Which MONO Albums Are You Currently Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Great stuff! I have all of Prof's S&G needle drops too, and they're a sonic revelation compared with my own worn-out Singles and Mono albums.

hodgo and FJFP like this.
  2. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme because it's Yorkshire Day & Scarborough Fair is on it. I know Scarborough hasn't always been in Yorkshire as it's in East Yorkshire which has sometimes been called Humberside & sometimes the East Riding of Yorkshire or East Yorkshire. I've been to Scarborough & think it's a lovely place with lots of history & lots to do. I love the song Scarborough Fair & always sing along.

Happy Yorkshire Day!

3. I listen exclusively on headphones, so most mono recordings don't do it for me.

A few (very few) that I enjoy (on CD):
    Duke Ellington - Masterpieces
    B.B. King - My Kind Of Blues
    Wes Montgomery - In Paris
    John Mayall - A Hard Road

Gasman1003 likes this.
  4. GARY STIEBER

GARY STIEBER Well-Known Member

another reason I should pick this up before it sells out.

BroJB, hodgo and Mark E. Moon like this.
  5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

You’ve inspired me to queue up my UK Mono copy of this album next!

notesofachord, hodgo and HorseyAnn like this.
  6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Spirit S/T
    Hendrix Axis
    Ultimate Spinach Behold and See

7. HorseyAnn

I listened to "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at" 1st. Enjoy!

hodgo likes this.
  8. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Sgt. Pepper mono CD from 2017 box set.

9. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Japanese (2nd?) pressing of Soultrane.

10. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Still regret not buying both UHQRs of Axis, but at least the BG Mono repress is excellent (and affordable). Sorry, off-topic.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    elaterium likes this.
  11. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I listened to Robin and Barry Dransfield's version of Scarborough Fair this morning, sadly not in mono.

But it is a version sung by real Yorkshiremen and a great version.

I was inspired by my drive around the glorious Yorkshire Dales yesterday, using the Ribblehead Viaduct as a jumping off point.

The rear cover of the Dransfield album, "Rout Of The Blues" shows Robin and Barry on Whernside, which forms the backdrop of the viaduct in this photo.

[​IMG]

It was a glorious day, our summer probably, in God's own country, I'm biased my father was a Dalesman.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the Off-Topic post :oops:

12. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

Sinatra...Wee small hours and Songs for swinging lovers

abescan, notesofachord, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  13. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The latter of those was the album I played when I woke up this morning. A wonderfully chirpy wake up!

hodgo likes this.
  14. HorseyAnn

I enjoyed that version of "Scarborough Fair". Thank you very much for sharing. I prefer Simon & Garfunkel's version though. I always sing along & although genealogically I'm mostly Scots/Irish with some English & Norman-French roots I was born & brought up & still live in Yorkshire so I guess you could say when I sing along it becomes a Yorkshire version. (I've been to Ilkley which is lovely.)

It looks like you had a good time. That's great. (I've never been to the part of Yorkshire you're showing me but the Dales are a beautiful part of Yorkshire (I've been to different parts of the Yorkshire Dales) as is the East Yorkshire coast, Bronte country & "Last of the Summer Wine" country.

FJFP, hodgo and Gasman1003 like this.
  15. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I've been doing rounds of The Beatles mono box set (cd) of late. Which has been enjoyable especially when simultaneously referencing Revolution In The Head.

I am about to splash out on Axis Bold As Love and The Doors in their mono vinyl reissues. Not sure if that is wise but hey ho never heard either in mono or in a pressing older than '79 ish so it might be a nice surprise all around.

16. Gasman1003

My pleasure, I love the Simon & Garfunkel version too, but British Folk Music is my passion in music.

Yorkshire is a wonderful county, the area I was in yesterday was from the Cumbria/North Yorks border and then ambling around finishing at the Tan Hill Inn, the highest pub in England dating from the seventeenth century and formerly a rest place on an ancient drover's road. Then a quick blast into Kirby Stephen and the M6 home.

googlymoogly, hodgo and HorseyAnn like this.
  17. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles. 1987 CD edition.

Sounds fine to old cloth ears here. :)

raveoned, notesofachord, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  18. HorseyAnn

I like British Folk Music too, mainly on the Scots/Irish side.

There are good & bad areas in Yorkshire like everywhere else. I love Cumbria & parts of North Yorkshire like Skipton. Thank you very much for the information.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  19. Gasman1003

:tiphat:

I listen to a fair bit of Scots/Irish music, some traditional and other such as Runrig, Silly Wizard and Andy M. Stewart.

Much of it is sung in Gaelic, but that makes it all the better.

It was a plan when I retired to learn Scots Gaelic, but I haven’t got very far!! :oops:

HorseyAnn likes this.
  20. HorseyAnn

Me too & I sing along to a lot of Scots songs.

I know a lot of the Anglicised Scottish songs with just bit of Scots slang & a few Gaelic ones like "Ae fond kiss".

Scots/Gaelic is a hard language. Saying that I got asked what this blue plaque outside a hotel in the Loch Lomond area said & it was only in Scots/Gaelic & I managed to read it. There were a few Scots around who said "I didn't know you knew Scots/Gaelic.". My response was "That's funny. I didn't either.". I know "Slainte mhath" means "Good health" in the "Cheers!" sense.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  21. The SACD sounds wonderful too.

BroJB and hodgo like this.
  22. Gasman1003

That’s great, it is very tough, there are about twenty words for rain or raining as far as I can work out, can’t think why!

HorseyAnn likes this.
  23. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

It was headphone listening that got me into mono, to escape painful hard-panned mixes of 60s tracks.

unityofsaints, DBMartin and FJFP like this.
  24. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Mingus, "Black Lady and the Saint"/Impulse/RVG deadwax stamp. Surprising the things I find at yard/garage/flea market sales throughout the southeastern Appalachians, with vinyl often crated or stacked horizontally in sun and humidity sufficient to induce apoplexy. I bought it back around the 4th holiday and at $3 there was no risk for a classic mono edition like this, and even with pronounced warping along the exterior edge the surface appeared healthy. Just played it this morning after an initial cleaning, placement in a new non-static sleeve, and 2+ weeks in compression between cement boards pressured by a couple 25 pounds barbells. Brilliant results! Some staticky surface noise and a pop or click in places, but just a lovely recovery project that will pay listening dividends for decades!

25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

FJFP and Gasman1003 like this.