For people with Rega Planar 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofferabild, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey.

On my fairly new Planar 3, I can hear a small amount of belt noise, but only if I put my ear as close as possible to the belt.

Is this normal?
    Will there always be a small amount of noise?

I have tried with several belts, but I can always hear a small amount. It is not something I hear in the music, but it still annoys me. I am currently using the Rega white belt.

Maybe I am just being OCD!

2. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

If you have good hearing and listen intently close-up you will hear some slight noise from many turntables which are working perfectly well. My suggested fix is to enjoy the music.

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have never listened that closely with my current Rega. I did listen for noise and feel for vibration from the motor after I got the TT-PSU. There did not seem to be any which I found amazing. I had a Goldring GR 1.2 which was a Rega P2 back then. When starting the belt would jump around on the subplatter and make a clicking noise but it would stop after a few seconds.

4. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

I was thinking yesterday, when do people change the belt on their Regas? How long does the belt last?

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Rega recommends replacing the belt on their tables every 4-5 years. If you've been enjoying your Rega table for longer than 5 years and haven't replaced your belt, why not upgrade to one of these belts and improve the performance of your analog rig!

'These belts' refers to the white belt. Rega has a newer belt that does not seem to be readily available yet. But, the black belt is the best for keeping the speed at 33.3 rpm. So far.

6. Kristofferabild

I just ordered a new black belt, since I have lost my original one. I have a theory that the white belt in combination with the very light subplatter is causing the noise. We will see.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    PhxJohn likes this.
  7. Kristofferabild

What colour will the new belt have? =)

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

It seems OCD because you only hear it when you put your ear against the player. Just stop looking for it and forget its even happening

9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Rainbow ! LOL.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  10. Kristofferabild

Rega red would be fitting.

11. LearnedHands

LearnedHands Well-Known Member

What is the sound? A squeak type sound? Would some degree of baby powder calm it down? For what it is worth, I never had an issue with my RP3.

12. Kristofferabild

Yes, a small squaking noise. I have cleaned everything thoroughly. Tried several white belts. Might try baby powder next!

13. Kristofferabild

I really try to but can’t really forget that the PU is basically a microphone that picks up everything even though I can’t hear anything when the music is playing.

14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Kris, if you have to put your ear next to the Rega to hear the noise, whats the problem? No offense, but it sounds like youre looking for a problem rather than actually having a problem.

If I put my ear next to my Rega with no other sounds happening, I can hear the motor running. Does this bother me in the slightest?
    No.

sturgus and Kristofferabild like this.
  15. Agree 100%. Forget it.

Fruff76 and Kristofferabild like this.
  16. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Don't get that stuff in the motor or bearing. Or your lungs !!

Kristofferabild likes this.
  17. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

P3 user here: no motor/plinth noise. Although, months after owning the tt, a "squeak" would present itself when initializing the platter, but it goes away shortly after. Read into it, and someone had suggested cleaning the motor pulley with regular alcohol pad and also using "baby powder or chalk" for the belt. I did and it took care of the short squeak I was having issue with. Turns out the belt was slipping at the initial turn which causes the sound.

As far as using the powder or chalk, I placed the belt in a ziplock bag and a small amount of powder - shook it for a minute. Don't use in excess, as PhxJohn said - you don't want it in your motor or bearing. Hope this helps.

PhxJohn likes this.
  18. Kristofferabild

Today I got a replacement black belt for my Planar 3 and lo and behold the noise I could hear with the white belt has almost disappeared.
    It also seems like the black belt fits more tightly on the turntable. Also no noise when starting anymore.
    Rega has stopped selling the white belt and it has disappeared from their website. I wonder when the new upgrade belt is coming...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    scarfaceclaw likes this.
  19. Yuan

Yuan Member

I can hear some weird noise when it starts and stops, but not when playing. It is a RP40, which is RP3 on steroids.

20. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I would guess the motor are making noise, hence get it back to dealer.

21. Kristofferabild

I finally got rid of the noise by cleaning the pulley with a bit of isopropyl.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.