Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Interesting piece of music to say the least. Shchedrin has written music in very diverse styles.

royzak2000 likes this.
  2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This reissue series was exciting but unfortunately very short-lived. I do recall that the entire Westminster archive was sent to Europe and is stored with DG, Philips, and the other legacy Universal Classics labels there. So luckily they survived the tragic Universal lot fire, but sadly there seems to be no reissue activity.

dan c

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for a shipment from Presto to arrive at down under? Is Canberra still doing better than Melbourne on the Covid-19 front?

A 160-CD Haydn box! There must be quite a few conductors for those symphonies ...

TonyACT likes this.
  4. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Probably all the symphonies are conducted by Ivan Fischer, a great cycle. I havent confirmef this information.

TonyACT likes this.
  5. coopmv

Here is an interesting box I bought a number of years ago with a recording of Beethoven Piano Concerto with Gould, Karajan and the BPO. The only recording the two eccentric personalities had ever made together ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, TonyACT and -Sphinx- like this.
  6. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

Well, not enough reissue activity for such a fantastic label, but there has been some in the past few years. There was a modest box called "The Westminster Legacy" featuring 40 CDs issued in the West, while in Korea, there were two much larger collections which should have been issued by DG for the rest of the world. But alas. There is also a recent collection of Badura-Skoda, perhaps 20-22 CDs, but also not sufficient for his talent an importance. And there was a Scherchen box of 38 CDs in 2016, sadly out of print and a bit pricey these days. I think there may be others, but I can't recall. DGG should do a complete Badura-Skoda, but probably won't, and they should release the two Korean boxes as well, among others... Sad they are neglecting these treasures, but hey, that's the record biz, never well-known for its devotion to art and music...(for the most part).

bluemooze and Dan C like this.
  7. coopmv

I thought it was Adam Fischer who recorded all the Haydn Symphonies (originally) on Nimbus, which I have ...

TonyACT and Luisboa like this.
  8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Sorry, my mistake. Adam Fischer, not Ivan.

TonyACT likes this.
  9. coopmv

The BC version of these Haydn Symphonies is certainly a bit cheaper than the Nimbus series - 6 or 8 individual boxes ...

Luisboa and TonyACT like this.
  10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Scelsi String Quartets The Arditti.
    [​IMG]

11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Yes, it's the Fischer series which was originally on Nimbus.

I bought them locally, no more from Presto for now as postage has gone up in price and time during the pandemic. Which luckily is still avoiding Canberra thanks.

[EDIT] They used to take a couple of weeks, now it's more like a couple of months.

12. -Sphinx-

-Sphinx- OM - Ordinary Man

I have ordered a second hand DVD and BTW also used CD, this one, without actually checking it out:
    [​IMG]

Someone heard it.? Does it make any sense.? :confused: I actually quite appreciate this CD (but here the source material is much older and it's Telarc after all)

[​IMG]

I totally agree, I actually discovered this one quite recently - a really lovely recording!

NP (16-44):

[​IMG]

bluemooze, CMT, Luisboa and 1 other person like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

14. coopmv

My first Presto shipment during the thick of the pandemic took about a month to arrive. The next one took about 3 weeks and I am now waiting for one that was dispatched yesterday. Doing my part to keep these small merchants alive in these trying times, especially the English speaking small biz ...

TonyACT and CMT like this.
  15. coopmv

I have all the above recordings. The Telarc recording is particularly interesting ...

-Sphinx- likes this.
  16. coopmv

For those who have the blue-ray audio experience, how do you play the disc? I just ordered the following box but do not have the foggiest idea as to how to play the blue-ray audio disc. I can play blue-ray DVD on my computer but my universal player may not too old to play the blue-ray variety ...

[​IMG]

17. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The menu is pretty easy to navigate. The tracklist is for each symphony. 1-4 is Symphony #1, 5-8 is Symphony #2, etc. BTW, this particular disc is 2-channel only.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I cheat a bit and don't tend to actually play these as blu-ray discs. A combination of a blu-ray drive on my PC along with MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor yields a collection of hi-res FLAC files I can either play at my desk or on the go.

In fairness, that's not nearly the compromise it sounds to be as my desktop PC IS a pretty solid audio rig - probably the best in the house. These Emotiva monitors are phenomenal.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Well, since I put the disc in the player, listening to #4.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

22. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

I have that, as two separate Candide LPs if I'm not mistaken. Candide was a division of Vox, along with Turnabout. They issued a lot of more modern music.

canzld, CMT and royzak2000 like this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I would play it on my Oppo 205 Blu-ray player. :) [​IMG]

Åke Bergvall and bluemooze like this.
  24. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

25. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Stuff I've ordered from Presto recently and throughout the pandemic so far has actually not been especially delayed. Comes surprisingly quickly to the US. It's recordings I've ordered from Spain that have taken up to five weeks (normally about two weeks).

TonyACT and layman like this.