So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

GetHappy!!, MrRom92 and Dillydipper like this.
  2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Wasn't the biggest fan of BT either but I've grown to accept it. Still, I agree with you on the aux-in, it's a nice option to have.

Also of note is that some devices are moving to aptx or other improved technologies so BT will just keep improving over time.

PhilBiker and TimM like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe I had that $35 a month already earmarked for rental on my wife's iron lung.

Just because you have money that is not the manufacturers', that doesn't mean they can expect they have the right to make you spend that as well, to make up for their intentional equipment deficiency.

shokhead likes this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Because 99 out of 100 people don't consider it a deal-breaker, most likely.

If more people did, then they'd offer it as a standard or even an optional item. I know we will ultimately only agree to disagree on this one, but CD players are slowly becoming as useful, for most people, as cassette decks. Moving from dealer to dealer will ultimately be self-defeating if they don't have the option to even give you.

But sure, use it as a negotiation tactic if you think that will help haggle on the cost. Nothing wrong with that, if it works.

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

No, sparky. That's not what I'm paying the $35 a month for. Try to keep up.

6. Dillydipper

You have no filter for allegorical example of point-by-point, do you.

Here's a good example of a contrarian position that takes into account, the opponent is serious, and is willing to meet him halfway:

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Why 2021 Lexus LC convertible is keeping the CD player.....and the 471 horsepower V8 engine

2021 Lexus LC Convertible Keeps V8 And CD Player For The Same Reason

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

See Doug Demuro's video he loves the car and thinks that it will be (relatively) cheap as a used car in a few years because so few people are going to buy it.

I just picked up a nice used car and it has a CD player as well as Bluetooth, iPod connector, and USB connection for audio. I find MP3 served up by my iPod is sufficient given the limitations of the Harman/Kardon sound system. I'll probably rarely use the CD player given what I'm getting from my old iPod loaded with some favorite albums at relatively high bitrate MP3. (Sound quality is also quite compromised when the roof is open.)

[​IMG]

JeffMo likes this.
  10. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Haven't used a CD in the car since 2003 and none in the 5 cars since then.
    There is none in my current 20 Genesis G70.
    Either listen to 1 FM station or music from the hard drive or Sirius if I'm desperate.

11. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

100 dollars and more than 100 hours to rip the collection. LOL Too much work for me to contemplate. I mostly listen to XM now.
    I really miss the CD player but am not naive enough to think car manufacturers or dealers give a darn about my opinion of such an "old" technology. I do wish my car had an AUX input though. My understanding has been CD players were eliminated mostly due to size and the real estate in (especially smaller) cars is needed for other uses. But how much real estate could an AUX use?

TimM likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

That is the obvious answer. I have a Mini-Cooper, that allows easy access via thumb drive. I also have a 1300-song library left over from my days running an online radio station. Unfortunately, I can't just shuffle 1300 songs in that car; their tech won't even allow for more than around 30 of them on the thumb drive to play, no matter what the flash drive storage capability is. I can also change the order of songs played, but I have to re-title them to make that happen. There is no "shuffle" option, so that robs one of the most significant capabilities of the technology.

Fortunately, my Mini is still old enough to offer a CD player, which will even play discs I burn myself. So I personally, am at least covered in that respect. What I resent, is losing the advantage of a more universal technology, to an even more restrictive technology, and them justifying it by making it more convenient for people who are willing to purchase "extra equipment" (the cellphone) at their own expense, to utilize it. That seems elitist to me. Bully for those who are fortunate enough to afford, and have an excuse for, extra equipment that will give them the extra benefit, at the expense of those who can't justify that expense...and then have to suffer the indignity of the "have"'s in this forum, chide us "have-nots" for not keeping up with some metaphorical Joneses.

This is not a "forum" thing, or an "improved technology" thing; it's a "societal" thing. Like offering a new kind of floor mat that only benefits Laboutins...at the loss of a floor mat that would otherwise accommodate those wearing Crocs as well.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Relevant to the discussion : I just purchased a FiiO M6 a few days ago. Reason behind it was to begin retiring a few of my older DAP's / consolidation of functions so as to make my life generally less complicated.

Still kicking the tires but it has decent battery life, microSD slot allegedly supports up to 2TB(?) which doesn't even exist yet. USB-C so I only need to carry one cable / powerbank between this and my phone. Headphone jack of course. But for this discussion it also has BT and it does work in my car, as the device uses a stripped down version of Android. So, assuming one has to buy a 128GB microSD for it [I personally did not], we're talking about a cost of about $160. Plus of course the time to rip CD's to it but those rips were done long ago, it's just a file copy to this thing today.

I don't consider myself elitist. I'm actually more inclined to be considered a cheapskate. But if this initial cost allows for more efficiency to get to my tunes on-the-go, it's money well spent. May even "pay for itself" if I sell off those older DAP's, or get fairly close to it.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

If you don't consider yourself elitist, you should have expected the dealership to give you a discount so you could purchase that on their dime.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Actually the reverse may be more accurate.

16. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

what are you talking about? you don't need to pay a fee to load a bluetooth capable player with tunes. You can get something that works for like $50, and can store hundreds of discs even in lossless.

PhilBiker and weekendtoy like this.
  17. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

more like 99999 out of 100000

PhilBiker, weekendtoy and Gaslight like this.
  18. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

listen, I love old **** as much as the next guy, my listening room is full of it. But a bluetooth (or even aux jack connected) player in a car is so much better than fumbling with discs. Just on every level, having CDs in the car sucks. If you are sticking to that in 2020 then it is out of pure stubbornness or possibly technical incompetence.

PhilBiker, subzro and weekendtoy like this.
  19. Dillydipper

How many people can not even read my debate posts? I was referring to phones, which are the excuse car manufacturers use to not put CD players (or cassette players) into cars anymore: "because people have phones". They do not take into account those who do not have phones, on the conceit that there are so many that do. What part of "discrimination" does not ring? Sure you can spend your own money to provide yourself a cheaper solution to the problem they have presented you - which for decades they did not. But, it is not their business to expect that just to make up for their own refusal.

Okay, let's say I do get "something that works for like $50"...it's still coming out of my unintended budget, and there's no reason they shouldn't pay for it, if they made it necessary.

Let's take the example of "they don't need a player, they have a phone" trope. What if, instead of "phone", a car manufacturer instead worded it, "We won't put players into our cars anymore, you'll have to buy yourself an inexpensive mp3 player". Now, if they did that, particularly in this current passive-aggressive culture, there would be hue and cry about it, how the car makers are stickin' to customers, how they don't respect the budgets we have to live with, yadda, yadda, yadda...and they'd say that, even knowing they probably already have a phone to use! Because just hearing it said outloud, would finally put it into proper perspective for the general public: "they're not taking our handy devices into account...they're telling us we have to buy something extra after we just shelled out all this money for a new car!"

So yes, sublemon, that is what I am talking about.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  20. Dillydipper

I agree. But I don't agree with their offhand dismissal of people who don't have phones, to have to pay for even a cheaper solution themselves. This is not "pure stubborness", and it's certainly not "technical incompetence". It's principle: something you base your whole life around.

21. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Ahem, some new cars still have a CD/DVD player.

22. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

but the car manufacturer has give you a better option (and possibly cheaper too) by including a bluetooth or whatever capable player instead of a disc player. Would you be happy if the manufacturer said, you can get a disc player for +$500, because 99.99% of our customers do not want them anymore, the cost of including a non-standard item does not scale and requires custom work. Or you can have the standard player and buy a compatible device or your choosing to use with it.

23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

sure, but is that really the criteria you want to focus on when buying a car?

Billy Infinity and Gaslight like this.
  24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I can't figure out what you mean. People would complain because the dealer said mp3 player instead of phone, even though they know that their phone is an mp3 player and thus will work fine? But whatever, it's a ridiculous argument.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exactly. While I'd like to have a CD player in my car when I buy I new one 2-3 years from now, it's not gonna be a determining factor.

Especially since they're so scarce. I'm happy with my Civic and have no desire for a bigger car or different kind of car.

Is it possible Corollas or other similar models will have CD players in 2022-23? Sure, but it seems pretty unlikely, so I'd have to seek out a kind of vehicle I don't want - just to get a CD player! :crazy:

PhilBiker and Gaslight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.