Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Collectors 1274 checking in! This is a big mutha.

With my Nixon bowling coffee mug for comparison

[​IMG]

Nice touch with the embossed seal sticker. Careful! It's paper and will rip easily removing it from the foam.

[​IMG]

2. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Absolutely LOVE the size! That mug really helps show the scale of it. (Thanks for the seal admonition). That's going in one of my display cases - me decided.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    omikron likes this.
  3. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Gosh, if I want to make and display all FOUR of these, I'd have to spend another 600! . . . . and what about a SEALED copy? (I can't keep doing this). :faint: @The Beave . . . . . :help:

With what I have just spent on you-know-what, my awesome Yellow Submarine will remain the sole Lego representative and ambassador of my collection! (OK, . . . I bought TWO subs!)

Not sure how good the sea-worthiness is on my opened built sub. When I got done, I had a few extra parts!:sweating:

Beatles Fan 4 Life likes this.
  4. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

Random thoughts about this reissue:

- "Beautiful Night / You're A B*stard" is indeed in much better quality than in In The World Tonight (ITWT is a recording from the monitor room, while this is the actual soundboard recording) but it still misses a few seconds right at the beginning.

- "Great Day [Instrumental]" is the snippet from One Hand Clapping, August 1974. No earlier recordings.

-""C'mon Down C'mon Baby" is from February 20,1997, so are "Great Day [Acoustic]" and "Calico Skies [Acoustic]" which are not from September 3, 1992 as noted in the booklet! It was recorded during the filming of "In The World Tonight" and you can see excerpts of it in the actual documentary."

- "Great Day" was written around 1969.

- "The Song We Were Singing [home recording]" was used as a guide for the studio recording, as heard in "The Song We Were Singing [rough mix]". You can even hear a slight excerpt from the demo in the final mix of the song (1:27).

- "Flaming Pie [home recording]" is said undated, but is most definitely from February 1996, since the melody evolved from a jam session during the recording of "Souvenir", which took place on February 19, 1996 (as mentionned in Club Sandwich n°82... which is in the boxset!).

- "Whole Life [rough mix]" is clearly the highlight of the set, especially the bridge. It could have been recorded with Lenny Cradock... Kravitz!!
    With more production and a better lead vocal, this would have be a strong lead single for the album!

- "Flaming Pie At The Mill" would be much cooler if there was the video accompanying it.

- Too bad the DVD doesn't feature the Conan interview (but an alternate cut in HD is available on Conan O'Brien YouTube channel). Also wish it featured the VH1 Special, but I guess that's because Paul misremembered (once again) "Here, There And Everywhere" being recorded before the filming of Help!.

- The book does mention "Cello In The Ruins" ("recorded before the first Flaming Pie sessions, McCartney and Lynne actually worked together on a song, 'Cello In The Ruins', at some point intended for the 1995 War Child charity album Help but never released. "It does ring a bell," says McCartney now, reminded of the song's title, "but god knows where the bell is."), "Soul Boy" ("kind of a 12-bar blues" says Steve Miller) and "Sweet Home Country Girl" (which is actually a Steve Miller track, so that's probably why it doesn't appear here.). Mentionning unreleased tracks but not including them is very intriguing to say the least.

- "Mr. Blue Sky" is mistyped as "My Blue Sky".

- No chapters.

- Nothing about the Oobu Joobu project.

- No mention of the MPL rooftop concert.

- Page 49 shows stills of Paul and Jeff Lynne said to be from "In The World Tonight"... but aren't!

- (out of context but it doesn't matter) "Dave Gilmour, who had appeared on Flowers In The Dirt's 'We Got Married' and would play a key role in McCartney's next solo album, Run Devil Run.". That sounds to me like a Run Devil Run Achive Set isn't out of question. Notice it doesn't mention his appearance on "No More Lonely Nights" and, even weirder, on "I Love This House" featured on Oobu Joobu Part. 1!

- The photos in John Hammel's notebook are from much later than 1997. If you look carefully at the "Mellotron" photo, on the left, you can see the customed mandolin from the Dance Tonight video!! So these pictures were taken between 2007 and now (maybe in 2016, when the instrument was taken out of the vaults to shoot a Pure McCartney VR video?)

And in the end, here are the credits for the B-sides as they appear in Club Sandwich n°85 that are missing in the booklet:

I LOVE THIS HOUSE (McCartney)
    Paul McCartney vocal, bass guitar, electric guitar
    David Foster keyboards
    Dave Gilmour electric guitar
    Dave Mattacks drums
    Producer Paul McCartney/David Foster
    Engineers Jon Kelly/Jon Jacobs
    Studio location Sussex, England
    Recording began 25 September 1984

ATLANTIC OCEAN (McCartney)
    Paul McCartney vocal, keyboard, bass guitar, electric guitar
    Phil Picket keyboards
    Louis Jardim percussion
    Stuart Elliott drums
    Martin Barre guitar
    Producer Phil Ramone
    Engineers Jon Jacobs/Steve Lyons
    Recording began 20 March 1987

SQUID (McCartney)
    Paul McCartney all instruments
    Producer Paul McCartney
    Engineers Matt Butler/Eddie Klein
    Recording began 12 December 1986

DON'T BREAK THE PROMISES (solo version) (McCartney)
    Paul McCartney lead vocal, guitar, bass, harmonium
    Hamish Stuart electric guitar, backing vocal
    Producer Paul McCartney
    Engineers Geoff Emerick/Matt Butler
    Recording began 9 June 1988

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2020
  5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The hell with S’Macca, I want one of them there mugs!

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

:)
    Most women I know-including my wife says size doesn t matter. Guess they are not talkin about boxed sets
    :)

JLPMacca, omikron and Sargon like this.
  7. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I think they just removed the 25% off, as that sale ended yesterday. :)

colindpratt likes this.
  8. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

[​IMG]
    Your Amazon Today's Deals Amazon App

[​IMG]
    Mr. (General Ursis) Sargon Sir!

You will receive a refund of $94.74 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the following item decreased after you ordered, and we gave you the lowest price.

(Now I just need a price match refund of 526.00 on my 2 full price 1300.00 dollar order - Collector's editions). Checking my email from PaulMcCartney.com for it every 20 minutes now! :yawn:

omikron likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

After hearing the download version with just guitar and going back to the main album version, I find George Martin's score absolutely essential. It is a fundamental character to the song and is absolutely brilliant and sweet. I love this song. One of my favorites on the album.

10. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

She's a beauty alright. I also have a first annual Lebowski Fest (2002) poster that I will someday hang in my future music shrine room to look at while I drink my Nixon coffee.

My bad. It's from the 3rd annual.

[​IMG]

11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I guess there is no rhyme or reason to the shipping stuff. I ordered from Bull Moose on Wednesday, and the deluxe box is in my living room today. I hope you get yours soon.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So wait, it is actually that big? I thought that was just some weird shipping box. How does it look when you open it?
    Does someone have an unboxing video for this puppy?

omikron likes this.
  13. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

The "crackling" sound is also on the original CD as well. I just heard it. Starts at 3:05 and extends to the end. It's supposed to sound like an old phonographic record. At that 3:05 mark there's also a very sharp acoustic string pluck that is more pronounced in the remaster because the whole presentation is brighter, with more separation. But the "blip" isn't a tape edit but just that pluck being more vivid in the mix.

Carlox, Yorick, The Quiet One and 3 others like this.
  14. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

It's about the size of 4 archive books.

15. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

You obviously can't hear it on your system but there is definitely an issue and it has nothing to do with either an intentional sound or an enhanced sound. It's not a crackling sound but a clear remastering fault. Do you have the 2 cd version?

16. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

It occurs at about 3.05 to 3.06. It sounds a bit like a DJ scratch. It definitely does not appear on the original.

omikron and Little Willow like this.
  17. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

That's right!

18. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Yes. I compared both. Where exactly is the fault? I might have gone to the wrong part of the track.

19. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I know. These are supposed to be carefully remastered under McCartney's supervision. So much for that!

20. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Kiddos to Bullmoose. Lps and deluxe are waiting in the record room. Shipped to Indiana, from Maine, in 2 days.

Wingsfan2012 and Sargon like this.
  21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

My deluxe set that I (re)ordered yesterday afternoon arrived today! The lp set should be here later today as well! It’s a thing of beauty! This will have most of my attention for the next month or so (until the new Prince deluxe set is released anyway!)
    Can’t believe we’ve been following all the rumors, leaks and insider info since January 1st! Who knew 2020 was going to be such a crazy year, just glad this thing exists and is finally in my hands!

omikron and Eska68 like this.
  22. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Collector's edition #1454 has been baked and delivered here! It's beautifully made. Everything. The outer box, the art prints. Very nice. .

23. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Ok, I hear it. There's a sort of "thwack" syncopated with the plucked string.

24. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Until you hear Souvenir!

25. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

My deluxe edition from Udiscover still has not shipped and I have not received any notification. I sent an email yesterday and got back an automated response that someone will respond back to my inquiry. Is anybody else who ordered from Udiscover experiencing this?

Christobal likes this.