.
  4. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Inglourious Basterds?

Jim N., Scott222C, Graham and 2 others like this.
  5. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Oliver Stone’s “J.F.K.” Making a hero out of a homophobic district attorney that distorted evidence. As Vincent Bugliosi said he found 53 pieces of evidence that Oswald did it and Stone couldn’t put one piece in his film. Stone found he couldn’t find a single gun that put out smoke like some people said the saw in the grassy knoll so he used a bellows from a smoke machine.

the 1940 biopic about George Armstrong Custer with Errol Flynn “They died with their boots on” about the only accurate thing is Custer liked onions. Although Custer did play a role in the Union victory at Gettysburg, it wasn’t the entire reason the Union won. And Winfield Scott wasn’t running things in Washington, he had been moved aside to West Point writing his memoirs.

Jim N., pdenny, arley and 6 others like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

The man owns this thread.

Frozensoda, Paul J, Jim N. and 14 others like this.
  7. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

If a movie is a fictionalized account based on a true story, I look at is just that- a fictionalized account. It's called "entertainment". If the viewer wants to get closer to the real story, do something called "reading". If it is made clear that the movie is a fictional account, I don't hold the film maker responsible for giving out misinformation- I hold the viewer responsible for not taking the time to learn the true history. Holding the film maker responsible for presenting false information in a fictionalized movie would be like making Jean Auel responsible for not teaching people the true story behind prehistoric humans. It's not anthropology, it's FICTION!

8. J.F.K. was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread. A bit surprised it wasn't the first thing listed as a response.

Jim N., Crungy, Moshe and 3 others like this.
  9. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Is there ANY documentaries that HAVE been honest?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Eh, I don't see films like this as dishonest. They are films, not documentaries. If you want it to be 100% factual, watch a documentary.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Had to be good reason Dylan dumped playing Hurricane all those decades ago.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Oliver Stone's JFK is the first film that came to mind. As skillfully and artfully made as it clearly is... it's absolute fantastical hogwash.

Still riveting to watch though. :shh:

13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I don't think QT was presenting his story as anything but an alternate reality. I had problems with the 3rd act, myself.

IronWaffle likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bonnie & Clyde...

Jim N., John B and Lownotes like this.
  15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Most bio-films.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Pretty much every musical bio veres considerably from the truth.

downer likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As with many Tarrentino films, even the title should give away the intent to tell a narrative, not necessarily an accurate account. Not apologizing, but we knew what we were in for, the director having already set precedents for a "story" over a "re-creation" previously.

scobb likes this.
  18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

No kidding, I've never even seen a Dewey Cox record in my life.

19. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Although a good movie, Denzel Washington's REMEMBER THE TITANS was way off the mark in relation to actual facts. The consolidated school was no underdog, and in fact, combined 3 schools, and had a tremendous talent pool. By all accounts the racial tensions were exaggerated(however, during this period there were some issues). One of the main storylines, is almost completely bogus. In the movie, one of the star players is paralyzed before the championship game. However, in real life, it happened months later.

Sports movies really irritate me with all of the embellishments. From what I've read the Kurt Russell movie about the US Olympic hockey team was pretty accurate. This proves you can stay close to the facts, and make a good movie.

arley and Fastnbulbous like this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park
    Magical Mystery Tour

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. JFK
    The Doors

John B, Crungy and All Down The Line like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Amadeus was a lovely film but counts as character assassination of Antonio Salieri.

Frozensoda, wayneklein, Efus and 3 others like this.
  23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I just ran across this the other night, I bought Dion's new album and watched a interview about it. Well this vid was next, Dion said no one has ever asked his input for any movies or documentaries. Here he tells some stories prior and on that tour till the crash and a bit afterwards. .

GillyT, trumpet sounds and ganma like this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"Tells some stories" is the right way to describe it, because his claim that he was involved in a coin toss for a seat on the doomed plane is most likely completely false. It contradicts the reports of multiple other people involved.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on the home video version of this film for director Alan Parker, and I was too afraid to ask him about all the discrepancies between Billy Hayes' book and the movie. It was a tough experience, but the movie came out pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.