How many bands have reunited with the original members and how was the comeback received? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought the Velvet Underground reunion produced a terrific live album. Apparently the same old tensions surfaced, though, so it was short-lived.

kt66brooklyn, ARK, Bruso and 6 others like this.
  2. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" Thread Starter

Good one, although they were missing a certain femme fatal female vocalist that went by one name.

3. Safeway 1

"Before They Were Rudely Interrupted"

Two Sheds, iggyd, Bruso and 2 others like this.
  4. Safeway 1

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not quite original members, but part of their most loved line up. Iron Maiden reunited with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. It went incredibly well.

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think Alice In Chains deserves a mention.
    Sans Layne, but William Duvall is a worthy successor.

veloso2, kt66brooklyn, agundy and 2 others like this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Max and Iggor Cavalera of Sepultura getting together after not speaking to each other for over 10 years. They've formed Cavalera Conspiracy in 2006 and recently did their live shows playing their classic albums such as Roots, Arise and Beneath The Remains in their entirety.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The Doobie Brothers in 1989. Not their original lineup, (bassist Dave Shogren wasn't there), but their lineup from their 2nd & 3rd albums. That version lasted until 1993 & released two studio albums. First album after they got back together went gold & had a Top Ten Pop hit in The Doctor that also hit #1 on the Billboard Rock charts.

Subsequent versions of the band have had at least three of the many members from over the years in the lineup, & Pat Simmons & Tommy Johnston, the band's co-founders have kept rocking together.

kt66brooklyn, ARK, agundy and 3 others like this.
  9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

It wasn't as well received as it should have been, but the s/t Television reunion album in the 90s was terrific, as was Slowdive's s/t reunion album from a few years back, which was well received, as was the tour.

mr.datsun, veloso2, iggyd and 9 others like this.
  10. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Yes, I saw both groups on their reunions. Cream at RAH (two shows) and The Police at Croke Park. Excellent shows in both cases. A shout out as well for Irish group, Planxty, who did a series of reunions shows in 2004 and 2005 (and then called in a day again). I saw the original line up many times back in the day but it was nice to see them make a short comeback.

11. zither

zither Forum Resident

Blur reunited in 2009 for a tour, following a six year hiatus. The original line up then recorded their first studio album in 12 years, following the departure of Graham Coxon in 2003. It's pretty good, and was generally well received.

veloso2, CheshireCat, agundy and 4 others like this.
  12. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Elvis Costello & the Attractions in 1994 (after an eight year break). Made a couple of solid albums and the shows were outstanding.

veloso2, Farmer Mike, anth67 and 6 others like this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Stooges
    Iggy getting back with the Ashton brothers was fun and it produced some good gigs. I wasn't mad on the album though.
    His reunion with James Williamson also came together nicely in concert.

14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Mk II Deep Purple in 1984. Technically, it wasn't the original lineup but it was the most popular one. Perfect Strangers (a great album that I still enjoy to this day) hit #12 on the Billboard album charts and the ensuing tour proved to be highly successful as well.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Dinosaur Jr.

It was pretty much acclaimed by critics and fans. Still making outstanding music.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    kenlea522, ARK, sekaer and 6 others like this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Aerosmith comes to mind. Arguably bigger the second go round once the classic lineup got back together. Critical acclaim YMMV, but they squeezed out about fifteen years worth of hit singles, strong album sales and successful tours that certainly took their status to a higher level than if they'd remained the band who'd self destructed by the end of the 70s

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I liked it too but it seems that Damon stretches himself so thin with all his projects that Blur seems to be last on the priority list

CheshireCat, hutlock and zither like this.
  18. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.
    Even though both reunions were "live" events, still great moments. I'm actually happy that I witnessed Audioslave via live webstream at least.

19. CBM

CBM Forum Resident

Definitely agree re. Dinosaur Jr. mentioned above.

I’d also say the recent Stereolab reunion was fantastic. Wouldn’t be surprised to have new music from them at some point.

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Monkees reunited for their 20th anniversary in 1986. The tour with Micky, Davy and Peter was one of the biggest and most successful of that year, and the cherry on the cake was when Michael Nesmith joined them at the Greek Theatre in September of that year. Subsequent reunion tours have also been successful, even after the passings of Davy Jones and Peter Tork.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Syntax
    Mike Tournier/Jan Burton
    Meccano Mind-2003
    Tripolar EP-2012
    Fans enjoyed it :)

22. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Nico was never actually in the band. She performed with the band.

No mention of Zeppelin and Floyd yet? Best reunions I know about. Two fantastic one-off concerts as a final goodbye and thank you.

I was nostalgicly happy to see the original KISS and the Sex Pistols back together. Don't personally care how they were received, made me glad.

I also believe, had Joe lived, we'd have gotten a decent Clash reunion. (Probably without Topper, which woulda hurt. Terry would have been okay.)

23. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

The Allman Brothers Band in 1989 was a massive success.

The original core of four (Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe) plus outstanding new musicians (Warren Haynes and Woody) led to 25 great years of tours, albums and runs at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.

Of course there was acrimony behind the scenes, and Dickey Betts left in 2000. However the reunion was definitely one of rock’s bigger successes.

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Some I enjoyed:

Bauhaus
    The Police
    VU

Cryptical17 likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Was actually the lineup for albums 2, 3 and 4. Keith Knudsen did not play on Vices, as many have suspected.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.